1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fused vs canvas debate

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Rudder, Apr 29, 2004.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Rudder hasn't posted in 3 years. I don't think he's coming back.

Rudder,

You had asked about Bespoke Shirts available in Toronto.

I thought you might be interested in the Bespoke shirts from my business StuartWarner.ca

These shirts go far beyond custom made or made to measure shirts. Each shirt is made specially each client. The process begins in your living room or office with a fitting consultation. This complimentary consultation includes 20 measurements as well as a discussion of your preferences and needs. The measurements and your input are used to create the approximately 30 pieces of fabric that become your shirt.

The whole process results in a shirt that fits perfectly.

If you are interested or would like to learn more please visit the site below to watch The Perfect Shirt Video.
    http://www.stuartwarner.ca/bespoke

Stuart

-------------------
    Stuart Warner Bespoke Shirts
    http://www.stuartwarner.ca
    416-512-8876

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Not just necroposting, but necroposting in the service of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

holy shit. somebody revived a 2004 thread. that's some serious necroposting here.

My thoughts exactly!

Rudder hasn't posted in 3 years. I don't think he's coming back.

3. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Not just necroposting, but necroposting in the service of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Well, at least he worked for it.

4. Krawczak

Krawczak Well-Known Member

A good thread to be necromantized, though. It's interesting to watch the birth and development of stuff that's common knowledge now. And I'm sure there are some n00bs *coughcough* who can learn a lot from this thread.

5. Sunscreenboy

Sunscreenboy Well-Known Member

This thread has been very useful. Just a final clarification, the canvased middle should feel thin, almost the same thickness as the wool cloth and inner linen correct?

If it feels too thick (most likely a chest piece which most suits have), then it's fused?

Thanks!

6. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

This thread has been very useful. Just a final clarification, the canvased middle should feel thin, almost the same thickness as the wool cloth and inner linen correct?

If it feels too thick (most likely a chest piece which most suits have), then it's fused?

Thanks!

On canvassed suits, the middle layer will be quite thick, probably thicker than the wool and lining. That's just the way canvas is, and it's not because it's fused.

---

Back to the OP, I cared about having canvassed jackets for awhile after I learned the difference. I have 1 which has a nicer lapel roll, but I wouldn't pay extra for it again. Fused suits nowadays are pretty much the same durability and I don't expect to wear any suit for decades. Either it's going to go out of style, or it's not going to fit me after a few years (for example, look at the Jerry Seinfeld-esque lapels on sport coats from 1993 that look incredibly dated.)

7. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

first of all, lets get this straight. there is no "floating" chest piece. it is anchored on three sides,both sides and the top. IT CANT FLOAT it just hangs there.
    got that off my chest. [pun intended]

check the area a few inches above the bottom and where the lining is sewn to the facing. go 2 or 3" from the seam toward the back. at that point you should feel the wool of the front and the lining. if there is a third layer between then its canvased period.
    no need to say fully, it is canvased.

if there is no third layer between ,then its either fused or half canvased.
    go up just a bit, close to the bottom of the outside pockets. if you feel the third layer, then its half canvased.
    if you cant find that third layer anywhere then its fused.

keep in mind that all constructions have a chest piece of one kind or other. so that becomes a no test. also there are different inner lapel treatments so thats no test either.

8. Sunscreenboy

Sunscreenboy Well-Known Member

tailor thank you for your response.

Feeling the suits (CK, Sakes Brand, Burberry) at off 5th, it seems that all of them has a third layer around the chest, though rather thick and sponge. I can pull apart the outside wool and the inner linen to distinguish the middle thicker material.

Are those suits half canvased?

9. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

There's a thread here that shows the garment from the inside so you have a better idea of what you are feeling and explains the canvas, chest piece, etc.

10. Alias

Alias Senior member

Honestly I don't know what the fuss is about. A good fitting fused suit will still look worlds better than a badly made "canvas" suit. And unless you're spilling something on yourself every lunch, chances are it won't fall apart early from cleaning.

11. neyus

neyus Senior member

first of all, lets get this straight. there is no "floating" chest piece. it is anchored on three sides,both sides and the top. IT CANT FLOAT it just hangs there.
    got that off my chest. [pun intended]

check the area a few inches above the bottom and where the lining is sewn to the facing. go 2 or 3" from the seam toward the back. at that point you should feel the wool of the front and the lining. if there is a third layer between then its canvased period.
    no need to say fully, it is canvased.

if there is no third layer between ,then its either fused or half canvased.
    go up just a bit, close to the bottom of the outside pockets. if you feel the third layer, then its half canvased.
    if you cant find that third layer anywhere then its fused.

keep in mind that all constructions have a chest piece of one kind or other. so that becomes a no test. also there are different inner lapel treatments so thats no test either.

Tailor has spelt out the definitive test above. You wont get far just feeling the chest, you will need to look further down as tailor has mentioned.