• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FW13: Yuketen Messenger Bags

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FW13: Yuketen Messenger Bags

Yuketen designer Yuki Matsuda is especially proud of his leather bags for Fall/Winter 2013. Made in Italy and fashioned after the famous US mail bags of the past, he’s also added the small details that have made Yuketen a go-to brand for fans of artisanal, quality, unique products. I was able to talk to Yuki and handle the bags in person in Florence.

What I like: those who have read the Manbag threads know that I like a simplicity of design, exquisite materials, a pricepoint in line with quality, and an attention to detail. Yuki has definitely done this with his bags this season. The design is classic: the US mailbag is one of the first Manbags in history, repeated in many forms from slim to thick multi-gusset messengers. Yuki has kept the history, but played with the colors. In addition to the classic tan is a warm, dark green and an indigo blue. Leathers are Italian vegetable tanned cowhide, thick and durable; though they look nice on the shelf, I’m interested to see how nicely they will patina over the next five to ten years of use by a customer. As well, I like the price; when Ralph Lauren gets high dollars for his mailbags, and the “big” brands like Prada and Gucci also put out a classic leather messenger that is now well north of $1k, these priced in the $600-800 range (though of course this may change given taxes, tariffs, and such) seem a relative bargain for the quality.

What I don’t: rivets and rugged. Yuki mentioned having the rivets done by hand to insure longevity, but I find rivets difficult as with constant use they can easily come undone. I like reinforced saddle stitching, personally, because when a rivet comes undone little can be done about it (except to have a new one put on!) Saddle stitching (or something close to it) is expensive and time-consuming to do, but will never come undone. This is a relatively minor detail, however. As well, as the picky person who loves simplicity and refinement feels that perhaps the bags are a bit TOO rugged for my tastes; this is perhaps just a subjective personal point. Since most users aren’t delivering mail on the plains of Western Kansas, having a bag made for this purpose may not be necessary. So, where some of the straps or corners are thick and rugged, I’d perhaps like a softer lining, some hints of quiet details in edging or piping, or an interior designed for greater functionality.

My overall assessment: I’ve never been a fan of mailbags and have never owned one. That being said, this one comes closest to being one I would own myself. It is also one that, seeing the requests and interests of many forum members, they should probably own. Yuki has done a great job of ensuring a fair price, quality materials, and a unique aesthetic sense that would complement denim as well as it would complement a blazer. As well, I like his commitment to small, unique changes in the bag (such as in color and material), while retaining a classic design that goes far back into history. A buyer of this bag would not be disappointed.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

They look great... do they have shoulder straps as well as shorter ones?

Yes, I think they do; look at the second pic (with the model in the red coat); you'll see the shoulder strap hanging down.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those look good

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When is this bag going to happen? :inlove:

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hits you hard with Customs/Price marked up as heck/That place carry workwear brands? :violin:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads