• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gallery owner

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a client of mine who is a wealty, art gallery owner in NYC. I need to take him shopping for some new clothes. So... if you were a gallery owner, how would you dress?

I'm thinking some crazy Etro suits, we'll definatly go to Bergdorf's. Also, perhaps a bold navy or black pinstripe suit. For shoes, I like Berluti (where can I get these in NYC?), but he might be too old. Definatly a linen suit for the summer, I like the new RLPL stuff.

I'm not thinking understated at all here. This guy will be the flamboyant gallery owner.

gregory

Reaction score
I'd love a very tailored and expressive look.

Maybe

1) black/navy solid suit + blue gingham shirt + orange tie

or a variant

2) black/navy pinstripe suit + blue shirt w/white collars and cuffs + orange tie

or something wilder

2) dark blue trousers + sky blue gingham shirt + mid-blue solid/subtly patterened tie + orange sportsjacket

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I suggest something along the lines of a Paul Smith suit or Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche. As well as perhaps Gucci, Etro, and Jean Paul Gaultier too.

For shirts Etro, Paul Smith seem fine choices. I have seen some nice silk shirts from YSL, and Gucci. Even Versace might work.

Berluti's are quite exquisite. Go with their Tatouage(sp) line or Dandy. Oversized sunglasses I personally I have a thing for, and maybe would work for this art dealer. Boucheron currently has some fine pieces in terms of jewelery.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go for dark colored suits with bright accents - a navy or midnight blue suit with orange or lavender pinstripes paired with a paisley shirt and some tan colored shoes and matching belt, for example, conveys power, but also expressiveness. No sunglasses at night - that is just way too clichÃ
00a9.png
d. If you want accent jewelry, and you want it to be flamboyant, try a Chrome Hearts bracelet.

I like the idea of the navy suit with a blue gingham shirt and orange tie. To spice up this look, you might want to pair it with a really interesting belt. Maybe get him into a proper jewelers and have a special buckle made, or look for one in a vintage shop. I like the idea of a celtic belt - a little different from the prevailing western belts that I think are really starting to bet played out.

And of course, if he is a gallery owner, he needs a proper black suit. I wear mine with everything, from white shirts to silk paisley ones - depends on his personality. If he is really innately supercool (which I suspect he is not) maybe he could pull off the all black look. You know, a black Dior or Helmut Lang suit with a black shirt and a black tie - maybe even a leather tie. Okay, you've gotta be really sure of yourself, and have just the right look, to pull this off. I tried once - bad, very bad, idea. If he really has money, I light the look of a Lucien Pellat-Finet knit under a black suit.

The blue suit/orange tie thing is pretty standard, but do you think this guy can really pull this off the flamboyant stuff though?

Of course, I'm not a gallery owner. But if I were, I'd probably try all sorts of crazy crap. Way, way more crazy than these suggestions - but then again, I probably wouldn't need a consultant. Or maybe I'd need one to stop me from expressing my inner Elton John/David Bowie/Mick Jagger.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stop by Paul Smith. They had a small assortment of suits left from the summer line marked down 40%. I was looking for something I liked in my size, by alas, nothing sufficiently conservative remaining.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with paul smith/ etro...something with a funky lining in the jacket might be good. Monkstrap shoes, too.

vero_group

Reaction score
None of the gallery owners I know would dress the way you guys are suggesting. Gallery owners are business people. The artist may be flamboyant, but the owner is generally conservatively dressed with perhaps notable accents. The more contemporary the art gets perhaps the more notable the accents get. If the gallery is not modern or contemporary, I would think the owner would be simple and traditional in his attire -- his clients will be conservative too.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of the gallery owners I know would dress the way you guys are suggesting. Gallery owners are business people. The artist may be flamboyant, but the owner is generally conservatively dressed with perhaps notable accents. The more contemporary the art gets perhaps the more notable the accents get. If the gallery is not modern or contemporary, I would think the owner would be simple and traditional in his attire -- his clients will be conservative too.
Good Point.

In the retail industry when designing a store we try and create an atmosphere which is pleasant without detracting from the clothes. Having people come in and look at the store and its fixtures is nice but we dont want it to take away fro the clothingI guess if this guy looks like a flambouyant type and the clients cant keep their eyes off his etro tie thats not a good thing.

I say Keep it toned down.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps a combination of classical styles with the ever-present splash of color might be the best strategy here. Perhaps 6-4 DB suits in dark colors (black, blue, dark gray, etc...) with non-white subtle pinstripes might do the trick; red pinstripes on a black suit, blue pinstripes on a medium gray suit.

Or maybe solid color one-button SB suits with the aforementioned orange or other tropical colored tie (woven would probably look more dignified than a print) and contrasting shirt, perhaps patterned? Turnbull & Asser has a lot of loud shirts with white contrasting collars, self-cuff and fascinating colors / patterns / stripes. As well, when wearing a bold striped shirt, it is not too loud, because only the gorge will dictate what is seen, plus when a tie is placed in the middle, what is actually visible is only just a hint on color.

Jon.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very well so, but this guy needs to stand out, not fit in. I need to turn him into a person who makes heads turn when he walks in the room, making everyone say "Who is that?"

It is better to be looked over, than over-looked.

There will be no subtlety in his future wardrobe. However, it will be done completly tasteful. I like LableKing's and LAguy's suggestions. Definatly Etro and Paul Smith are on the agenda, and as the Foxx said, monkstraps too (double monkstraps).

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

VWpete

Reaction score
Mike... Love your ideas. May I suugest a handful of great pocket squares (both linen and silk) to add a flash of fun to the suits. A distinguished pair of Chelsea boots may be great as well. Also, be sure to check out Richard James ties at Barney's for rich color and pattern.
All the best,
Pete

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Mike C. - were you able to find Berluti in the city. I think they're only sold in their own stores. The Santoni and Lattanzi stores may be options or maybe StefanoBi at Domenico Vacca.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads