• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Galoshes/rubbers/overshoes

JFK

Reaction score
I don't want to hijack retronotmetro's thread about foul-weather shoes, but it reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask; does anyone use Galoshes (aka "Rubbers" or "Overshoes") any more? If so, any recommendations for a favorite brand? If not, what do you do when you're wearing your favorite dress shoes and it starts pouring rain? (After all, the weatherman can't always be right...
smile.gif
)

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear them about twice a year -- only when it's really pouring outside and I happen to be wearing really good shoes that day and I must go outside for some reason. I keep them in my office, way in the back of the closet. I bought mine at Brooks Brothers about 10 years ago, and they're still going strong. They are quite dorky-looking, but they do what they're supposed to -- keep my feet and shoes dry.

JFK

Reaction score
They are quite dorky-looking
That's what I always thought about my dad's when I was a kid
smile.gif
- now that I don't constantly wear sneakers any more, I'm beginning to see the wisdom in having a pair stashed away...

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep a pair in my office and at home (and probably should keep one in the car with my umbrella). I don't think there's much of a difference between brands, that is to say I'm not aware of any premium rubber overshoe companies. I prefer the type that covers most of the shoe, as you never know when you're going to be forced to step into snow.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You never know when you're going to be forced to step into snow.
Unless you live in SoCal, where the sight of accumulated snow outside my office would almost warrant sacrificing a pair of shoes. Except for the Edward Greens
smile.gif

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(TCN @ 12 July 2004, 1:36) You never know when you're going to be forced to step into snow.
Unless you live in SoCal, where the sight of accumulated snow outside my office would almost warrant sacrificing a pair of shoes. Â Except for the Edward Greens
smile.gif

In Michigan, we can get snow absurdly late into what passes for Spring around these parts. It can also rain a half hour after cloudless skies. We like to tell ourselves that the Autumn makes it all worthwhile . . . that keeps us from going insane.
wink.gif

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To not have a pair of galoshes to cope with the horrors of a Michigan winter--deep snow banks, salted sidewalks, slush, ice, puddles etc... would be like not having ABS on your vehicle. When dealing with the ravages of weather, I'm grateful to keep my shoes (and feet) dry. All better shoe stores carry good "galoshes". It is wise to try a pair on to make sure that the fit is OK. In Michigan, we only have two seasons: winter and road construction.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Michigan, we only have two seasons:  winter and road construction.
I spent a winter in Minneapolis once, and their variant of that saying was "2 seasons--winter is coming and winter is here."

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out the Tingley overshoe site. Â Tingley

smartie_addict

Reaction score
Just thought this topic should be resurrected due to the inclement weather conditions (especially in Michigan.) and the plethora of shoe care questions. I, too, once thought my father's "rubbers" a bit dorky but having nearly slipped and broken my arse after walking on dry tile coming in from the snow, I see their practicality. Not only that, but their usefulness in negating the necessity of polishing/cleaning daily due to water/salt buildup far surpasses their dorky appearance. A practical, worthwhile investment for very little money, in my mind.

riahvi

Reaction score
Here in NYC, overshoes are really becoming rarity. Especially on
guys under 60. But I wear them because I have quality shoes and
don't like carrying shoes around. Guess it make me a nerd but
I own several pair one for the office and two for home. And never
go on a trip to europe without throwing a pair in my suitcase

Tingley makes a black storm rubber that is a classic. It's wide enough
to fit over most shoe styles and has a full tongue to cover shoe laces.
And they are fexible and lightweight enough to shove into a plastic bag
and put them in your breifcase or computer bag when you don't want to wear them.

You can buy them on the internet or at shoe repair stores the prices
run from about 12 to $25 dollars so check out a few places if money is
an object

They look just like the pair I wore to school in the 60's but mine
were brown then.

Tingley also makes a moccassin loafer style that looks like a high vamp
(no penny ****) venetian loafer. I wear these a lot when it rains or snows.

I spray them with Armorall (the tire protector) and they look like shiny
black loafers. I was in Montreal last year and there's a Canadian
company called ACTON that makes the really old-fashioned rubber
ones with a high gloss. They look dorky but I am sure they are pratical
if you live in a northern climes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads