• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fur is Dead.

Shraka

Reaction score
PETA annoys the crap out of me. They have been harassing our government and farmers to stop mulesing (which is cutting off some excess flesh from a sheep to stop blow fly strike from eating their flesh away) because apparently it's unethical to cure something of a really seriously problem. There are a few alternatives to mulesing, but none of them prevent the problem, so you have to seek out fly strike afflicted sheep, and scrape the maggots out of their flesh. But does PETA care about this? No. Of course not! They haven't even researched the matter because they have knee jerk reactions to issues, and don't really know anything. If I was a sheep, I'd wanna have the mulesing done. Pink actually spoke out about Mulesing and said that people should boycott the Australian will industry. She then back flips when she finds out that not only is mulesing a good thing, but we've ALREADY AGREED TO PHASE IT OUT BY 2010 which PETA knew about but didn't tell her, despite supporting her public announcement. Damage done though, our wool industry took a hit from that one with "some American and British clothing retailers agreeing to the boycott". PETA are vigilantes who rather than lobbying the appropriate groups for change, use violence and ignorance of the public to force the changes they want, regardless of if they are what's best for the animals. Sources: http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro.../LC20050505044 http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001026,00.html I love animals, and am all for treating them ethically and not causing un-due stress or harm. But there are proper institutions for looking after animals and making sure they are treated humanly, in Australia we call it the RSPCA.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Alligators, crocodiles and snakes are skinned alive in order to ensure that the skins do not dry out.

I can't even imagine what that would feel like.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shraka
PETA annoys the crap out of me. They have been harassing our government and farmers to stop mulesing (which is cutting off some excess flesh from a sheep to stop blow fly strike from eating their flesh away) because apparently it's unethical to cure something of a really seriously problem.

There are a few alternatives to mulesing, but none of them prevent the problem, so you have to seek out fly strike afflicted sheep, and scrape the maggots out of their flesh. But does PETA care about this? No. Of course not! They haven't even researched the matter because they have knee jerk reactions to issues, and don't really know anything.

If I was a sheep, I'd wanna have the mulesing done.

Pink actually spoke out about Mulesing and said that people should boycott the Australian will industry. She then back flips when she finds out that not only is mulesing a good thing, but we've ALREADY AGREED TO PHASE IT OUT BY 2010 which PETA knew about but didn't tell her, despite supporting her public announcement.

Damage done though, our wool industry took a hit from that one with "some American and British clothing retailers agreeing to the boycott".

There are proper institutions for looking after animals and making sure they are treated humanly, in Australia we call it the CSIRO.

Sources:
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro.../LC20050505044
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001026,00.html

Wasn't this campaign directed more towards less ethical wool farmers (?) than those that were doing it properly?

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PETA=bunch of zombified commies
devil.gif

Would look for each and every excuse just to shyt on the free enterprise under the guise of caring for the poor animals.

emoticon_Artisan_Fan

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Wasn't this campaign directed more towards less ethical wool farmers (?) than those that were doing it properly?

Not that I'm aware of. PETA did damage to our wool industry over misunderstandings (or misrepresentation). They're still pressuring us to stop the practice all together.

There are no other sure fire ways of stopping fly strike that I or the farming industry are aware of. The suffering fly strike inflicts on sheep is horrible. The only reasons I can think PETA would want to ban this is because they see animals having flesh cut off and get angry, without doing any research, or because they are malicious arseholes who don't want animals being farmed at all, so use any excuse to attack farmers. Either way PETA needs a kick ***********.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shraka
PETA annoys the crap out of me. They have been harassing our government and farmers to stop mulesing (which is cutting off some excess flesh from a sheep to stop blow fly strike from eating their flesh away) because apparently it's unethical to cure something of a really seriously problem.

There are a few alternatives to mulesing, but none of them prevent the problem, so you have to seek out fly strike afflicted sheep, and scrape the maggots out of their flesh. But does PETA care about this? No. Of course not! They haven't even researched the matter because they have knee jerk reactions to issues, and don't really know anything.

If I was a sheep, I'd wanna have the mulesing done.

You silly Aussie. PETA is protecting the poor, poor blow fly.

Shraka

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
You silly Aussie. PETA is protecting the poor, poor blow fly.
OH! Of course! By preserving their home in the flesh of other living animals, they are letting blowflies have freedom from oppression! How silly of me, I should have guessed. On a serious note, this whole "KFC tortures animals!" thing is bullshit. Bloody Pamela Idiotson and her media circus public attacks on companies. KFC buys it's chicken from Steggles and Ingham! You can go down to the supermarket and buy those some brands of chicken. KFC doesn't actually own any chicken farms! If they want to protest the treatment of chickens (which I must admit is pretty ghastly in some of those places) they should protest against Steggles or Ingam! But of course, they don't have the same face to the public as KFC, and have less to loose from a sledging campaign. =_=

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads