• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaining Weight and Muscle

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm just looking for opinions on how to gain weight and muscle. Here is a breakdown: I'm 26 years old, 5'10'' and range from 135-140lbs. I've always been a "small frame" kind of guy and I think that's due in large from my family. Both mom and dad are thin and I got some skinny genes. I'm not complaining, but I have the HARDEST time putting on weight/muscle. I eat like a horse, but have a very high metabolism. I've also never lifted weight seriously and I would even know where to begin as far as a routine. Here are my questions:

1) How can I get bigger, both through working out and eating (what exercises and foods/portions)

2) Are there any supplements (not steroids, etc.) that can help this?

Thanks everyone!

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eat a lot, lift a lot.

Seriously, nothing more needs to be said than that.

Eating: You might think you eat like a horse but count calories and you'll soon see... Up your intake of protein to help in muscle recovery- eat a few cans of tuna a week, drink a protein shake everyday.

Lifting: Google "Starting Strength"...... or basically common sense says, work out all muscle groups until your really ******* sore the next day, recover (few days) and do it again. Bench press (chest+tri's), squats (legs), curls (biceps), rows (back), flies (shoulder)... **** like that.

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
LOTS of protein (in your diet and supplement with powder) and hit the weights hard.

You'll gain with that. You'll probably never be as big as some of the guys in your gym since you have a small frame, but you'll make appreciable gains.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WRAdvisor
I eat like a horse, but have a very high metabolism
No. If you ate as much as an obese person does, you would be obese very quickly. If your energy intake is higher than energy output, you gain weight. Your metabolic efficiency is the efficiency with which energy is consumed by your body. Obese people actually have less efficient (read:faster) metabolism than healthy weight range.

Point:
Monitor how many calories you eat in a week or so. If you're not putting on or losing weight, that's your maintenence diet.

then add 500 calories of food a day to gain weight.
I've also never lifted weight seriously and I would even know where to begin as far as a routine.

Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. look them up.

squats, deadlifts and presses are what's gonna help.

closetmess

Reaction score
Lift. Eat. Repeat.

A good benchmark for protein intake is grams per pound of goal weight per day.

i.e. 180 lbs sound good? eat 180g of protein per day. thats a big chicken breast or a protein shake every 3 hours, 6 times a day. go get 'em tiger.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
I eat like a horse, but have a very high metabolism.!
I used to say this too. You don't eat nearly enough, trust me. If you go to www.70sbig.com and read up on how to eat, buy the Starting Strength book and DVD and drink a gallon of milk a day I promise you will gain weight and muscle. Keep it simple and you'll do fine.

LexSenthur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Superfluous Man
I used to say this too. You don't eat nearly enough, trust me. If you go to www.70sbig.com and read up on how to eat, buy the Starting Strength book and DVD and drink a gallon of milk a day I promise you will gain weight and muscle. Keep it simple and you'll do fine.

This. I used to believe that I was a hard gainer, then I started tracking my intake and realized I was barely netting 400 calories a day even after I started eating 3 square meals.

One of the biggest changes I made, probably something that'll help you since you're not used to eating enough, if having protein shakes with milk WITH meals. That'll keep you from getting full on a few hundred calories of just fat and protein and then not being hungry for hours.

jimbo123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by byesadness
Anybody who can give advice how to lose weight.. ? I want to lose at least 20 lbs in two months. is that safe? I used to weigh 120lbs but now I am at around 140. I want to lose that extra 20 lbs. I've tried almost everything and I am near to giving up
frown.gif

I know a guy who tried to lose weight and he started going to the gym. He became thinner but his weight was more or less the same. The point of that is he gained lean mass and cut out the fat. Muscle weighs more than fat. He weighed the same but you couldn't pinch as much fat of his body.

You should try circuit training. No need to even go to the gym, all you might need is a chinup bar and chairs to do dips. Practice squats, pushups, dips and chinups.

The idea with circuits is you work out the whole body going from one exercise to the next. When one circuit is complete take about 30-60 seconds rest and repeat. It gets the body into fat burning mode. The beauty is, the workout can last 10-15 minutes including warm-up and cool-down.

I like doing this and I also do long cardio sessions. I'm a bit of a fitness freak.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, muscle tissue weighs exactly the same as adipose tissue, you can try it, get a pound of both - they weigh the same amount.

Muscle tissue is denser than adipose (fat) tissue.

Runningman411

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TrH
Actually, muscle tissue weighs exactly the same as adipose tissue, you can try it, get a pound of both - they weigh the same amount.

Muscle tissue is denser than adipose (fat) tissue.

I'm pretty sure the poster meant muscle tissue is denser, thus an equal volume of muscle weighs more than fat. But, I'm sure he didn't think to provide a full, detailed explanation so as to conform to internet posting standards.

chermy23

Reaction score
Lift heavy, eat 1g of protien per lb of weight you want , take a multi, try creatine.

doctorbob

Reaction score
I trained for years with no gains, never really able to pack on the pounds I wanted -- just looked toned. It was hard to eat the 160 or so grams of protein a day. A few months ago I started having 6 small meals instead of 3 big ones, with 25-30 grams of protein per meal (sometimes including a whey protein shake). I then started getting the protein I needed. I lost 2 inches in my waist and gained 3 inches in my shoulders (muscle). My arms are too big now for some of my shirts. All I changed was my diet -- did the same work out. Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads