1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Funny: What happens in an Internet car forum

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by blofeld, Jun 9, 2010.

1. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Funny. Made me think of that SF threak with the body-building analogy (the noob had a point).

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

3. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Senior member

This is hilarious, and almost reminiscent of the auto-related threads in SF.

4. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

"Beefeater limited slip differential"

[​IMG]

5. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

Hahahahaha E30 BMW.......

6. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

SF version:

Q: "hi, i'm a jobless student with an interview in a week - help me pick out a good value suit that's quickly and widely available"

A: "bespoke Rubinacci"

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

SF version: Q: "hi, i'm a jobless student with an interview in a week - help me pick out a good value suit that's quickly and widely available" A: "bespoke Rubinacci"
    [​IMG] So true on the car forums. Perfectly applicable on audio forums as well.

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

SF version: Q: "hi, i'm a jobless student with an interview in a week - help me pick out a good value suit that's quickly and widely available" A: "bespoke Rubinacci"
    [​IMG] You forgot to add: Q: "I also need a good pair of inexpensive shoes, also quickly available" A: "bespoke Koji Suzuki"

9. dune

dune Senior member

Isn't that what happens in an episode of How I Met Your Mother too?

10. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Funny, but inaccurate. The car forum guys all have "beaters" that they drive day-to-day. They have to since their "rides" spend more time on blocks than on the road, as any enthusiast will tell you...

11. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

Funny, but inaccurate. The car forum guys all have "beaters" that they drive day-to-day. They have to since their "rides" spend more time on blocks than on the road, as any enthusiast will tell you...

Hey, I resemble that remark. Really all mine run though.

Unless you are planning to do some spirited driving or going on a poker run or something it's highly impractical to drive some exotic car all the time. You got running cost, male curiosity, loud exhaust etc to deal with.

I normally drive my accord. Only once has some guy came up to me to talk about accords. Asked me how I liked it. Told him it's a ugly piece of shit but it gets me where I need to go and doesn't break down. He didn't like my answer, seems he had the same car. [​IMG]

I'm in the middle of hunting down an early 80s jaguar XJ6. Gonna try and use that as my daily driver and see how it goes. At least use it for nice weather. Then back to the accord for winter.

12. aleksandr

aleksandr Senior member

[​IMG] You forgot to add: Q: "I also need a good pair of inexpensive shoes, also quickly available" A: "bespoke Koji Suzuki"
    Plus eleventybillion. Not just clothes - E.g. - http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=183942 Some guy starts out asking for bluray vs DVD, and along the way popcorn hour, torrents, ps3s, netflix, all make appearances.

13. nerazzurrri

nerazzurrri Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha E30 BMW.......

That's God's chariot, the car that started it all for sports cars..

14. computerpro3

computerpro3 Senior member

Once you get an exotic, you'll want to drive it everyday. Curiosity and loud exhaust are part of the experience.. Driving an exotic makes going to the grocery store the highlight of your day. Even in the winter. Cost also isn't an issue if you have an exotic.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  15. epb

epb Senior member

Daily driving an exotic quickly feels like abuse. A quick run to the store means a trip that doesn't let the engine or tires warm at speeds that don't let you enjoy the performance you paid for; it means large expensive rims hitting potholes on poorly maintained urban streets (or torn up for repaving), while surrounded by inattentive drivers in uninsured beaters that don't give a damn; it means parking a wide car in spaces designed for compacts next to people that will ding you out of jealousy or just plain apathy. Why put it thru that crap, regardless of how much money you have, when it's not what you bought it for? No one buys a Ferrari 458 dreaming of the 20mph run to Walgreens, any more than they buy a designer suit to mow the lawn and clean out the garage.

The opposite is what I see - people on enthusiast forums that won't daily drive ordinary cars. A BMW forum I'm on recently had a post from someone looking for a Toyota or Honda because he didn't want to rack up miles on his 2-year old 1-series coupe (wtf?).

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

This is what I see mostly, too. On the other hand, someone in my neighborhood daily, including overnight, parks his Ferrari outside and another one who parks a beautifully restored vintage RR outside. :confused:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  17. computerpro3

computerpro3 Senior member

I have a feeling you've never owned an exotic. Once you do get one, you'll never want to leave it in the garage. The idea of a true "car guy" leaving the Ferrari in the garage to "not rack up miles" is ludicrous.

A BMW isn't an exotic. BMW forums are filled with people that think they are, and thus go through the motions of what they think exotic owners do (Driving a civic as a beater, for example). Go to Ferrari Chat and you'll see hundreds of owners who daily drive.

You put it through that crap because it IS what you bought it for - an exotic is something that makes your life better and more enjoyable. Who cares about mileage - you don't keep exotics long enough to worry about 100k reliability. Just trade it in an get another one. I'd wager that most exotics are kept for under 30k by their original owner. Perhaps under 20.

A picture of ours in it's winter daily driver glory:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sure, it's more fun driving 140mph on a canyon run than a 20mph trip to the grocery store but answer me this - is 20mph more fun in a Maserati or a Honda Civic?

The only time when the Maserati isn't driven is in fresh snow, in which case the Audi A8L is the choice.

We buy cars to drive and enjoy, not to look at (though that is a nice bonus too).

18. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

Great car. I'm over on Ferrari Chat as well...

Once you own 6 "exotics" they aren't so "exotic" anymore and yes...you drive the hell out of them. I don't understand the saving mileage talk

19. Pilot

Pilot Senior member