G & G Finishing Imperfections: Acceptable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Pink, Jun 24, 2011.

1. isshinryu101

isshinryu101 Senior member

As it stands now, it does not sound as if you'd buy from them again. You're concerned and frustrated... rightfully so, i think.

As good business people, they should WANT you to tell them what happened & what you see. After you do that, the ball's in their court. If they're good business people, they will find a way to make you happy. Here's a GREAT opportunity for them to turn you into a life-long customer. If they take care of you and make you feel good and happy about your purchase, you'll go back for more.

Having a problem at the start can actually be very good for building a long-lasting business relationship.

If not, you'll be done with them. In their business, and with their prices, i would assume that they rely on positive word-of-mouth & repeat customers.

2. Leather man

Leather man Senior member

I own 25 pairs of G&G shoes and have never had the kind of finishing problems the OP has had. Nor have I ever had split soles. However I did have two pairs which I sent back because I was not happy with the leather quality. Dean Girling was a gentleman and with no hesitation agreed to have them re-made, and the new pairs were very much to my satisfaction.

I am glad you have sent them back to Nick and that Nick agrees - those faults are totally unacceptable on shoes of this price. I also agree with DWF11 that shoe factories will only learn to do better if we customers bring such faults to their attention. His point that quantity is the enemy of quality may well be the issue here as I am told G&G are getting more orders than they can easily cope with and making time is extending - which is better than them rushing the shoes of course.

3. veneto

veneto Senior member

I think demand is the big problem. I used to wait around 4 months, but now I'm up to 6 months with my last order.

4. cdmoore1855

cdmoore1855 Senior member

I would like to see the split soles that Will mentions. No pics, it never happened as they say

I only have 4 pairs of MTO, the soles have never split, perhaps he is mistaking the channel flap opening up slightly to a full blown split, very different things in my eyes.

anyway we all know that Will suddenly does not like G&G, that is why he only ordered 12 pairs and then wanted to sell them himself as an etailer, all because they were so poor quality !!!!, nuf said.

5. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would like to see the split soles that Will mentions. No pics, it never happened as they say

anyway we all know that Will suddenly does not like G&G, that is why he only ordered 12 pairs and then wanted to sell them himself as an etailer, all because they were so poor quality !!!!, nuf said.

I don't know why you would want to keep dragging G&G's dirty laundry through the mud but we can keep this thread going.

After buying perhaps forty pairs of the MTO for myself and for resale I was able to reach a conclusion that works for me. I walked away from reselling them due to a combination of pricing and quality issues. I gave most of my personal shoes away because of those same quality issues. And I don't give nearly new shoes away lightly.

G&G is completely honest, well-intentioned and will remake shoes. But they are not the first maker that I stopped buying from rather than wait an added five months or more for something I've already paid for. Now I get Cleverleys right the first time.

If any of the ones I kept are also splitting (by which I mean that four or five odd threads of leather would be detaching at the sole edges on a pair to the amazement of everyone I showed them to) I will post pics tomorrow.

'nuff said.

6. JaegerMeister

JaegerMeister Member

Ahh, moderation - forgot what it feels like to be a new member of a site.

7. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I wanted to report that I received the shoes back from Nick of Bespoke England a few days ago. The shoes were refinished, and the problems fixed. I will try to snap some pics and post later today.

8. sartbaeklv

sartbaeklv Senior member

yeah i saw that... quite the mess really
    i still think they should have honored that purchase

9. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

After refinishing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

They look great now. Glad it worked out well in the long run.

11. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

phew glad to hear it!

they look great now

12. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

/\ Both G&G and Nick A really did right by me.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011

13. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

^
    what about the inside
    of the left shoe
    near the heel?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

14. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

I think that's the right shoe. After your post, I took a close look. The finish is darker, more burnished, there and there are a couple of small indentations in the leather. The grain is not damaged, and I had to look closely in bright light to see the spot. Perhaps this shouldn't be there, but, unlike the prior defects, I can live with this.

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

phew, i can hardly see the difference, just the lack of character, they had before...

igentry at its best. wonderful.