• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funny article about "going out" shirts

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Augusto - do you always wear a white suit when you go grocery shopping?

apparently so, with jacket sleeves that are a tad too long. but still, more power to him.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
And never, ever, ever decent shoes - they will get stepped, scratched, and spilled upon.

wear the decent shoes anyway - at least the more solid makes. they're meant to be taken through hell anyway. Maybe not the JL's, EG's or C&J Handgrades, but the stuff at the AE/C&J Benchgrade/ level, definitely.

i'll wear my AE's or C&J's out.

itskub

Reaction score
I hate them. I hate the whole 'going out' style; typical blazer, dressed jeans, and big black square toed shoes. I know im not the only one on this.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Oh, he mentioned the Ferragamo's.

Seinfeld was the greatest.
worship.gif

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
You "yada yada'd" over the best part.

hah well it was pretty obvoius what happened?
no?

I got a nice free outfit that day, got laid, she was in control the whole time but hey it felt like it was my birthday and not hers...
haah im not complaining

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvin1663
^what is that, hot chocolate?!

I had a good long puzzle when you pointed that out, since I hate hot chocolate, and have since remembered that it is Irish Coffee!

Thanks for helping me solve the mystery
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Originally Posted by gdl203
Augusto - do you always wear a white suit when you go grocery shopping?

Yes. Well, actually I had gone out at 11pm and was getting back at 9am and wanted breakfast. Hence my general dishevelment.

I should, though, that would be awesome. Go with 70s Travolta collar for best effect.

Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Next to bundled up girl white suit looks a bit too early for a season. But I commend you for wearing a white suit in Boston.

Heh...actually, that's March in Cairo, believe it or not. The girl is Swedish, which is why she's dressed like that.

Being Cairo, the white suit is now more of a grey suit. But then what are white suits for but to get dirty with character?!

harryx2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regarding loud clubbing wear, I do believe that people have the right to wear different clothes for clubbing and stuff, but it doesn't have to be the "Travolta in the 70s way". Hedi Slimane has created a lot of "loud" clothing for going out. So did Rykiel.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harryx2
Regarding loud clubbing wear, I do believe that people have the right to wear different clothes for clubbing and stuff, but it doesn't have to be the "Travolta in the 70s way". Hedi Slimane has created a lot of "loud" clothing for going out. So did Rykiel.

People have a right to do all sorts of stupid stuff. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be laughed at. That said, I've worn lots of crazy things "out" just to see if it could be done. I think the best "going out" shirt I ever owned was a deconstructed Dirk Schonberger piece I picked up at Maxfield's on sale. It had a tuxedo style bib that was constructed of strips of multicolored cloth. The idea was that the shirt would
evolve" as these striped disintegrated. It was incidentally also very well made, of very good materials. I wore it with a slim black suit with distinct ribbing (vintage Versace, I believe) and a Ferragamo belt with brass hardware.

migo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan

The only time I let a girl shop for me with
me is a long ass time ago when this chick and her friend wnated to dress me up for her bday. This was my freshman year in college. I wasnt to keen on the idea but since the chik whose bday it begged for it and said I dont have to worry about the bill, I complied. She paid for a Miu Miu shirt, some Brown suede ferragamo lace ups, and Varvatos pants. They were all on sale. But the bill was 550, I remember. Then she made me wear it to her birthday party dinner and at the club and then she took me home with her and yada yada yada..It all worked out well...

I guess the OP has hope then...

thats a good deal!

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The NYT in its "BoÃ
00ae.png
te" clubbing column always notes, e.g.: "DRESS CODE Retro T-shirts, sports jerseys or button-downs with top buttons undone for men. Baby-doll dresses, anything lace-trimmed, slingbacks for women." for The Beehive, 541 Tremont Street, Boston

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harryx2
I wouldn't consider Slimane's or Rykiel's clothing "going out" clothing. None of it is intrinsically flashy and cheap at the same time, which tends to characterize most clothing marketed as "club-wear".

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Good enough excuse, my friend.

My "going out" shirt is just a black short-sleeve button down. Nothing special.

JB

"Black short-sleeve"? Isn't that what police officers wear over there?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads