• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Furniture Shopping

wallateer

Reaction score
I decided to finally move out of my college apartment since I'm not really in college anymore. I'm gonna throw most of the junk I have as furniture and get some thing decent. Nothing too fancy or expensive, but don't see the point in buying crap either. It would be great to hear any suggestions you guys might have. I'm going to start off with some basics and add the rest over time. What I'm looking to begin with is, Sofa - sectional (love seat + chaise), fabric ok, leather preferred but all leather ones I've seen in my price range look fugly. $1500 TV Stand/Entertainment center $500 Bed - King size, maybe Queen. Something nice. $750 Mattress - any advice on mattress shopping? I sleep on my side and sometimes on my back. What price range should I look in that is comparable to the other items I'm buying? I haven't started looking around locally yet because I'm still doing research. I don't know much about interior design, but I'm looking somewhat modern looking pieces (but not the metal/chrome look). I'm thinking of Maroon/Red and Grey theme, though I could easily swayed on the colors. Didn't see anything I like at Crate and Barrel, Design With Reach, Ballard Designs, Pottery Bahn, or Ethan Allen in my price range. Here are some that I like. Sofa: http://www.furniture.com/common/prod...7-e6bf0e0e4e28 (they do not ship to my location: Fargo, ND) http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse= (white glove shipping included. yay!) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507 (this seller has horrible reviews on amazon, but I love this item) FYI, I dislike fluffy looking cushions/sofas like these. http://www.ballarddesigns.com/jump.j...ProductID=1687 Bed: http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1505828 http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1094138 TV Stand: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...opnav=&browse= I wouldn't mind buying online if I had to, but it's always good to see in person what I'm buying. So what do you guys think? Do these examples look good for quoted price? Or am I likely to find way better deals? Do you have any suggestions? Particularly for a sofa because I haven't found any thing that I really like a lot. Peter PS. If my taste seems really unco-ordinated or if the examples I gave look down right gaudy or something, please tell me, so I won't regret it 2 year later.

wallateer

Reaction score
No suggestions for furniture shopping? I'm not feeling the love in here, folks.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Due to the difficulty of transportation, the furniture market is rather unfluid.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
The depreciation value of new furniture is worse than buying a new car.

I would look at the local furniture stores to see what you like, but then either go on-line, Craigslist or some other local classified site, look at classified ads in the paper or start hitting estate sales and yard sales.

The same couch that someone pays $3,500 for new will cost maybe $500 if you buy it two months later.

Why not be the one who pays the $500 to begin with?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
The depreciation value of new furniture is worse than buying a new car.

I would look at the local furniture stores to see what you like, but then either go on-line, Craigslist or some other local classified site, look at classified ads in the paper or start hitting estate sales and yard sales.

For this purpose, auctions can be terrific, if you like antiques. Also, vintage junk stores can have some wonderful items. Just today I saw a beautiful Deco bed. (Nicely minimalist design, rather than the garish junk of the later Deco years.)

Pink22m

Reaction score
At the same time, I wouldn't have a problem spending many thousands of dollars on a piece that is high quality, classic, and long lasting.

wallateer

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, Bradford and DocHolliday.

It's very rare to find a good piece of furniture at a yard sale in Fargo, but Estate sales and auctions sound promising. Are they usually advertised in newspapers or should I look elsewhere for them?

You mentioned looking online, Bradford. Do you know of any places I could look?

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Mitchell Gold and Restoration Hardware.
Might aslo check big manufactures like Henredon, they have huge catalogs and a wide cross section of styles.
Buy the best you can afford. do your homework and know that your tastes may also change. sticking with some classics will save you from potentially re -buying later.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did massive research for a bedroom set, still haven't bought anything. Came to the conclusion though that I will be buying something of high quality in a traditional style- probably Henkel Harris. Those pieces HOLD their value. A bedroom set from them bought decades ago for 8k, if properly cared for would still fetch 8k. No, you don't get the relative increase in value you would if purchasing true antique pieces, but I don't care for many of those items and know nothing about the antique market anyway.

The bed I salivate over...

http://www.henkelharris.com/productD...ID=13&pageno=6

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buff, out of curiosity, where did you do your research? I need to start picking up a few pieces and I'd like to be reasonably informed before I drop that kind of money.

dan

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wallateer
Thanks for the suggestions, Bradford and DocHolliday.

It's very rare to find a good piece of furniture at a yard sale in Fargo, but Estate sales and auctions sound promising. Are they usually advertised in newspapers or should I look elsewhere for them?

Usually the newspaper is a good bet. If you have any auction houses nearby, you can call them up and ask about upcoming sales. They'll be in the yellow pages. Most have mailing lists, too.

The good thing about auctions is that you often gauge whether the items they're selling will be of interest beforehand, particularly if it's all from one source, such as a single home.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
Buff, out of curiosity, where did you do your research? I need to start picking up a few pieces and I'd like to be reasonably informed before I drop that kind of money.

dan

this is a great starting point

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/furniture/

also, visit furniture stores that sell solid wood furniture. Many makers have great color brochures on how to tell quality work in furniture. Of course, be prepared for immense disappointment in modern furnituremaking if you're not willing to drop a ton of money.
smile.gif

Pink22m

Reaction score
bigbadbuff I did massive research for a bedroom set, still haven't bought anything. Came to the conclusion though that I will be buying something of high quality in a traditional style- probably Henkel Harris. Those pieces HOLD their value. A bedroom set from them bought decades ago for 8k, if properly cared for would still fetch 8k. No, you don't get the relative increase in value you would if purchasing true antique pieces, but I don't care for many of those items and know nothing about the antique market anyway.

The bed I salivate over...

http://www.henkelharris.com/productD...ID=13&pageno=6
That sleigh bed is quite nice; when I finally move out and get my own place, my first priority, furniture wise, is to get a magnificent sleigh bed. I really believe a bed should be the strong focal point of a bedroom.

You might also want to try Baker, as I have heard they make pretty nice furniture.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I'm moving also, to a brand-new apartment that has never been occupied and that is a mere 5-minute walk to work. This is after living in my student digs for the past four years. It cannot be made the least bit elegant and requires a three-hour round trip commute on Tokyo's inhumanly crowded trains to get to work. The mere thought of leaving this dump has me elated.

Naturally, I want to get all new furniture and have decided to furnish the whole place from my favorite Japanese furniture maker, Kagura. This will be heirloom-quality furniture that I can keep my whole life. The prices are surprisingly reasonable for the quality but by no means inexpensive. I'm prepared to spend the money and am considering it an investment.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another recommendation for Baker, but do not pay retail. I know that essentially is true for all things but especially so for furniture.

I paid 2000 bucks for a bed, entertainment center, and small armoir that have some moving damage that I intend to get repaired, which may run me another 1-2 grand. The bed still sells for 6k, entertainment center was 10k at last check.. not sure how much for the small armoir.

Needless to say, for what I paid which is essentially throwaway furniture if I decide I don't like it in two years, for possibly some of the most beautiful (after restoration) furniture in my opinion that I've laid my eyes on, I'm all for it. Watch for a deal. Craigslist is a decent place to look too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads