1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

G & G Finishing Imperfections: Acceptable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Pink, Jun 24, 2011.

1. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Senior member

only talking about you to you, why do you think I have been talking about you to someone else ?

2. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

Hm, I find it weird that nowadays handwork is defined by the inconsitency it supposedly is linked with...
    On crust leather it is OK to a certain degree, but that is too much.
    As for suits I have some that received the compliment that they looked "industrial". Not too many tailors left that say "what's handmade, that's that what you don't see".
    Though I like both concepts; just saying.

3. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

how sweet!

4. Cravate_Noire

I'm on the way to the airport, so answered to the thread before I did see the refinished version.
    I think that one can objectively say that this went really well! There were imperfections and now they're gone, obviously remade at the vendors/G&G's cost (referring to fritzl's comment that that he would not see a difference, also I think that lack of charcater or whatever is sheer subjetctive and has not much to do with the fact that they resolved the issue).

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

p. thank you for pointing that out. actually, i was a bit ironic.

customer satisfaction is an important issue.

6. Cravate_Noire

I heard some nasty things today from someone who is in the business and who I consider to be in the know :(.

7. Roy

Roy Senior member

About what?

8. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

care to divulge? Otherwise, my response is.....yay? We're glad to know that you know something? It seems like you're implying some disparaging situation that G&G wouldn't like to be shared. Imagine if you walked into a real conversation and said this without elaborating. Kind of bratty/douchey no?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

My god, you are an idiot. You should gossip about things you were involved in so you don't make a fool of yourself.

I told G&G I wasn't going to sell their shoes.Fortunately if you also want to drag G&G's name through the mud I saved the email thread between myself and G&G and will be happy to supply it to a neutral third party who can announce which of us is correct.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  10. Matis

Matis Member

May be you should, sir, as an Etonian.

11. cdmoore1855

spill the beans, nasty stuff about whom.

12. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    also if it can't only be seen when squinting your eyes or on 12x zoom on your camera is it really that big of a deal? as long as the shoes isn't going to fall apart!!!

13. Cravate_Noire

Sorry, I was still travelling.
    The first batches of G&G that were delivered to him had, besides the issues Will had mentioned, merely cosmetic fiddleback waists that were a construction catastrophy.
    Instead of shaping the waists upwards to the natural waost of the foot they were just like an additive at the bottom of the soles to get the fiddleback effect.
    Therefore the fiddle was scratching at the ground where the sole and waist were meeting what caused physical damage to the waist/fiddle and could result in a breaking waist in the worst case after long time wear.
    Also that guy was present at a trunkshow where a bespoke measirement was rather based on the fit of EG lasts than on actual, individual measurements (it was rather like "202, E width, etc.).
    I consider this particular info as irrelevant though, as I cant imagine that this is normal procedure and had a particular reason (and I think that the G&G bespoke clients here can confirm that).
    However, the other issues last, I also had a first close look at current rtw shoes 2 days ago and found that there were finish issues a la scratches etc. but the problem with the waist/fiddleback was resolved (though I dont consider this to be a "real" fiddleback you see on some bespome shoes.
    The overall judgement of my man in the know was that a lteast in the beginning they wanted far too much at once and didnt take their time to develop the production so that it would work perfectly (possibly to get quickly a ROI as they may have been under pressure).
    Also the hype on the internet seems to have created high expectactions that were not fullfilled ( in an interview one of the G&G guys said that without the internet it would have taken several years longer to get the sale volumes they have, IIRC).

14. cdmoore1855

We need to remember the first RTW and MTO's were produced by Alfred Sargent and were the first attempt to make production shoes like this at this price point. There were some issues and they decided to produce in their own atelier instead and they are continually trying to improve things.

As for the bespoke being more a tweak of a RTW last, Its possible that the customer mentioned that particular last fitted him so well that Tony opted to use that a base for adjustments. It would of course be good to know how satisfied he was with the fit, if he was satisfied then perhaps Tony's route to get there was justified.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011