1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Furnishing new apartment

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by LooksGood, Mar 3, 2013.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bresch's kitchen pricing sounds accurate. The typical kitchen build in the U.S. is very expensive; the kitchen is the part of a home that people invest the most money in. I would bet that whatever you are getting done for $1,500 in Europe is nowhere near as comprehensive. My sister and her husband recently spent over $150k to redo their kitchen. That covers granite counter tops, custom cabinetry, Wolf oven/rangetop, dual Sub-Zero refrigerators, etc.

2. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Sub 1500$ is just cabinet installation.

You guys are being robbed by your builders, I thought danish builders were expensive, but 150k$ for a kitchen refurb., has to be down to the stud work and back up, with a nice kitchen and all appliances or insanely large, otherwise it doesn't make any sense.

I can get a full kitchen refurb done on my kitchen for sub 25k$ all in, at 60k we are talking high end, not mid or low.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Finn, the average high-end kitchen appliances (fridge, cooktop, exhaust, two ovens, microwave, dishwasher, wine cooler) are probably 50-60K all in.

The kitchens here (and appliances) may be larger than in Denmark, but yes, we are getting robbed.

lefty

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

:rotflmao:

Just looked up what all Miele top of the line (combo/microwave, 2 steam ovens, induction hob etc.) plus a full size Liebherr wine cooler, would cost and it totaled 29.049$ incl. delivery.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

Is that wholesale?

lefty

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Nope took the retail prices from a large online retail store

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

I know who to call for my next kitchen.

lefty

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Since Miele top of the line costs about 2/3rds of the equivalent Wolf, Viking or Subzero appliances, this is right in line with Lefty's comment.

9. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

fwiw, i believe Miele offers substantial (40% or so) discounts to architects in the US.

10. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A

150K that is small time, your relatives are poor. I just had 7th guest bathroom installed in a pool house for 1.5 million.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Don't think we get either of those in Europe or I have never seen them and Miele has an insanely good reputation, so I wouldn't pay the extra $.

Wholesale is 40-50% under retail, just like most furniture.

12. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

The mark up on kitchens is horrendous. A friends father manufactured them himself and said depending on the maker, kitchen units have mark up of anywhere to 80%.
    Kitchen appliances come on top of this but from my experience a nice kitchen in Europe will cost between 6k and 15k USD. Like everything though if you have enough money the sky is the limit.
    Gaggenau´s stand at the international furniture show in Cologne was amazing. All the accessories like pressures cookers etc were built into the walls etc. The funny thing about the kitchen thing is that most of the people I know who put in his value kitchens don´t actually utilize them that often.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I don't think it's 80% here, although some of the high street chains are close, I know some gives 50% discount and still make money, the more expensive ones haven't got as high mark ups.

The one I worked with had a 45% retail margin, which had to cover shipping etc., as well.

The London Schiffini retailer said once on Grand Designs, that most people who bought their kitchens could afford to go to a Michelin restaurant every day for dinner, so they wouldn't use them at all.

Speaking of Gaggenau.

http://retaildesignblog.net/2012/01/27/gaggenau-showroom-amsterdam/

14. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

Ahh hell Finn, why did you go and post that link. I´m all depressed now.
    That said however, if I had a kitchen like that I´d probably just order takeaway and eat it while admiring my kitchen.

15. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

If you had a kitchen like that, you would live in a showroom :p

16. twistoffat

twistoffat Senior member

and I would invite everyone around just to show them ;)

17. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

18. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Good god. $150k for a kitchen. I don't think I'd be able to sleep.

19. furo

furo Senior member

so what did the op end up doing

20. furo

furo Senior member