• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G.J.Cleverley Spring 2009 U.S.A. trip

Trojanman74

Reaction score
does the RTW come in a F width?, and can you link me to where they have prices on their website. there isnt a prices option in the left hand corner

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, each of those price categories is tempting. I will be at the SanFran date to take a look.

jon5986

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Around the price of 4 Aldens.
tounge.gif
Didn't know about the semi-bespoke. If I am reading the website correctly it is a machine welted shoe, but with your own last??

I don't think so. All of their shoes are hand lasted and hand welted....... I am sure if you email them they can answer this question.......

kcc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
~$2,000 for bespoke? Wow. That's tempting.

I am not. I'm convinced G&G are categorically and stylistically a better made bespoke shoe.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcc
I am not. I'm convinced G&G are categorically and stylistically a better made bespoke shoe.

Why do you say that?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
Why do you say that?

I'd like to know too. G&G's super-antiqued finishing is not my cup of tea, nor the long toes. I know they don't have to do either of those things, but I much prefer the understated and conservative style typical of Cleverly.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know too. G&G's super-antiqued finishing is not my cup of tea, nor the long toes. I know they don't have to do either of those things, but I much prefer the understated and conservative style typical of Cleverly.

For bespoke you can pick any kind of leather or toe shape you want. Why would this possibly be an issue for you?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, Cleverley invented the English chisel "long toe". So your "conservative style typical of Cleverly" comment is particularly odd.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'm not sure that I would associate "super-antiquing" with G&G. Here are a dark brown RTW pair that I have:

421008297_WCguu-L.jpg

But as noted by others, a top bespoke shoemaker can do pretty much anything that you like.

- B

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've always found it puzzling that Cleverley appeals to the igent taste. The shoes look machine-made (not a ding IMO, I wore a pair of Cleverley bespoke yesterday and another the day before) instead of the obvious hand stitchery of Vass and its relations.

But nice as they are, the best Cleverleys do not have the shape of the best G&G bespoke.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
I've always found it puzzling that Cleverley appeals to the igent taste. The shoes look machine-made (not a ding IMO, I wore a pair of Cleverley bespoke yesterday and another the day before) instead of the obvious hand stitchery of Vass and its relations.

But nice as they are, the best Cleverleys do not have the shape of the best G&G bespoke.

I don't know...medwards's Cleverleys tend to be kickass.

- B

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will

Some of us consider that to be a good thing
smile.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's so damn subjective. The majority of G&Gs leave me cold, yet when I last saw Will he was wearing a pair of G&G bespoke in a round toe last that were stunning.

I don't have a basis of comparison as I've not commissioned bespoke from G&G but I find it hard to believe I could be happier with what I've gotten from Cleverley.

jon5986

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Some of us consider that to be a good thing
smile.gif

I agree with you. I think Cleverley makes the most amazing shoes. I have tried G&G and don't think that they fit as good as my Cleverley's. As for shape, Cleverley can make any style you want. For example, their "New Styles" section is something very different than what I have, with a narrower toe.

I guess it's each to their own......

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
~$2,000 for bespoke? Wow. That's tempting.

Is this the one shoe to rule them all?
boxing[1].gif

G&G and Cleverley are apparently quite similar in shape. The JL NYC maker, who trained at Cleverley, thought my G&G's were by Cleverley. BTW, what antique finishing? I asked for it but they don't really do that like the Italians, e.g. Scafora, Lattanzi et al.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads