• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G&G Thorpe vs EG Nevis

gusvs

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a country boot for weekend walks - colour Almond Country Calf and with a Dainite sole. However, I am torn between the G&G Thorpe and the EG Nevis. I have a few EG's already and I am very happy with the quality and fit. I have no experience with G&G shoes other than trying them on in stores (they seem to fit me just as well as EG), and have never seen the Thorpe IRL, but from pictures the Thorpe looks very sleek and I basically prefer the look and balance of it compared to the Nevis. What concerns me though is the hand-stitching on the apron, more specifically if it is up to EG standards? Has anyone seen it and can comment on it - is it as good as on the EG's (Dover, Nevis, Halifax)?

Pictures of both (could not find either in Almond):

Thorpe:
gazianogirlingthorpeb.jpg

Nevis:
eg_nevis_606_olive_leathersoul_2.jpg

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I prefer the styling of the Nevis to that of the Thorpe. Then again, I prefer EG to G&G for almost every shoe style I've seen.

iyorito

Reaction score
Come to the trunk show this weekend at the Pen! We could tell you
A LOT about the skin stitching! Tony Gaziano and Dean Girling will be
present to care for your requirements.

Sunday, 8 February 1000h-1900h
Monday, 9 February 1000h-1200N

The Peninsula Tokyo
1-8-1 Yurakucho, Chiyoda-ku
Tokyo, Japan

For an appointment, please contact me at [email protected]

Leather man

Reaction score
Both are out of this world! I have Edward Green Nevis but would be just as happy with G&G Thorpe.

The apron stiching is, I believe, done by one of the same people Edward Green uses - I was told there are only two men who can do this and they work with Lobb, Green and G&G - does anyone know if this is wrong?

Pengranger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leather man
Both are out of this world! I have Edward Green Nevis but would be just as happy with G&G Thorpe.

The apron stiching is, I believe, done by one of the same people Edward Green uses - I was told there are only two men who can do this and they work with Lobb, Green and G&G - does anyone know if this is wrong?

I've also heard that the skills required for this type of work are very limited. I can't believe G&G would have lower quality stiching than EG. I'm so impressed with my Wigmore's.

If I were you I'd jump at the chance of meeting both TG and DG at the weekend. What better way to judge for yourself!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't iGent doctrine tell us that G&G always beats EG?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Apparently...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Apparently...

Confer the council. I'm not sure if we can get Will and Iammatt to fly over from the west coast--but if you, Manton, Vox, and Dopey all agree, you can decide by majority vote without them.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like EG shoes just as much as G&G...but Will noted it nicely, G&G's last shapes just look better to my eyes

I own the G&G Thorpe in Vintage Oak with heavy anitqueing/burnishing and a Dainite Sole

The first 5 wearings took some breaking in but now every time I wear it...I LOVE IT and it fits better and better to my foot with each wearing

I just liked the look of the shoe better than the Neville.

Ask them to make some holes in the middle of the tongue to run the laces through so that the tongue doesn't fall to one side of your shoe.

And I got steel eyelets to complete the look

I had considered the Halifax but wanted a high boot instead of an ankle boot...I'm glad I opted for the Thorpe and have no reservations about it

As an alternative, you might want to try an Alden Norwegian Split Toe ankle boot on the Plaza last from Alden of Carmel, or you might wish to contact Tom at LeatherSoul for the same NST boot but on a different last and in Black or Burgundy Cordovan

With the fall of the British pound, the Thorpe boots price is quite attractive

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are both made superbly but I have to give the edge to Edward Green aesthetically. It's a combination of where the seam is placed on the shoe and how well it is finished. "The Dover Man" is THE man.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
They are both made superbly but I have to give the edge to Edward Green aesthetically. It's a combination of where the seam is placed on the shoe and how well it is finished. "The Dover Man" is THE man.
+1

Based strictly on the pictures posted, I prefer the EG. As Tarmac said, for me, it's the seam placement.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apparently...

Not.

I have Nevis in burgundy, dark oak and on order in mink suede.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Confer the council. I'm not sure if we can get Will and Iammatt to fly over from the west coast--but if you, Manton, Vox, and Dopey all agree, you can decide by majority vote without them.

When the revolution comes, the Council will be the first to die.
teacha.gif

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Apparently...

Originally Posted by aportnoy
Not.

When the revolution comes, the Council will be the first to die.
teacha.gif

The Council is composed of iammatt, Manton, vox and dopey. Portnoy is treasurer. Grim is amanuensis. You are in the novitiate. Will is Of Counsel.

I am just a small-timer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads