1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Futurama fans, new DVD coming out

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by j, Aug 2, 2007.

1. j

j Senior member Admin

From http://dvd.ign.com/articles/810/810144p1.html

This is the DVD listing on Amazon, not much there yet though:
    http://www.amazon.com/Benders-Big-Sc...6098449&sr=8-2

Having recently become somewhat of a fan, I'm looking forward to this.

2. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

From http://dvd.ign.com/articles/810/810144p1.html

This is the DVD listing on Amazon, not much there yet though:
    http://www.amazon.com/Benders-Big-Sc...6098449&sr=8-2

Having recently become somewhat of a fan, I'm looking forward to this.

Likewise. It's a late night favorite of mine when I'm too tired to move. The shift The Simpsons saw from disturbingly neo-realistic sitcom to whimsical, referential farce works a lot better in this setting. It's just a fantastic show.

3. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Futurama is one of my top 5 favorite shows ever. It is most certainly on par with the simpsons, even the 90s episodes. It's so clever and very rarely blatantly obvious. Season 4 added a lot of depth to the show with the addition of the Fry and Leela "will they won't they" love angles in the background of some of the episodes. From what i read last year, season 5 of Futurama with the same cast, and most all the same staff should be starting in summer of 2008. I really hope they don't screw it up. It'd be like if Arrested Development came back in a year or two and just wasn't the same. I wouldn't be able to deal with it.

Futurama, Arrested Development, Rome, The Office and 30 Rock are probably the only shows i can think of that i've tried to catch every new episode as it came on in the past 4 years.

4. j

j Senior member Admin

From what I've read, The new season(s) will be made up of what's on this and the other few new DVDs, cut into episode form.

5. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

I'm confused, J. You're saying that they're not going to make new seasons for tv per se, but this straight to dvd movie and a few other straight to dvd episodes?

6. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

Nevermind. I wikipedia'd it.

7. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

Can't wait. The show certainly bested the Simpsons' later seasons, and deserved much better than what it got.

8. fortune

fortune Senior member

Always loved the show. But it got old on Adult Swim after a while with the same recurring episodes. They just restarted the cycle the other night too. Lol. But here's the trailer from Comicon if anyones interested.

9. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

It's always been an underappreciated show. Across its entire run, it's quality has been more consistent than Family Guy or the Simpsons in my estimation.

Unfortunately, it ended up just another show that Fox completely mismanaged.

10. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

The thing i love about it more so than last 7 years simpsons or any family guy epsiode ever is that the humor is most often subtle but razor sharp. It's not like family guy where the punchlines and gags are really obvious and the writers spell it out for you as if we needed help recognizing the jokes. Futurama is more like 3-8 seasons simpsons where the jokes kept on coming and if you weren't careful you'd miss something very subtle. Also, there are tons of jokes in the small details that take a few watches or a very careful eye to recognize, also like glory years simpsons.

I still maintain that season 4 with the same great humor but also some stellar romantic writing is one of the best seasons of any animated television comedies ever. The Sting, The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings and most of the other episodes from that season are fantastic. I think both of those were nominated for emmys as well, not that emmys/grammys/oscars mean anything these days.

11. denning

denning Senior member

An example of the subtle jokes that Chrono mentioned is the inclusion of Klein's beer in a liquor store as the scene panned over a shelf of beer. The Klein's beer was in a Klein bottle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle). Not something most people would get.

I know there was a thread on it before, but Jurassic Bark was one of my favourite episodes.

12. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

My girlfriend actually cried at that the end of jurrasic bark