• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G.H. Bass

Krp480

Reaction score
So, I was just wondering, I got 3 pairs of Bass shoes for $129 since they are having I guess a summer clearance? Anyways I know that they were a big hit a long time ago, and I am wondering if it is worth since I got 3 pairs. They seem pretty nice, but I am not interested in any AE, or church's, or some fancy shmancy high end shoe at the moment since I just want to try out these and if I like the way it looks with me, then later on I may get some higher end shoes.

But what I want to know is if they will hold up for a while, are well made, and are worth the 3/$129. Personally I like them, I will most likely keep them regardless of opinions if people on here don't like them, I just want to know if they will last.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got a pair of Weejuns and a pair of white bucks, both seem to be holding up fine. Though I should warn you that the bucks are, surprisingly, not very comfortable.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear them a lot I think they are unlikely to last. If you like the styles that you got, and you rotate them, then you are fine. What did you get, by the way?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
If you wear them a lot I think they are unlikely to last. If you like the styles that you got, and you rotate them, then you are fine. What did you get, by the way?

Weejuns are blake/rapid welted with a full midsole- they'll last. The leather is a good bit cheaper then on high end shoes, but they're not going to just disintegrate.

And Ataturk, that's odd. I think of my dirty bucks as one of the more comfortable pairs of shoes that I own.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe it's just the way it fits my feet. The size is right, but everything about the shoe is wrong--it's blob shaped, but not wide enough or high enough in the instep, and the heel is hard as a rock and not shaped like my heel. I've been hoping they'll break in, but they really haven't.

mic

Reaction score
I had a pair of Bass "civic" cap toes that were my first real adult shoes years ago. They sucked. Could never get them to break in, and finally gave them away this summer.

However, recently I bought a pair of the "dirty bucs" for $40 and pretty much wore them out in three months of constant wear. They were very comfortable. I agree that they have a "bloblike" shape, but they drew an enormous amount of positive attention.

Finally attended an autopsy in them last week (don't ask), and they are currently outside my door awaiting the dustbin.

If you like them, wear them out.

Krp480

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I'm not home at the moment, I got a pair of boots, boat shoes, and weejuns. I can't pull the weejuns so hopefully today I will go back and exchange them, but all except the weejuns are comfortable. I mean they seem like they will last so I am going to keep the 2 pairs except the weejuns. Just wanted to feel reassured that I didn't waste my money. Also I don't think any shoe will last xD. My longest lasting pair of shoes didn't last a year since i wore it everyday, and as much as it was really comfortable it was a skate shoe and I beat them. The fabric was coming undone.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krp480
I'm not home at the moment, I got a pair of boots, boat shoes, and weejuns. I can't pull the weejuns so hopefully today I will go back and exchange them, but all except the weejuns are comfortable. I mean they seem like they will last so I am going to keep the 2 pairs except the weejuns. Just wanted to feel reassured that I didn't waste my money.

Also I don't think any shoe will last xD. My longest lasting pair of shoes didn't last a year since i wore it everyday, and as much as it was really comfortable it was a skate shoe and I beat them. The fabric was coming undone.

Are the weejuns crushing your toes? If so, don't worry, they'll break in. Wet the inside of the shoe a fair bit before the next time you wear them, the leather will stretch right out to form to your foot.

Also, in terms of durability, sneakers are a different beast entirely from nice leather shoes. I'm still wearing the first dress shoes I got in my grown up size, incidentally a pair of weejuns. Just got them resoled last year, so they should be good for another couple of years, and after that they're probably getting downgraded to slipper status.

Krp480

Reaction score
Well they aren't crushing my toes, just that it isn't my style at the moment. Especially the color, it is a dark dark burgandy and in the light at the Bass store it almost looked brown. The boat shoes however that I got are extremely comfy only after about 2-3 wears, I got them and at first I wore them without socks... Mistake. So until they fully break in and the leather becomes soft then I will be wearing socks until then. But with socks on, they are really comfy.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at the bucks/longwings. What's your sentiment on quality? Will it end up being a waste of money?

Krp480

Reaction score
Since the thread started I have been wearing my bass shoes sparingly, and to be honest quality is great. No rips, etc... I say go for it, they are definitely worth the money.

William Ploog

Reaction score
You may never see this since I am writing may years later a response to you question.

I bought two pairs of shoes for the price of one good pair of shoes. Both were dress shoes and one pair lasted less than one year. Stitching gave out and the heal fell apart. Truly junk. I also paid to have stitching re-sown. Bad idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads