• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G&G in Sweden (shoe Appreciation)

Snowman_SE

Reaction score
Praise the Lord! Gaziano & Girling has finally arrived in Sweden. Found this cobbler in Uppsala that sells them: http://www.davidsonsskomakeri.com/gallery_96.html

Gaziano__Girling_Astaire5.jpg

Gaziano__Girling_Hanly3.jpg

Gaziano__Girling_Gable2.jpg

iand

Reaction score
I very much like the steep instep look. Can they fit people with flat instep even remotely well?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am surprised to see that there is a market in Uppsala for 1000 Euro shoes. Even in Madrid only a few stores run shoes in that price range, and that in spite of the fact that
a- the number of rich people in Madrid is far above the number of rich "Uppsalabor" (unfortunately, also the number of poor people is much larger...)
- Spanish people with money tend, as far as I have seen, to be much more inclined to "show off their wealth" than their Swedish and Lutheran counterparts (expensive whatches, expensive cars, unbuttoned jacket sleeve buttons, visible monograms on shirts, etc...)
- and, not to forget, in Madrid you can wear your expensive leather shoes for most of the year; in Uppsala I fear that rain, snow and, especially, snow slurry with salt, may be an obstacle quite a few months of the year...

Maybe I am wrong, I haven't lived in Sweden since 1994...

Snowman_SE

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
I am surprised to see that there is a market in Uppsala for 1000 Euro shoes. Even in Madrid only a few stores run shoes in that price range, and that in spite of the fact that
a- the number of rich people in Madrid is far above the number of rich "Uppsalabor" (unfortunately, also the number of poor people is much larger...)
- Spanish people with money tend, as far as I have seen, to be much more inclined to "show off their wealth" than their Swedish and Lutheran counterparts (expensive whatches, expensive cars, unbuttoned jacket sleeve buttons, visible monograms on shirts, etc...)
- and, not to forget, in Madrid you can wear your expensive leather shoes for most of the year; in Uppsala I fear that rain, snow and, especially, snow slurry with salt, may be an obstacle quite a few months of the year...

Maybe I am wrong, I haven't lived in Sweden since 1994...

Yes it's quite strange indeed. Uppsala: 140 000 inhabitants. Madrid 5 300 000 inhabitants.

But the GDP in Sweden is very high. And if there's a country where you really need high quality welted shoes, it's Sweden, becasue of mentioned weather.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Snowman_SE
Yes it's quite strange indeed. Uppsala: 140 000 inhabitants. Madrid 5 300 000 inhabitants.

But the GDP in Sweden is very high. And if there's a country where you really need high quality welted shoes, it's Sweden, becasue of mentioned weather.

The GDP may be high, but the GDP doesn't buy your shoes. I guess that what is important is your net income, or what is left after paying your taxes and the stuff that you need to survive (somewhere to live, something to eat and drink...). I would guess that few persons having a net income under EUR 1500 would by a pair of EUR 1000 shoes. I would say that EUR 1000 shoes is what you may start considering when your net income raises above, lets say, EUR 3000. This may be more common in Spain than in Sweden: lower taxes, and larger differences in salary: more poor people, but also more people making EUR 5000+ after taxes.

Regarding the weather: I personally doubt that the price of the G&G is justified by their weather resistance!

I am really intrigued by the fact that a small town (albeit known for its university) has a store offering this kind of fringe product. But I am glad for the guys living there. Are there also other nice clothing stores, or is it mostly H&M?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see. So people from Östermalm take a trip to Uppsala to get their foorwear. Why not?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrChris
Nice shoes indeed, Uppsala is located about 40 km from Stockholm, so maybe they count on attracting a clientel from Stockholm.

Uppsala is an university town...

H&M must be making more benefits than the local upmarket cobbler...

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Gaziano__Girling_Hanly3.jpg

these look like a new design, as i have not seen these before

Snowman_SE

Reaction score
Luk-cha, they're the Hanly. Launched in 2008 or 2009 I think?

I also found out that Gaziano & Girling is going to be sold at Hans Allde as well. They're having a clearance right now so G&G is not available there until next week from what I hear.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I also found out that Gaziano & Girling is going to be sold at Hans Allde as well. They're having a clearance right now so G&G is not available there until next week from what I hear.

They're very nice for rtw austerity brogues...

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

yea i looked at my catalog and realize they were part of the origional line up back in 2006/7

silly me for forgrting that, but i dont think i had seen them in the wild

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
yea i looked at my catalog and realize they were part of the origional line up back in 2006/7

silly me for forgrting that, but i dont think i had seen them in the wild

That colour makes em look nicer than the Vintage Maple they have as a default colour. These looks like Rosewood ?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
That colour makes em look nicer than the Vintage Maple they have as a default colour. These looks like Rosewood ?

vintage cherry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads