Further Changes at Edward Green ...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sysdoc, Mar 28, 2006.

1. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

As of late I've started to wonder about EG. We all know about the departure of Tony Gaziano and therefore EG's loss of its, certainly at least prestigeous, bespoke business. We have learned that after more than 15 years, EG left its store in London's spiffy Burlington Arcade to move to a new location in Jermyn Street only a week ago. EG has recently (supposedly been forced to) raise prices at least in the US and Canada, making the shoes somewhat harder to sell. Now another disturbing news has reached me yesterday. Susie Jones, the lovely and so knowledgeable lady in charge of Edward Green's world wide sales, who many of us know from numerous trunk shows or the sales times at Burlington Arcade, has told me that she is leaving EG by the end of this week. I just got off the phone with her. She was energetic as ever, supposedly torn half between positive anticipation of her new job at Crockett & Jones and sadness for leaving so many lovely people at Edward Green. Susie worked at Edward Green for twelve years. She joined EG together with the late John Hlustik, who's been so important for the success of this old and traditional company. Well, what can I say? Here's to you, Susie Jones! You will be missed not just by me, but by many a member of Style Forum and Ask Andy! Edward Green won't be the same without you! I wish you the best of success in your new position at C&J and I hope I'll see you there very soon!

2. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

I undrstand that Susie will be at a new Crockett & Jones store in Birmingham.

3. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Well there's panic on the streets of Carlyle,
    Dublin Dundee Humberside
    I wonder to myself...

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Don't. Stop.

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Sadly, I don't suppose you mean Alabama. [​IMG]

7. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

That's what she told me. It used to be a shoe store that, amongst other brands, also sold EGs, but it was recently purchased by Crockett & Jones. It's currently being refurbished and will open as official C&J outlet sometime past Easter. Susie will be its manager(ess). And, yes, it's Birmingham/UK, the capitol of the English Midlands and worst traffic nightmare north of London.

8. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior member

Carlisle ... hang the blessed RJ ...

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Too bad about Susie's departure. Who's going to give Duveen a hard time about looking and not buying at the trunk show now? [​IMG]

10. medwards

medwards Senior member Dubiously Honored

Too bad about Susie's departure. Who's going to give Duveen a hard time about looking and not buying at the trunk show now? [​IMG]

Hilary Freeman's quite capable of that..but if she doesn't I know we can count on you, scnupe7, kabert, virginia dandy, carson35, modsquad and a host of others to keep Duveen on his toes (and perhaps a new pair of EGs on his feet).[​IMG]

11. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

I was just thinking the same thing - off the hook!

12. Siggy

Siggy Senior member

Sounds like management problems at EG...maybe it was secretly bought out by the Russians.

13. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I was just thinking the same thing - off the hook!

In your dreams!![​IMG]

14. kabert

kabert Senior member

Well there's panic on the streets of Carlyle,
    Dublin Dundee Humberside
    I wonder to myself...

Call me morbid call me pale, I've spent six years on your trail....

15. kabert

kabert Senior member

Seriously -- what an unfortunate turn of events. The price increase by EG also makes Grenson and C&J more appealing I guess. I wonder how much C&J and Grenson (and Sargent, for that matter) are assisted financially by their relationships with Ralph Lauren, Brooks, Ben Silver, Plal, etc. I guess EG sells through RL also, and also through Saks and a few other stores (like Malouf's, Sky, Jay Kos, and Flusser), but I imagine the volume is much lower than C&J. Plus, C&J has lower-end lines as well.