• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G&M - "My recession suit" article (stats inside)

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
http://business.theglobeandmail.com/.../Business/home

From Toronto's Globe & Mail.

"There is a desire to look professional and to feel like you've got your act together, especially in a recession," said Kaileen Millard-Ruff, director of fashion at market researcher NPD Group.

Last year, as the economy began to dive, sales of men's apparel over all dropped 2 per cent while sales of men's career wear rose 2 per cent, according to NPD. What's more, sales of suits rose 10 per cent, while dress pants were up 8 per cent.

The growth was driven by younger men, such as Mr. Conn. Among men 35 and under, career wear sales rose 12 per cent to $361-million in 2008; those sales slipped 3 per cent to $526-million among men 35 to 54.
As with all G&M articles, please do yourself a favor and don't read the "comments" section.

axe

Reaction score
The comments make my head hurt.

UserNameToronto

Reaction score
Originally Posted by axe
The comments make my head hurt.

I warned ya!

The weird part is that the G&M is actually a great paper. It's like the mouthbreather commenters wandered over from some lesser rag like the Toronto Sun or Star.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to get me some of 'dem Walmart dress shirts!!!

MLIW

Reaction score
Quality Job, Quality clothing I can see any positives to wearing cheap clothing...?
Your not going to have an executive turn up to a board meeting wearing a dodgy shirt!

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
I really want to get me some of 'dem Walmart dress shirts!!!

That thick polyester blend sounds absolutely sinful...but at $10 a shirt, only an astronaut could afford them!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads