• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Funeral suit

Cameron59

Reaction score
I purchased a suit from Suit Supply that is their most relaxed fit. It's mid grey. 42 R. However, it seems too "slim fit" to be appropriate for a funeral. I think I'd like a somewhat looser fit if I were to buy a new suit for funeral purposes. I'm slim. 175 pounds. 6 foot 1 inch tall. I'm 59 years old. I'd be interested to know your opinion. I certainly don't want a 1990s fit, but something more classic. How would I find such a suit of good quality? I really don't want to go the Menswear house look, Jos. Bank, etc. Are Suit Supply suit fits just too modern for a man of my age?

Thanks

paxonus

Reaction score
I purchased a suit from Suit Supply that is their most relaxed fit. It's mid grey. 42 R. However, it seems too "slim fit" to be appropriate for a funeral. I think I'd like a somewhat looser fit if I were to buy a new suit for funeral purposes. I'm slim. 175 pounds. 6 foot 1 inch tall. I'm 59 years old. I'd be interested to know your opinion. I certainly don't want a 1990s fit, but something more classic. How would I find such a suit of good quality? I really don't want to go the Menswear house look, Jos. Bank, etc. Are Suit Supply suit fits just too modern for a man of my age?

Thanks
Yes, SuSu is not a good idea for you. You would be better served by Brooks Brothers. I wear the Regent fit, and it is slim, but still classic. For reference, I am 62, 5' 9" and 150, and the Regent fits me quite nicely. They also have a Madison fit which is a fuller cut.

Cameron59

Reaction score
Yes, SuSu is not a good idea for you. You would be better served by Brooks Brothers. I wear the Regent fit, and it is slim, but still classic. For reference, I am 62, 5' 9" and 150, and the Regent fits me quite nicely. They also have a Madison fit which is a fuller cut.
Thank you. This is very helpful.

maxalex

Reaction score
Are you buying a suit only for funerals? If so, it should ideally be black. But as black suits which aren’t tuxedos have no other use unless you are a limousine driver, they are impractical for men on sartorial budgets. Which is why most of us, when called upon to grieve, choose a suit in navy or gray from our existing wardrobe—the darker the better.

The cut or style is irrelevant. As with all tailored clothing, it should fit you properly. Wear a white shirt and a dark tie. A black silk pocket square is a thoughtful and affordable touch.

eagleman

Reaction score
Get a good navy suit from Brooks Brothers. It will serve you for many years.

SGTROCK

Reaction score
At 6.1 I would think you would be a 42L not Reg

johng70

Reaction score
Let me add this: how often are you going to be wearing the suit? Buying a $1500 suit doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you're only going to wear it 1 or 2 times a year to a wedding/funeral. As long as it fits fine, you're not going to realize the benefit of the higher quality cloth & canvasing. Navy is a great choice because of it's flexibility. But, I don't see paying BB prices if this is just the 1 or 2 times a year suit.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 61 17.3%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 118 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 105 29.7%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 37 10.5%
  • 9”

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%