• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gag-inducing bland aftertastes

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Anyone experience this? I experience this often throughout my life since I was a kid.

I eat something bland or middling in taste (this is important) like a boiled hot dog wiener or a cold fried egg leftover, for instance, and usually happens when the only drink i have is just plain lukewarm water.

I eat it and then afterwards, i have this bland (but mentally nasty) tasting aftertaste in my mouth that i find myself almost gagging over and I quickly need something 'cutting' like a soda, or mint, or anything strong to blow that taste out of my mouth.
When this happens and i cannot find something to 'cut it' away, i cannot find myself able to work, concentrate on whatever i am doing, or even drive, and i need to pull over quickly to get rid of that taste.

It usually gets worse if let say i am indoors and walk outdoors, the aftertaste gets very overpowering due to the olfactory sense changes affecting the aftertaste. Do you get that? I eat a bologna and mayo sandwich (very bland and no texture) and walk outside in the fresh air and the taste of that in my mouth literally turns into what i would think earthworms taste like. Do you know what I mean??
I dont know if this experience has to do with how my mouth and tongue is built, or just more due to how i am conditioned to these perhaps common occurrences stemming from childhood.

Just a thought. Would be interesting if anyone else experienced it.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Similar feelings happened when I used to down cheap whey powder, thankfully I've found there's a nice balance between cost, quality and taste.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand bad aftertastes, but I haven't really experienced this. Does this happen to you with any terrible aftertaste, or just on bland things that become terrible aftertastes?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
I understand bad aftertastes, but I haven't really experienced this. Does this happen to you with any terrible aftertaste, or just on bland things that become terrible aftertastes?

It's kind of hard to explain.

If it is just a terrible aftertaste let say something was too sour or a drink (cough syrup etc) was too bitter, or a chinese food was too salty or greasy feeling in my mouth, these things I can handle. I just say that was too sour or salty and move on (of course I prefer something to wash it down).

But it is one of those aftertastes that are bland and middling in taste cannot explain it, for me the perfect examples are boiled hot dog wiener, bologna, certain deli turkey meat that is of low quality (something like buddig brand).
These leave no distinct flavor in my mouth and I guess for most people that is ok, but for me that taste of middling and bland swarming in my saliva makes me (I guess psychologically) detest it learnt from past childhood I guess and I rather drink a shot of hard liquor to eradicate it although I don't drink alcohol. That's how vehemently I am against that aftertaste.

It is sort of like you feel when you see a used private clothing item (although perhaps clean) that does not belong to you (some stranger's let say a guy's if you are hetero) and it is violating your space as it sits in your chair or on your furniture or something.
Psychologically you feel you want to eradicate it and every remembrance of it, by picking it up with a stick and burning it with fire if you can and then scrub your furniture or whatever it touched with sulfur and bleach.

You know what I mean? Not that I would do that but strong urges to do so conjur up in mind for that action.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I understand what you mean. Aspartame does it for me. Or coffee with cream/sugar. Tastes like a sickly-sweet bland layer of flavour left on my tongue.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'm with you as well.

Also for about a month a while back I occasionally would taste a swampy, earthy rotten taste, which was very distressing, to the point that I asked two friends who I see a lot to alert me immediately if my breath was noticeable, but they assured me there was no issue. I haven't noticed it for a while now though.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
due to how i am conditioned to these perhaps common occurrences stemming from childhood.

My younger brother refuses to eat spaghetti with any red sauce. I recall he threw up after eating a plate of it, around the age of 7-8, and hasn't eaten it since. He's repressed the memory of the event, but I remembered.

Perhaps you were molested as a child, possibly by a bologna and mayo sandwich?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I gag from the feel of food, not usually the taste. A big chunk of pork fat or beef gristle will make me immediately feel like I'm going to vomit. I can pretty much always control it, but that is why I am kinda OCD about trimming my food.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is interesting. I wonder if it is a specific compound that does that - like some nitrogen-containing product from the breakdown of proteins. I'm just musing, because I have no idea.

I wonder if some people can not tolerate the sense of umami that may be present in these products? That, however contradicts what I've read in the past about the overly pleasant nature of this taste.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bbaquiran
My younger brother refuses to eat spaghetti with any red sauce. I recall he threw up after eating a plate of it, around the age of 7-8, and hasn't eaten it since. He's repressed the memory of the event, but I remembered.

Perhaps you were molested as a child, possibly by a bologna and mayo sandwich?

I don't see how that could of happened but I don't discount the possibility.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
This is interesting. I wonder if it is a specific compound that does that - like some nitrogen-containing product from the breakdown of proteins. I'm just musing, because I have no idea.

I wonder if some people can not tolerate the sense of umami that may be present in these products? That, however contradicts what I've read in the past about the overly pleasant nature of this taste.

Never thought about that, the nitrate compound protein foods.
I really detest raw or boiled hot dog wieners.

Let me just say this:
If I ever was captured by the enemy and was forced to pick a torture of a brutal beating to the pulp with bare fists
Or
Being force fed boiled hot dogs and plain water to drink,

I think I will choose the beating.

Seriously.

I don't think I will even handle 5 minutes of the hot dogs.

If I was a contestant on Fear Factor and I was challenged to eat 5 boiled hot dogs for a thousand bonus dollars, I wouldn't do it.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it has something to do with the preservatives in these lower quality processed meats. I imagine that they all have an assortment of chemicals to keep them fresh and to give them that hot dog/bologne flavor. Maybe you have a reaction to that?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
I wonder if it has something to do with the preservatives in these lower quality processed meats. I imagine that they all have an assortment of chemicals to keep them fresh and to give them that hot dog/bologne flavor. Maybe you have a reaction to that?

Have you guys ever watch "Dirty Jobs"? The grossest one I ever saw was a bologna manufacturer in Pennsylvania.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the underwear analogy, but I just can't relate to the aftertaste thing. Oh well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads