• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-star and j lindeberg

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your opinion of the brand G-Star? A store in my city carries many things from the line, and while some items are nice, some are very bizarre. Some look like clothing you'd wear parachuting out of a plane, or breaking into a secret lab on a spy mission. Not too wearable.

However, the jeans seem nice, as well as some of the toned-down outerwear pieces. Anyone have first-hand experience?

They also carry J. Lindeberg, which I've admired for some time. The clothing looks nicely designed, but somewhat drab. I like their denim, their slacks, and some of their shirts. Seemed overpriced, at $180 for a shirt that was made in Portugal.

For you guys interested in unique t-shirts, check out a company called "Matter". They have some very cool designs.

Also got to see Yanuk, Blue Cult, and Chip and Pepper jeans for the first time in person at this store. Not bad, but I still prefer PDC.

rsp1

Reaction score
Personally, I've mentally put Gstar in the bucket of companies that try too hard. With so many different clothing options for casualwear, I'm not sure they stand out. I agree with your assessment of Lindeberg, but they have many pieces that I think are very aggressive (for lack of a better word).

Regarding jeans, PDCs have recently been downgraded to being my second favorite jeans company, after Rogan. My rogans are exceptionally comfortable, soft and I love the look. If they're available where you are, they're definitely worth checking out.

On a side note, as a relatively new user (longer-time lurker), I love the fact that the discussions on this board range from the very trendy to extremely sartorial -- from Lindeberg to Lobb...

Edit: childish grammar errors

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your opinion of the brand G-Star?  A store in my city carries many things from the line, and while some items are nice, some are very bizarre.  Some look like clothing you'd wear parachuting out of a plane, or breaking into a secret lab on a spy mission.  Not too wearable.

sounds like the old parachute pants from the '80's.

even if they're not, please indulge me:

nylon windbreaker material, lots of zippers and pockets all over them...those were the shiznite back in the day.

those pants, member's only jackets, breakdancing, commodore 64's...

/andrew - can't forget the classics.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(VersaceMan @ 27 Aug. 2004, 2:40) What is your opinion of the brand G-Star? Â A store in my city carries many things from the line, and while some items are nice, some are very bizarre. Â Some look like clothing you'd wear parachuting out of a plane, or breaking into a secret lab on a spy mission. Â Not too wearable. ....
sounds like the old parachute pants from the '80's. even if they're not, please indulge me: nylon windbreaker material, lots of zippers and pockets all over them...those were the shiznite back in the day. those pants, member's only jackets, breakdancing, commodore 64's... /andrew - can't forget the classics.
Well, most of their stuff has a very military/worker/urban look to it. Visit their site at www.g-star.com . I picked up their catalog from the store I was at, and I havent been able to find many of the pieces on ebay. Their clothing makes liberal use of straps, zippers, d-rings, patches, seatbelts, etc. I like their jeans: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....44&rd=1 This jacket is pretty cool, makes me think of LA Guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....02&rd=1

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's all fine, but here's the original PARACHUTE PANTS.. reminiscent of the zip-zip sound you get walking with corduroys, these make a nice swish-swish with some tinkling zipper pull accents, echoing off the painted cinder block walls as you take the long way through the halls to the boys' room. just don't forget your hall pass. /andrew

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not bad, but I still prefer PDC.

So do I. I know that Rogan is really popular right now, and I love the cuts, but I don't need jeans that are designed to age so quickly. Mine age pretty quickly all by their lonesome. Of the newer jeans companies that have come out, I like True Religion the most, though I suspect that Bones and Rags (or the other way around, I think I'm dyslexic) will be the next big thing, along with J.P. Da'mage (sp?) which are pretty cool and distinctive.

This jacket is pretty cool, makes me think of LA Guy:

Thanks. I have a grey Emporio Armani jacket in the same length and with the front pockets, and a just under the waist very cool, very casual Varvatos twill military/biker jacket in the same color in a very cool olive/brown color. So put the two together, and I *do* have that jacket. G-star is in general not a bad company, but I object to their blatant logoing.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not bad, but I still prefer PDC.
So do I. Â I know that Rogan is really popular right now, and I love the cuts, but I don't need jeans that are designed to age so quickly. Â Mine age pretty quickly all by their lonesome. Â Of the newer jeans companies that have come out, I like True Religion the most, though I suspect that Bones and Rags (or the other way around, I think I'm dyslexic) will be the next big thing, along with J.P. Da'mage (sp?) which are pretty cool and distinctive.
This jacket is pretty cool, makes me think of LA Guy:
Thanks. Â I have a grey Emporio Armani jacket in the same length and with the front pockets, and a just under the waist very cool, very casual Varvatos twill military/biker jacket in the same color in a very cool olive/brown color. Â So put the two together, and I *do* have that jacket. Â G-star is in general not a bad company, but I object to their blatant logoing.
I've seen some Da'mage jeans featured in GQ before, but never in person. Do you know of any major retailers that carry them yet? Also, the store I was at, along with another one right next door on the same street, carries Jake Agave denim. I like the look of it, but it seems pretty conservative as far as 'premium denim' goes. I haven't tried the cut/fit, but the washes were okay. As far as the logo-ing, I agree - most jackets have 'G-Star Raw' stencilled some place on the outside, as well as that little white tag. Good side to this: I don't think many people know what the heck G-Star is.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen some Da'mage jeans featured in GQ before, but never in person. Do you know of any major retailers that carry them yet?

I've seen some Da'mage jeans featured in GQ before, but never in person. Do you know of any major retailers that carry them yet?

I think you can get them at Barneys, and also at Urban Outfitters online presence (lots of high end denim there, wierdly enough). I've seen them at some streetwear places too, so you should seen them soon enough no matter where you are.

ineffable

Reaction score
I don't like Gstar too much, although some of their jeans are alright. Most of their pieces are just too much for casual wear imo. I don't need 10 zippers/pockets on a jacket. Just not my style, but i've seen other people pull it off well.

Lindeberg i like. The jeans/belts are nice imo, and some of the track jackets aren't bad either, but if money was a concern i don't think i'd be looking at lindeberg. It's not really the best you can get at that price range, but it's not bad either.

I have one pair of Da'mage jeans, and they're my favourite pair. Not as comfortable as some of my pdc's, but they are comfortable, and they look very good. Nice fit(not tight, but not baggy either), and very nice wash. I'm probably going to pick up another pair soon. I'm also thinking about getting some rogans, but i haven't been able to find any.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe G-Star is a Dutch company
biggrin.gif
. I've seen lots of their jeans, but to me they're nothing special. I usually pick Diesel over them. I've also seen j.lindberg's stuff, not too bad, a bit modern/fashion forward. They make some pretty funky dress shirts (I've got a funky copper and blue striped one: in one direction the copper is pretty prominent, whilst in anther direction the blue is dominant), useful for clubbing. For jeans, I much prefer : Denime (a Japanese company), Levis 501's, Evisu (slim fit), PDC (slim fit), Diesel, Nudie Jeans (selvege denim), and Atelier La Durance (a French company using Japanese denim)

Brian SD

Reaction score
For J. Lindeberg, I have nothing of use to say.

However, for G-Star, I can say that you are effectively over-paying if you buy anything at more than at 10% of its retail price. So much better streetwear is to be had for a much lower price than the stuff by G-Star, Energie and Diesel, (add Dsquared2 for that matter) which to me look like Abercrombie & Fitch clothing with a few added flairs (zippers in one area, spray graphics in another, etc.). This of course excludes the jeans, as all of which of said companies make good ones (not that I needed to say that, though).

I saw a denim jacket that I thought was nice by G-Star, and I think it ran me under $20 at a Nordstrom rack, or something of similar breed perhaps spawned by a different department store parent.

I would check out your local designers... pick up a Chicago local independent reader and look around for some independent boutiques. I am so amazed by the kind of stuff that you can buy at local boutiques for such decent prices.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For jeans, I much prefer : Denime (a Japanese company), Levis 501's, Evisu (slim fit), PDC (slim fit), Diesel, Nudie Jeans (selvege denim), and Atelier La Durance (a French company using Japanese denim)

I see the quality in Denime, but am not knocked out by the styling. Levi's 501's are a gimme. Evisu - some of their stuff is alright, and the quality is indisputable, but I'm never gotten into that. Diesel - wierd styles recently, but still good quality. Nudie is a good company - very good cuts and finishes. And Paper Denim is of course my favorite. I've never heard of or tried Atelier La Durance, and am a little intrigued.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For jeans, I much prefer : Denime (a Japanese company), Levis 501's, Evisu (slim fit), PDC (slim fit), Diesel, Nudie Jeans (selvege denim), and Atelier La Durance (a French company using Japanese denim)
I see the quality in Denime, but am not knocked out by the styling. Â Levi's 501's are a gimme. Â Evisu - some of their stuff is alright, and the quality is indisputable, but I'm never gotten into that. Â Diesel - wierd styles recently, but still good quality. Â Nudie is a good company - very good cuts and finishes. Â And Paper Denim is of course my favorite. Â I've never heard of or tried Atelier La Durance, and am a little intrigued.
In Denime, I love their version of the 501's, better materials, better workmanship and better fit in the butt/crotch area (for me). Evisu, I only have thier slim fits, the other styles I'm not too impressed with. I agree that some of Diesel's new styles are a bit much, most of mine date from 2 years ago, except for thier new cotton/lycra slim fit/regular wash. With Nudies, I only like the "Regular Ralph" fit in the selvege denim. I like the softness of PDC, but am always worried that it won't last. Atelier La Durance has only two models out right now, a 12oz and 14oz denim, modelled after the original Levis railroad worker jeans, i.e loose legged.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics