• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funeral in Hawaii (Attire)

FashionIQ

Reaction score
I've searched and read the other threads.

Anyhow, my grandmother passed away this morning and her funeral is on the 23rd this month. Last time I went to a funeral, or wedding for that matter
eh.gif
, was... Well I'm pretty sure my mother was dressing me at the time. I noticed most of the reccommendations being in a black/gray/charcoal suit area and I don't own a suit. I do, however, own a lot of cardigans and sweaters if that helps. I don't know what the weather is going to be like, but I assume it will be in the low 80's and very humid (as always).

Suggestions?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FashionIQ

Anyhow, my grandmother passed away this morning and her funeral is on the 23rd this month. Last time I went to a funeral, or wedding for that matter
eh.gif
, was... Well I'm pretty sure my mother was dressing me at the time. I noticed most of the reccommendations being in a black/gray/charcoal suit area and I don't own a suit. I do, however, own a lot of cardigans and sweaters if that helps. I don't know what the weather is going to be like, but I assume it will be in the low 80's and very humid (as always).

Suggestions?

95% of the people who attend funerals here wear aloha shirts and chinos.

FashionIQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL

Recommendation on where to get the aloha shirt? Don't have any of those either.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Black lei?

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wear a dress shirt and darker colored slacks and you will be fine. Sorry about your loss.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL

Yup. Hardly anyone owns a suit in the islands. No point. Only really high up business people and foreigners ever wear them. Not even sure if the lawyers wear suits when not in court.

Recommendation on where to get the aloha shirt? Don't have any of those either.

We wore aloha shirts and chinos because that was the best dress we have. Whenever I went to one we tried to keep it somber and wear our best clothes. Somber as in don't wear a neon pink shirt. Best clothes usually means black leather shoes from payless, black slacks, and the best shirt one owns.

Long story short, wear black slacks, black shoes and a nice button down not in a flamboyant color.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

eh.gif

Suggestions?

I am sorry for your loss.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. My guess is that a pair of dress pants and dress shirt would be fine.

Albern

Reaction score
My condolences to your family.

Black linen perhaps?

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by phxlawstudent
I never heard of linen until moving to the mainland. We don't wear it in Hawaii AFAIK.

Probably wrinkles horrendously due to the humidity.

That's interesting, I didn't expect that at all.

Given the formality of the occasion I suppose the wrinkling is a bit inappropriate. In my experience though, a heavier weight doesn't seem to wrinkle as much.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Albern
That's interesting, I didn't expect that at all.

Given the formality of the occasion I suppose the wrinkling is a bit inappropriate. In my experience though, a heavier weight doesn't seem to wrinkle as much.

Well, it could also be due to the high costs of good quality linen. Cotton is much cheaper and readily available. Most of Hawaii is relatively poor due to the high cost of living.

Of course, the fact that we always wear shorts instead of pants doesn't help either. Offices are A/C'd.

But I'd imagine the humidity as being the real killer of linen in the islands. Can't remember a single person wearing linen there... And I was there for 21 years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads