• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funeral + No Cash = HELP!

ADH

Reaction score
I have the funeral of my late grandfather to attend on Friday and don't have a suit to wear. This is especially important because I am a paulbearer(sp?). This has been a long time coming but having only ever owned one suit, which no longer fits (I wasn't to keen about sizing five years ago) and am extremely low on cash leaving no options as to how to obtain a suit for the funeral. I don't want to charge one and take on any debt, so does anyone have any suggestions for what I should do? As well, I needs some shoes to compliment. HELP!

Reaction score
What size are you?
I am sure some forum members have some black suits they are willing to jettison for a noble cause.

heard546

Reaction score
What size suit are you looking for?

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While waiting to see if a good-natured SF'r whill come to your aid;

1) Post your size here - Coat, waist, pants inseam
2) Start scouring any thrift shops you've got close by.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
Can you borrow a suit from a friend?
Borrowing a suit from a friend or relative is a good idea. Otherwise, Goodwill is likely to have a jacket and shoes at a bargain price.

JordanH.

Reaction score
i know that you can find one for very cheap at K&G. i'm talking 100 dollars cheap. the only acceptable shoes i saw at k&g were black florsheim cap toes for 69.99. not sure if this helps, but i hope it does.

ADH

Reaction score
Size? Ehh, **** I can't remember! 38 regular I believe, W28/29, L32. I've thought about scouring the thrift stores but isn't most of their stuff outdated? As far as shoes goes, I've never seen a pair in thrift store that would work. I'm talking no extra cash here.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Seems to me that your best options are: (1) borrow one; (2) suck it up and charge a very cheap suit and shoes; (3) have the old one tailored to fit if possible; or (4) don't wear a suit.

Seems to me that being there is what's most important. If you feel it's important to wear a suit (which I agree is preferable), you just have to balance how important that is against the importance of your desire not to take on any debt.

And as far as thrifting a suit, is it really that big a deal if you find something a bit outdated? It's for a family funeral, not the MTV Video Awards.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the who cares if it's outdated. If it's not a suit, you can pick up SOME sort of a coat for under $20 at a thrift shop that should work with whatever else you've got.

You'd be shocked at what you can find at some thrift shops. Pick the nicest part of whatever area you live in and find the closest thrift shop to that area. You may not find exactly what you'd like, but I guarantee you can find something that's cheap and will work in a pinch.

ADH

Reaction score
Johnny- I have a rather nice Benneton peacoat I am suppose to pick up from the cleaners tomorrow. Would that work with a white ****, tie and I could find some shoes. The pants I have are somewhat formal so I don't know. I'll probably have to borrow the dough from my parents but they are about as poor as me. I just don't know how they would look without a coat. Plus I'm sure most of this will be indoors. More thoughts?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A peacoat is a nice, useful garment. I have one I prize, but trying to make it substitute for a suit coat or sport jacket is going to look like holy hell--just bizarre! I would concur with the advice about thrifting. I don't frequent thrift shops much, but the last one I visited has a pretty decent Brooks Brothers suit that actually fit me for $25. I didn't buy it for various reasons, but after alterations I am sure it would have made a serviceable suit. There was a scrumptious linen blazer for $15 that made me rue it was about 8 or 10 sizes too small for me.

We might be more helpful if we had some idea of what you are willing to spend. I think Target has some sport coats for about $50--nothing most of us here would be interested in, but a helluva lot more presentable than pea coat!

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got to Target and get a Merona suit for under $100.

ADH

Reaction score
****! Spend? $50 total, including shoes. I am asking for a miracle. I have pants. Hopefully I can find a coat that will match, or a nice combo. I think thrifting is my main option for now. We'll see how it goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads