• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Galaxy S4

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mrs. Piob just got one. I shall be trading in my iPhone 5 soon.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did she have before? I've got a galaxy nexus and the poor battery life is killing me so it's time to make a change. I loved the Nexus 4 I bought for Europe, but sadly it's a no go for Verizon. The S4 sounds like it can best the Nexus 4, but I'm anxious about a non-Nexus phone and it's ability to get updates and also about all the bloatware that could come installed with it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I had a nice reply all typed out and then this multi-post glitch thing kicked in.

I was saying she had a Galaxy S so this is a big move up. Battery life seems very good. Full work day, doing the playing around you do with a new phone, and battery still at 64% at the end of the day.

I also originally said the screen is large and beautiful and the homescreen splits so multiple widgets can be running and accessed at once. It's pretty slick.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
W

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am patiently waiting for the Galaxy S4 Mini to come into existence. I have been resisting the iphone 5 but as my current phone (Galaxy S) keeps getting worse, I need something soon.

An S4 bulge in your pants is not SF approved...but I don't need 100% of the power and screen of the S4. As long as its got modern android, works well, and has good battery, I am satisfied.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I am patiently waiting for the Galaxy S4 Mini to come into existence. I have been resisting the iphone 5 but as my current phone (Galaxy S) keeps getting worse, I need something soon.

An S4 bulge in your pants is not SF approved...but I don't need 100% of the power and screen of the S4. As long as its got modern android, works well, and has good battery, I am satisfied.

As an I-5 owner I can tell you the S4 is way more what I want. I would hold off it you can.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The OLED screen is a deal breaker for me, the color saturation is annoyingly unnatural. The lag is also an issue when compared to iOS, but if you can get over that, I guess you'll be happy. Although I've heard shutting off all the rendering crap does away with most of the hesitations.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

The OLED screen is a deal breaker for me, the color saturation is annoyingly unnatural. The lag is also an issue when compared to iOS, but if you can get over that, I guess you'll be happy. Although I've heard shutting off all the rendering crap does away with most of the hesitations.

I've not noticed any lag. In fact I feel the S4 offers a faster and smoother user experience.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely there, it was very apparent in the week I had the phone for, but if you don't notice it, it isn't an issue.

Here's one video putting it up against the HTC One starting around the 3:13 mark:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it easy to get rid of Sense on the HTC One?

One of the constant problems with Android are the little bits of input lag. Jobs was right to put a strong focus on the UI elements--does android still not run the UI at a high priority compared to other things? My S gets laggy as hell sometimes...not as bad with a cyanogen update to jellybean, but still not perfect.

Still prefer how android works to iOS, but I struggle with the huge screens and focus on stupid functions I don't use...Don't let me unlock the phone with facial expressions until you can give me a seamless interface and a battery I don't have to think about for 24 hours.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Sense is anywhere near as intrusive as TouchWhiz- aside from Blinkfeed, there's really no need to get rid of it. It changes the look of stock Android, but unlike the S4, there's nothing there that's bogging things down or changing the feel of the OS. With that said, you can't get rid of it unless the phone is rooted and loaded with stock Android or some custom ROM.

Also, it seems Google is starting to take a granular approach to reunify Android for those that want something closer to stock. They Just released the stock keyboard last week, and you can get a lot more stock bits and pieces in the from the Play store.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't think Sense is anywhere near as intrusive as TouchWhiz- aside from Blinkfeed, there's really no need to get rid of it. It changes the look of stock Android, but unlike the S4, there's nothing there that's bogging things down or changing the feel of the OS. With that said, you can't get rid of it unless the phone is rooted and loaded with stock Android or some custom ROM.

Also, it seems Google is starting to take a granular approach to reunify Android for those that want something closer to stock. They Just released the stock keyboard last week, and you can get a lot more stock bits and pieces in the from the Play store.

Swype FTW!

I like the metal case of the HTC better...but the rumors of the HTC One Mini have it coming out even later than the S4 mini and I don't think I can wait that long.

Hopefully I can get a pretty stock rom for either phone. Cyanogen has been good to me so far.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The HTC certainly opened that widget faster but my I-5 does not open widgets any faster than that S4. Oh. Wait. No widgets in iWorld.

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pio, have played around with Windows phone 7, excuse me, iOS 7 yet? Seems like way too incremental of an update for a 7.0 release. Siri still sucks compared to Google Now, but it is only beta 1, the new voice isn't even in it yet. I think Apple should have at least made dock icons accessible from the lock screen.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads