• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G & G vs. Corthay

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
Yeah. Arcas and all other rtw corthays were $685 when I was there on sale, hardly a sf "bargain" - monte said they were 599 - somehow he got a better price?

The bespoke shoes all looked much better made than the rtw, as it should be, but I was not particularly impressed with the rtw myself - they felt like they'd rip if put into motion, but ghost face mastah killa obviously has put these in play. Btw - what were you doing jumping gates in your corthays? That is reserved for my nikes only.

And tony has moved into his own shop now, so I am not sure why the delays are as they are.

My understanding is, as of a few weeks ago, they had the space in the basement they share with a tailor on the row... and they have the manufacturing space... but they are still tooling up to be ready to create shoes faster... this was coming from the guy they share with, not from Tony himself, FWIW.

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Yes, the sale price for Corthay monks on the Arca last was €600 when I purchased a month ago from the Paris store. This price included trees and my choice of patina. Having visited the store several times but purchased just once before, I doubt that the price he quoted me was lower than that generally available.

With respect to G&G, I probably should have been even more generous in my praise. When worn, they fit better, and feel better made, than any other shoe I own. And that is despite being RTW in a width one greater than perfect. On my feet, they easily beat RTW/MTO contenders from many of the other brands loved on SF. Vass u-last wholecuts would be their closest contender. G&G make a terrific shoe. Alas I only have from them their standard black calf Oxford model - a style every man must own, but not one that gives me great pleasure. Someday I'd like to get something with more personality, like their Grant, Connaught, or Mitchell.

By the way, the G&G retail space on Savile Row is shared with none other than Vox's friend Edwin DeBoise.

jon5986

Reaction score
I really like some of the colors that Corthay use. It is a nice looking shoe.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
Yeah. Arcas and all other rtw corthays were $685 when I was there on sale, hardly a sf "bargain" - monte said they were 599 - somehow he got a better price?

The bespoke shoes all looked much better made than the rtw, as it should be, but I was not particularly impressed with the rtw myself - they felt like they'd rip if put into motion, but ghost face mastah killa obviously has put these in play. Btw - what were you doing jumping gates in your corthays? That is reserved for my nikes only.

And tony has moved into his own shop now, so I am not sure why the delays are as they are.

Wild night, back in the morning, no key on me, getting back to the gated urban villa I was staying at. That's how us big timers roll.
laugh.gif

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
Frankly, Fuuma, I'm comfortable in dealing with G&G considering I own 6 of their MTO shoes and have 2 more on order

I had dabbled in ordering some Corthay's but ultimately opted against them since I found their lasts...both the 001 and 002 to be narrower and less comfortable than the G&G TG73 and MH71

In mid-2008 I had priced the Corthay MTO to be in the $1500-1700 range...the G&G designs were around $1000....so there, I bring little this discussion
fight[1].gif
boxing[1].gif

Sorry, I can't compare my G&G's with any Corthay.

I had considered ordering direct from their Paris shop, but they refused to work with me via Internet and instead referred me to Leffot
frown.gif

As a side note: Fuuma did you try out any RiderBoot product?

Ok, makes sense, your quip on 4-6 weeks vs months was so strange coming from someone familiar with shoes I jumped the gun and am sorry about it.

BTW Leffot prices aren't that much higher than Parisian prices (around $1200 for a pair of Arcas) if I remember correctly, at least for RTW. Anyone can provide the Leffot price?

I have no experience with Rider boots but did receive some positive feedback from many of our members, I'm sure someone who owns a few pairs and has seen them age can come forward and spill the beans on those.

I must confess I don't do much value comparison between brands as when I want something I'm not looking for a facsimile but the exact product. It doesn't bother me that G&G might be "better value" as to me they're not equivalent goods. If it's the case for others I could understand the forum distaste for Berluti and other french makers and, say, the complaint on bespoke Lobb pricing.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you read the comments on the Leffot blog you will see some of his Corthay prices. Most of them are $1150 plus an additional $140 for shoe trees. One of the comments had the markup for MTO from Corthay but I can't remember what the markup was.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
If you read the comments on the Leffot blog you will see some of his Corthay prices. Most of them are $1150 plus an additional $140 for shoe trees. One of the comments had the markup for MTO from Corthay but I can't remember what the markup was.

So $1290? That's like $100 more than the French price, not bad for an exported product, I don't see what the problem is.

Bellison

Reaction score
Plus tax which will come out to be over $1400.

My friend in France told me they're regularly available there for 600 euros. If you take the VAT off, that's only 486 Euros which works out to be around $650.

$650 for the shoes and shoe trees is more than 50% off of Leffot's price.

Originally Posted by Fuuma
So $1290? That's like $100 more than the French price, not bad for an exported product, I don't see what the problem is.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellison
Plus tax which will come out to be over $1400.

My friend in France told me they're regularly available there for 600 euros. If you take the VAT off, that's only 486 Euros which works out to be around $650.

$650 for the shoes and shoe trees is more than 50% off of Leffot's price.

Bellison...the price I was quoted over a year ago by Leffot was for an MTO shoe with some changes to the design of the Montaigne. As I wanted a lined semi-brogued apron and a medallion added. The upcharge was about $3-400...I found this a bit high and opted against it. Steve at Leffot was very effective in communicating quickly via e-mail. But the high price squashed the deal for me since the shoe I wanted was quoted at around $1700 for a Corthay MTO special order. Just adding a medallion to the design added a bit under $200.

Back to wait times...G&G doesn't put 4-6 months worth of work onto their MTO shoes...instead, there was a waiting time of a quite a few months in order for them to begin the order. In May I'll ask Dean how much time on average does it take to make an MTO shoe.

I've read posts by others which noted G&G makes a point of keeping the leather onto their lasts longer than competitors...and this helps in keeping an excellent shape of the shoe.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me.
haha JUST BROWSING!
I need some kids to sell...or to put into forced child labor.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, pa.

Ive seen plenty of your "just browsing" threads turn into "look at my new shoe pr0n!!11!!" threads...
patch[1].gif

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I have no experience with Rider boots but did receive some positive feedback from many of our members, I'm sure someone who owns a few pairs and has seen them age can come forward and spill the beans on those...

I have one of the first pairs of Rider boots, a shell chukka. But it's not that old, from the summer of '08. I wear it a lot, and it's in great shape. I've posted a few pics that a quick search should reveal to anyone interested.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
I have one of the first pairs of Rider boots, a shell chukka. But it's not that old, from the summer of '08. I wear it a lot, and it's in great shape. I've posted a few pics that a quick search should reveal to anyone interested.

Is that the same one that Ed is selling in his FS thread?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads