• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Galaxy S4

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The new iPhone should treat you fine then. Unless, of course, you develop the same glitch I did on Monday that makes my battery discharge completely in about four hours.

The S4 is bigger. Holding m I-5 over Mrs. Piob's S4 and her screen is about the size of my entire phone. One way I-5 wins is the metal case feels good in the hand vs. the plastic of the S4. Mrs. Piob is a bit of a computer nerd though and has her new phone customized to hell and back. I do miss being able to customize.

To be fair, android is known to occasionally have a glitch where exchange mail runs down the battery...like the iphone 5, removing the exchange account and adding it back fixes the problem for a while...but who wants to keep entering all of their exchange info over and over?

The case design is why the HTC One Mini interests me...but from the photos, it looks like it is barely any smaller than the HTC one...I was hoping it would get closer to iphone size.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Oh, have not seen this Exchange thing...so delete the email account and add back?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh, have not seen this Exchange thing...so delete the email account and add back?

I thought someone mentioned it in response to your complaint in the other thread? Just delete the account and add it back. If you have a lot of email, might be best to wait until you have wifi before doing it since it will have to re-sync everything.

But of course, it only works if the culprit is exchange mail.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Nope, I got tips to kill all apps in the tray and location services. Neither of those worked, and looking at my batter meter, I'm thinking this might not have been the culprit either. Thanks for the idea though.

Edit: Upon a reboot and further review...think this might have done it. Thanks, mang!

Last edited:

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The case design is why the HTC One Mini interests me...but from the photos, it looks like it is barely any smaller than the HTC one...I was hoping it would get closer to iphone size.

Really? Here it looks like the size of the IP5.

I have trouble visualizing Fumma with a S4. IMO, I'd go with an HTC One in place of an IP5. The S4, with all its bells and whistles will be a huge pain ********** to learn. But even the One has a very large screen, and that doesn't seem to be something anyone not watching tons of Appreciation really wants.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Really? Here it looks like the size of the IP5.

I have trouble visualizing Fumma with a S4. IMO, I'd go with an HTC One in place of an IP5. The S4, with all its bells and whistles will be a huge pain ********** to learn. But even the One has a very large screen, and that doesn't seem to be something anyone not watching tons of Appreciation really wants.

Those two phones aren't lined up evenly...the mini is a decent fraction of an inch below the full size one (they are lined up by the screen edge, not phone edge). If you were to line them up straight, I don't think it would be very different. The bezel got bigger so while the screen is noticably smaller, the phone still looks pretty big.
Since the One is already a huge item, I think being barely shorter than it would be...not much of an improvement.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here, I lined them up.

I also took some meaurements of the image. Going by the wikipedia height of the One at 5.41 inches, the mini in the photo would be 5.25 inches tall.

Wikipedia lists the iPhone 5 as 4.87 inches tall.

At almost half an inch taller than the 5 (which is taller than the 4), its kind of hard to call that thing "mini"

edit: the dimensions I am seeing for the S4 mini are: 4.9 x 2.41 x 0.35-inches which is .03" taller, .1" wider, and .05" thicker than the iphone 5 (thinner than the iphone 4). Seems like samsung was more successful at scaling down their flagship than HTC.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. I don't know about the HTC, but the S4 mini is a lower PPI. Something between the original S and the iphone 4 retina. Still a Super AMOLED display, and I am not really bothered by the pixel density on my S...so I think it should still be fine.

1080p on a 5 inch screen was kind of unnecessary anyways...

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, I am not sure I understand the fascination with high PPI phones. I think it is great and absolutely a step in the right direction...but why is nobody clamoring for that **** on the desktop?

I spend 8+ hours every day staring at a 23" monitor with the same number of pixels as the S4, giving it a ppi of 96. If I am perfectly content to do that for years on end, I can't quite see why people would actually be bothered by having only 3x that on the S4 mini. Yes, I hold it closer to my face than most people use their computer monitors, but I don't stare at it for hours straight. having ~3x desktop ppi on the mini vs 4.5x on the S4 just seems like fanboyish masturbation (the better argument would be for displaying 1080p content in native resolution, especially if you can connect an external display). I thought apple did the math and determined that the retina's 326ppi (~3.4x my desktop display) was about as good as the eye could see at that distance.

Its good to push for it though. At home, I have a 27" monitor running at 2560x1440. This only bumps it up to 109 PPI (which is nice...but could be way better)...but windows doesn't deal well with it. W7 is better, but older windows really had no idea what to do with a high PPI display. Apple has tried to bring the retina brand to the computer-space, but its kind of a ****** transition since OSX also has a lot of trouble with high-PPI on most 3rd party applications...so the retina displays aren't the same as the displays in the phones.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People are clamoring for them on desktops. Everyone knows that Apple is working on Retina iMacs and Thunderbolt Displays. It's very much on a lot of people's wish list to see this happen sooner rather than later. The only real question is how long will it take them to get that type of display tech at an affordable level matched with enough power to drive the larger, higher resolution, sizes.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

People are clamoring for them on desktops. Everyone knows that Apple is working on Retina iMacs and Thunderbolt Displays. It's very much on a lot of people's wish list to see this happen sooner rather than later. The only real question is how long will it take them to get that type of display tech at an affordable level matched with enough power to drive the larger, higher resolution, sizes.

I dunno about that. People on tech sites are clamoring for them on desktops. And Retina is certainly helping push the masses there.

But right now, the actual masses are still buying low res displays in droves. My dad had a dell laptop in the late 90s (PIII era) that had a higher pixel density than basically everything dell sells today. When people do get high res displays, they complain that all the text is too small, then they run it at non-native resolution so everything looks blurry.

Its not like the hardware can't drive it. Integrated video on an i3 can push 2560x1440 without hesitation. Put that on a typical 23" display, and you've got pretty nice pixel density (I mean, it looks great at 27" and would be as good as the eye can see at 23"). The OS and applications are the real problem. Both OSX and Win7 (probably 8 too) do very well natively with high res displays...but 80% of the applications suck. And honestly, I spend all day looking at applications not the base OS.

Also, websites get kind of messed up. You can blow up the text, but unless you enlarge the images as well, all of the fancy CSS alignment breaks. Blowing up the images works fine, but they can get blurry depending on how much you enlarge them.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Quote:
What glitch did you experience on your i5? I sent my S4 back after 5 weeks for Samsung to repair. I had a 16gb memory card and used up all space on taking photos...so warning message came up saying there no disk space and I needed to delete files. So photos & files deleted - but the phone gets hot and battery drains within 3/4 hours of non-active use. .... Anyone experience this issue? Getting the phone back this weekend and Samsung saying they couldn't find anything wrong. I am yet to repeat the same test...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads