• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Furniture for My New Apartment

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
The question is: if you have developed this taste over time, along with a desire to own these pieces, why have you not added some of these pieces to your existing interior? If you've had this love for the LCW for so long, why don't you have one? The point made here is that, unless we're missing something, you are going from a 100% IKEA apartment in which you lived for years to a 90% new interior where you're acquiring these "classics" you've been dreaming about. It's just odd to me. Sounds like you're starting from scratch and you want your place to look like you're starting from scratch by tearing a page of the DWR catalog...

Well, do you buy everything the moment you decide you want it? We've known for a long time that we were not staying in Chicago and always intended to upgrade our furniture after moving. That, and our budget did not always allow us to do so. I guess I don't understand what's odd about waiting for the right time to get what you want.

I also don't get why it matters if many of our things can be found at DWR. DWR happens to carry a lot of modern classics--in fact, unless I am mistaken, it was among the first retailers to make such furniture directly available to consumers. Anybody who likes modern furniture is likely to have a lot of stuff that can be found there.

Originally Posted by Renault78law
One viable alternative would be to by a used Crate & Barrel chair.
nest.gif

Well, we do want to upgrade what we have now. Our current sofa is a constant cause of back pain.

Originally Posted by RJman
Have you thought of getting a cat? I've seen cats make modernist interiors very homey.

Do they now? I was under the impression that they just scratch things, shed hair, and act bitchy.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Do they now? I was under the impression that they just scratch things, shed hair, and act bitchy.
That would be a very confused cat, now wouldn't it?

They prefer the Corbusier lounge chair to the Breuer Wassily chairs. FYI. I'm sure the Eames chair would be a favorite.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where's odoreater when you need him? Someone has to tell you guys to leave the **** decorating stuff to your women. It's gone on for 200 posts already!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That would be a very confused cat, now wouldn't it?

They prefer the Corbusier lounge chair to the Breuer Wassily chairs. FYI. I'm sure the Eames chair would be a favorite.

The Wassily chair is not comfortable at all to me; the Corbusier lounge chair, on the other hand, is very comfortable--assuming that I'm reclining.

Originally Posted by GQgeek
Where's odoreater when you need him? Someone has to tell you guys to leave the **** decorating stuff to your women. It's gone on for 200 posts already!

Oh please. This entire website is '****' to most people.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oh please. GQg33k, you're '****' to most people.

Fixed, because it had to be said.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Wassily chair is not comfortable at all to me; the Corbusier lounge chair, on the other hand, is very comfortable--assuming that I'm reclining.

Oh please. This entire website is '****' to most people.

I was in large part just making fun of myself, mafoo.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ight=placemats

I actually misquoted him. He said girly.
lol8[1].gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fixed, because it had to be said.

RJ, if I ever find out where you live, watch out:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Have you thought of getting a cat? I've seen cats make modernist interiors very homey.

All white interior + black cat sounds like it would make the cleaning worth it.

atomicranch

Reaction score
For some possible inspiration, here's my place. Most of the pieces are vintage that I had restored.

It's easy to go over-the-top with iconic MCM pieces, to which I may have fallen prey, but I simply bought what I liked. It turned out many of them were classics.

001qs3.jpg

005po7.jpg

007lr5.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ You have some beautiful things. I like how you chose more muted colors for a lot of the iconic pieces. Is that a Florence Knoll settee? We were choosing between that and the sofa and went for the sofa in the interest of size, but it looks like the settee might have worked for us.

With modern stuff, I tend to think it matters less what period things came from and more how you piece them together. Using a lot of furniture that happens to be mid-century modern is different from decorating your home with a mid-century theme.

I like the settee in that color fabric. I don't think tan works as well in the leather version, though--not enouch surface texture to contrast with wood floors. What are your thoughts on a cream/ivory/off-white leather for the same piece?

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With modern stuff, I tend to think it matters less what period things came from and more how you piece them together. Using a lot of furniture that happens to be mid-century modern is different from decorating your home with a mid-century theme.

The pics above are more towards the latter in my opinion. The Lichtenstein repro is just too on the nose.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Multiple posters have suggested that we not buy all of our furniture at once. But I'm confused because I can't fathom a viable alternative.

I'm one of those posters. My thought was to get only those pieces that are absolutely essential to your daily lives, and leave everything else out. For me, that'd be the couch, the dining table, and dining chairs. Surely you can live without the other stuff for now, and have a slightly bare apartment?

--Andre

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
The pics above are more towards the latter in my opinion. The Lichtenstein repro is just too on the nose.

Well, even if that's the case, I think tweaking a handful of small details would go a long way: the Lichtenstein, the clock, the lamp, the pillows, and the rug. But on the other hand, it's close enough to the line that I think it matters much more whether atomicranch genuinely likes everything.

Personally, I'd go for a different color scheme--I like a less blended look, with more contrast and light. But then I'm sure most eveyrone here would say my taste is too minimalistic.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I'm one of those posters. My thought was to get only those pieces that are absolutely essential to your daily lives, and leave everything else out. For me, that'd be the couch, the dining table, and dining chairs. Surely you can live without the other stuff for now, and have a slightly bare apartment?

--Andre

Sure, but monetarily, that's already most of everything! All that's left are the Eames LCWs, the rug, and the coffee table. After buying the stuff you recommend, how wrong could we possibly go?

atomicranch

Reaction score
^^^ You have some beautiful things. I like how you chose more muted colors for a lot of the iconic pieces. Is that a Florence Knoll settee? We were choosing between that and the sofa and went for the sofa in the interest of size, but it looks like the settee might have worked for us. With modern stuff, I tend to think it matters less what period things came from and more how you piece them together. Using a lot of furniture that happens to be mid-century modern is different from decorating your home with a mid-century theme. I like the settee in that color fabric. I don't think tan works as well in the leather version, though--not enouch surface texture to contrast with wood floors. What are your thoughts on a cream/ivory/off-white leather for the same piece?
It's a vintage Florence Knoll sofa that Knoll doesn't make anymore (note the walnut base). It's halfway between the length of the settee and sofa that Knoll currently offers. Off -white leather is a classic for the sofa. Hard to go wrong. I have a recently acquired Flo Knoll parallel bar chair that I just had recovered in cream leather (photos were taken before I got it).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads