• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G / Wide Fitting Leather Shoes

kmhender

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a professional working in London in a more conservative sector, so almost exclusively black leather lace ups. My usual size is typically a UK 11 G fit, although I have tried on a Crockett & Jones 341 last G fit oxford in 10.5 and it was the best fitting shoe I have ever had on. I have wide flat feet so it's G fit or bust.

I have a strong dislike for leather soles. I think they're beautiful, but I hate wearing them. Especially in carpeted offices (I am going to slip and fall) and cobblestone streets in a country that rains a lot (I am going to slip and fall again). I therefore buy rubber sole shoes. I know there's a fair bit of distaste for them, but so be it. The issue I am finding is that most of the rubber sole shoes use those clunky Dainite soles that feel like golf cleats on pavement for the first 6 months of regular wear. My first "proper" shoes I purchased nearly 3-4 years ago are Loakes (the "made in England" line that is no longer made in England). A plain oxford toe cap and a wingtip, both with the original Dainite soles. These are on their way out finally and need replacing. I have a Cheaney oxford toe cap with a Dainite, and to try something new I bought a leather sole Cheaney semi brogue and had the half rubber sole added post-purchase. That was a mistake and I am not happy with the result.

QUERY: I am looking for a black, g fitting shoe I can wear for work with those diamond cut, thin rubber soles. Crockett & Jones has the "city sole" and it would be perfect except the only way I can get the 341 last shoes that I want in a G fit with the city sole is with a MTO purchase which is WAY out of my price range. It was closer to £700 last time I asked. So far, in my size, I have only found 4 options from Church's: a plain cap toe oxford, a wingtip, a loafer, and monk strap. I may be able to get away with the monk strap at work but likely not the loafer. They are all priced around £410-450 which is probably the upper limit of my price range for the foreseeable future. I was considering checking to see if I could find them cheaper at their factory store. Cheaney has another 3 options for me but again, all Dainite. I like the quality of the Cheaney uppers that I have so hoping for something comparable.

What other options do I have within a budget of up to approximately £450?? I would even consider a more formal derby (split toe, plain cap toe, semi-brogue even). Hoping style forum can recommend a few brands to check out.

kmhender

Reaction score
https://www.loake.co.uk/product/woodstock-black/

No idea whether this is a faux dainite.
Thanks! When the stores open back up I'll have to hit up a Barker shop and check it out. Although I know Barker is pretty big dip in quality. Their Handcrafted collection seems decent and has some G fit but again, no rubber sole in the G so I would have to send them out.

Chowkin

Reaction score
Have you tried Carmina? You can customise your shoes - the Rain last comes in EEE width so should accommodate your wide feet. They also offer a part rubber sole:

Attachments

• 60294F0A-3195-4DD6-A265-57C9DD48203F.jpeg
    60294F0A-3195-4DD6-A265-57C9DD48203F.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 194

kmhender

Reaction score
Have you tried Carmina? You can customise your shoes - the Rain last comes in EEE width so should accommodate your wide feet. They also offer a part rubber sole:
I've heard of Carmina a few times. I know they don't have a stand alone shop in the UK, but just wondering if there's anywhere in London I could try on some of their lasts?

altavista

Reaction score
Have you tried Tricker's? I find their lasts to be rather forgiving.

Salanizi

Reaction score
I've heard of Carmina a few times. I know they don't have a stand alone shop in the UK, but just wondering if there's anywhere in London I could try on some of their lasts?

Richard Gelding of Mayfair London carries multiple Carmina models.

NYP

Reaction score
I also have problem with my wide feet and recently tried on a pair of Mephisto Melchiors. Goodyear welt, rubber soles, great quality and by far the most comfortable shoes that have ever been on my feet. Bought 1/2 size down from my usual size. I really liked the style and I felt I could use them on most formal and informal occasions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads