• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Furniture Help!

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some furniture for my house, and I really don't know many website I can look at to find something I like. So I was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of a few different website that had good quality contemporary furniture. I like the look of Pottery Barn's more modern furniture for a point of reference. Thanks guys.

Also I read an article about designer chaise lounges a while ago, I think it was on GQ or something. It had some stuff I liked, but I can't find it anymore. So if anyone know where that is, that would also be helpful.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an FYI, I don't believe Pottery Barn is considered modern furniture.

For more modern, I'd check out Room and Board (not to say everything there is).

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both Room & Board and DWR will have many pieces representint mid-20th-century design; and they both sell via their websites and are easy and convenient if you want a specific piece and they carry it. Shopping exclusively from them (and their contemporaries) won't give you the most unique or distinctive interior though. You could risk having too much of a catalog look.

If you live in a major metropolitan area, you will likely find lots of "vintage" (meaning mid-20th-century design) pieces via Craigslist or local "antique" stores. When I was refurnishing my apartment in 2007 and spending a lot of time on Craigslist, it seemed like the Chicago-area was rife with mid-20th century stuff: Herman Miller, Eames, Knoll, Steelcase, etc., etc., etc.

Check out our very own Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata thread. Follow the links on stuff that catches your eye and go from there.

Also, in addition to Better Living Through design, a few other blogs I bookmarked in 2007 were

I don't read them much anymore, but I do remember them being at least good jumping-off points for finding other blogs, designers and vendors of modern and contemporary design and furniture. Oh, and Dwell magazine too. I know it gets a lot of flack, but I pick up a copy and just flip through the pictures and advertisers; just like browsing 20 vendor websites in one issue.

Some additional vendor websites to check out:

My personal experience when doing the big refurnishing project in 2007 was this: there are a lot of web resources related to modern and contemporary design out there. It's pretty easy to spend a relatively small, but focused effort in surveying the landscape and seeing a whole lot of pictures of stuff to help narrow the field into the type of stuff you like and you don't. Then, you can focus on vendors who carry the stuff you like.

For me, after about 2 month of reading, looking and seeing pieces in real-life, I was ready to start buying. YMMV.

kleny

Reaction score
i was contemplating starting a thread of my own but i did a search instead!! i know someone out there is proud of me...

im in the search for modern furniture as well...I live in NYC and Ive been to this store. http://metrosleek.com/furniture/products/index.php

so far everything seems fine. their customer service has been superb and they even say free in home installation. has anyone had any experience with this place?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads