1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Furniture Shopping

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by wallateer, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Cool, thanks. When I think of futon, I think of the college-dorm couch that unfolds into a bed. Sounds like you're describing a flip 'n' fuck (sorry) which I've also heard called a futon. Can these be high-quality, or are they all dorm quality?

The kagura beds look like they might be similar in construction to German beds, which have springy slats instead of a box spring. Am I seeing them wrong?

Thanks for your help. I'm going to need a bed one day; need to figure out where I'm going to live first though.

American futons are nearly as thick as a regular mattress. Japanese futons are only about three or four inches thick, but are placed on top of tatami mats, which offer enough cushion for a comfortable but firm sleep.

The Tatami Bed, shown with the mats, would be solid and rigid, without slats. Any cushion would come from the give of the tatami mats. I think the bottom one would simply be a wooden platform you put a mattress on top of.

2. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

3. wallateer

wallateer Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the replies, guys. But unfortunately, most brands mentioned are out of my price range.

Sofa - $1400-1600 shipped
    Bed - $700-800 shipped

I've almost decided to scrap the TV stand and get a wall mount for the plasma. So I can put that money towards a mattress.

Thanks anyway for your advice.

4. dah328

dah328 Senior member

5. tedbearz

tedbearz Senior member

Anyone have recommendations for places to shop online and B&M for affordable modern furniture. Ie DWR etc. I am in NYC.

6. johnapril

johnapril Senior member