• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G&G--cordovan or calf

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I plan to attend the G&G trunkshow in Chicago on the 17th of April. I plan to order the Rothschild shoe on the TG73 last. In you opinion will the shoe look better in black calf or cordovan #8?

I am worried about how cordovan will look and wear as I haven't had it before. I have seen some awful looking cordovan (probably low quality).

Rothschild_TG73.jpg

Here is the Mitchell model on the TG73 last. I love the last shape.
Mitchel_TG73.jpg

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you seen and handled worn cordovan in person? I have not heard of bad-quality shell, though I guess it could exist somewhere. Most of the shell seen in the U.S. is from Horween and is of good quality, so if that's what you're referring to, it may be a case of not liking the material's natural properties.

Unless I was sure I liked shell, I would not pay top dollar for a pair of shoes in it.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ A coworker has some old bostonian cordovan (according to him) and it looks awful (plastic). Someone else in the same department wears a beautiful pair of cordovan #8. The material just looks better on the later pair.

I haven't had cordovan before, but if it matters, I placed an order for a pair of Alden longwings and shorwings in cordovan #8 as I thought it looked better than black on those particular shoes.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
While not quite as sleek as those G&Gs, here are three pairs of my Vass in oxford form just so that you can what Horween cordo in a town shoe rather than a country shoe or long wing looks like after a wearing:

305947686_DiZGc-X1.jpg

290720154_CTptR-X1.jpg

287992088_ZjRpw-X1.jpg

The first two are Horween's burgundy...the #8 variation of this is exclusive to Alden, afaik, and I doubt G&G would be able to get #8.

- B

itsraylamb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
I plan to attend the G&G trunkshow in Chicago on the 17th of April. I plan to order the Rothschild shoe on the TG73 last. In you opinion will the shoe look better in black calf or cordovan #8?

I am worried about how cordovan will look and wear as I haven't had it before. I have seen some awful looking cordovan (probably low quality).

Rothschild_TG73.jpg

Here is the Mitchell model on the TG73 last. I love the last shape.
Mitchel_TG73.jpg

I have the Mitchell in Vintage Maple. Love them. I plan to be at the event on the 17th. I hope that it goes well for G&G.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics and for the clarification, Vox. Maybe i will just have to make the decision on color and not material. Your shoes look great.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh, my G&G Rothschilds in black calf for comparison:

421008291_YQjaN-L.jpg

421008380_VQYpo-XL.jpg

467603434_XnvLR-L.jpg

- B

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also like the Hughes on the TG73 last of course.
Hughes_DG70.jpg

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vox--are there any shoes that you don't have?!!! j/k

Those shoes are awesome. I am so glad that G&G is coming to Chicago...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the pics and for the clarification, Vox. Maybe i will just have to make the decision on color and not material. Your shoes look great.

Thank you. I don't recommend ignoring that cordovan and calf look quite different. They do.

The F last in Vass is plenty shapely and sleek, but it's still Vass and it has a solid look that is friendly to cordovan.

A G&G is a bit more delicate looking. If you want to execute a cordovan version of such a delicate shoe, you should be sure that you have a sense of what how that will look and that you will adore that look. So, I'm with the Doc on that.

Just sayin.

- B

southbound35

Reaction score

I haven't had cordovan before, but if it matters, I placed an order for a pair of Alden longwings and shorwings in cordovan #8 as I thought it looked better than black on those particular shoes.

If I'm understanding you correctly, buying the Rothschild in cordovan in addition to the Alden shortwings on order would leave you with two relatively similar (one obviously more sleek than the other) cordovan shortwings. If my thought process is sound and you intend to keep the Aldens, I would go with black calf. This is, of course, said without the knowledge of what other shoes you might already have.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here my Alden NST derbies in black Horween shell...theses are about sixteen or so years old and have gotten plenty of wear:

295694244_3o2C4-L.jpg

Alden's aren't the sleekest shoe, but these are on the Aberdeen last, their sleekest.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics