Funeral Attire

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ALFAMALE, May 17, 2010.

1. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

Im attending a funeral tomarrow for a coworker that I knew quite well, and I dont own a black suit. The darkest, most formal thing I have is a dark navy sports jacket that has faint white pinstipes. I dont own a white dress shirt, but I do have a very light silvery grey brioni one, which I was planning to wear with a black tie, black pants and black dress shoes.

Ive heard mixed comments about it and ive never been to a funeral before so i dont know what to expect. Does anyone think that this is inappropriate any way?

2. Nereis

Nereis Senior member

charcoal or navy suit. no excuses.

3. landshark

landshark Senior member

How do you not have a white dress shirt?

4. ALFAMALE

ALFAMALE Senior member

How do you not have a white dress shirt?
    had one

5. WRAdvisor

WRAdvisor Senior member

Hit up the closest Marshalls, TJMaxx or store that sells white dress shirts early tomorrow and make it a point to dress appropriately. If all you have is the navy sportscoat, it'll have to do.

6. glowell222

glowell222 Senior member

Get a white dress shirt. Don't wear the black tie.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I dont see how this crap matters, what you have is fine, just fine. Nobody is going to look at you and say, my god, his shirt isnt while (although the 'how can you not have a white shirt' comment above is true).

As long as you are within the boundaries of appropriate you are fine. Dont waste energy going after the extra 10% if the occasion has nothing to do with you.

8. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Come on..no white shirt??? It really does not matter what you wear.....but get a white shirt!

9. phillyesq

phillyesq Senior member

If you have (or can acquire) a white shirt, you should wear one, but it isn't the end of the world. Wear a jacket and tie. Make the best out of what you have. It is more important that you convey your respect than that you look good. A dark suit, white shirt, and appropriate tie is ideal, but if you don't have that, try to come as close as you can with what you have.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I dont see how this crap matters, what you have is fine, just fine. Nobody is going to look at you and say, my god, his shirt isnt while
    Did you read the part about the silver shirt?

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Black suit, black captoes, white shirt, black tie, no excuses. You'll never hear me say that about anything else.

12. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Black suit, black captoes, white shirt, black tie, no excuses. You'll never hear me say that about anything else.

Not necessary.

13. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

If you have (or can acquire) a white shirt, you should wear one, but it isn't the end of the world. Wear a jacket and tie. Make the best out of what you have. It is more important that you convey your respect than that you look good. A dark suit, white shirt, and appropriate tie is ideal, but if you don't have that, try to come as close as you can with what you have.
    This. I've seen much worse at funerals.

14. bluesdance

bluesdance Well-Known Member

Word to the wise: If you're going to the grave side... and there has been rain within 24 hours... you might want to wear boots... or at least your older, more beat up black dress shoes.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Not necessary.

Necessary for me and yes, I am well aware that funeral directors moved on to dark greys and other dark but less menacing colours so as to be less depressing but still convey a sense of restraint. You won't be invited to my funeral I guess...