1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Funny story from The Chap Magazine

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Panzeraxe, May 23, 2005.

1. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior Member

In the early 60s, that decade upon which politicians now blame all ills, I had just had a hearty luncheon at the CafÃ[​IMG] Royal, the cost of which was 10 shillings, including half a bottle of Claret and a generous tip. Strolling along Regent Street afterwards, I saw a gents' outfitters with the sign "Any three ties for one guinea" in the window. I came away with a red-and-dark-blue striped tie, one with silver-and-light-blue stripes, and a third had a green-and-mauve stripe.
    The following week I was on a business trip to New York, wearing a clerical grey worsted suit, bowler hat and the red-and-dark-blue striped tie. At the BOAC check-in at Heathrow, a gentleman with a similar tie to mine asked me where I was commissioned in the Honourable Artillery Company. I made the excuse of rushing to an aeroplane and left him twiddling his moustache. The tie went to a Manhattan taxicab driver.
    Some months later I was in a country pub, wearing the silver tie with my Harris Tweed suit. A rather smart grey-haired gentleman tapped me on the shoulder and said: "You are far too young to be wearing that tie." It turned out that the tie belonged to the Royal Flying Corps and is only worn by pilots who flew in the 1914-1918 war. I gave him the tie and apologised.
    Not wanting to cause further outrage with the third tie, I entered a military retailers in Leeds, I asked the assistant if he could identify it. "Sir will not want to wear this tie," was his reply, "as it belongs to the famous girls' school, Rodean."
    Since then, it has been polka dots or nothing.

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

You should post it on Andy. Better be careful with those ER ties then -- never know when the a fellow member of the Royal Corp of Ravenmasters or the Queen's Royal Ratcatchers might be in Boodle's with you.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

I frankly don't care which regiments colors I'm wearing on my tie, if I like the tie I'm going to wear it. And if some WWI veteran wants to take it from me, he is going to come through me first. [​IMG] Jon.

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

5. FIHTies

FIHTies Distinguished Member

6. Charley

Charley Distinguished Member

Could we commission a tie for the 1st regiment of the Under Plunder Big Gun Corp?

7. Cliff

Cliff Senior Member

Sorry, I was experimenting and fat fingered this. Didn't mean to post.

8. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

POW = Prisoner of War [​IMG]

10. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior Member

I wasn't aware that the American military took British soldiers as POWs at the moment; in my recent experience in Iraq, they simply shoot at them. Enjoy wearing the service ties you are not really entitled to wear, gentlemen, but spare a thought for the sacrifice they represent to many of us who wear and have worn uniform in the service of our countries.