• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Functional Tie Bar

pandamonium

Reaction score
My neck is a little big, and when I wear thick ties some times I'm unable to pull the thin end through the tie stay. If you were to see someone walking around with a tie bar would the first thing you thought be that he watches too much Mad Men, or are they still generally considered a useful men's accessory?

Or should I just have my tailor move my tie stays up?

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do this every day for work, and have done it since before I watched Mad Men. It is incredibly useful since most of my ties don't fit in their loops. It helps too that the 4-5 tie bars I have were inherited from my grandfather, giving me even more reason to wear them. All that being said, I would never wear a tie without a tie bar again, unless I was wearing a waistcoat. Even then I occasionally put one on.

Ianiceman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have the problem that you have with the loops but I still always use a tie bar whenever I wear a tie and jacket (either sports jacket, blazer or suit).

Something about ostentatious tie bars like the fella out of 'White Collar' I find really distasteful, especially as I lie three button jackets with comparatively high button stances.

Soni always wear my tie bars lower than the buttoned jacket and they are only visible when I unbutton my jacket to sit down, thus performing the function of keeping my tie out of the soup.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as you don't wear it obnoxiously high like the dopes that wear them 2 inches below the knot, you'll be fine. They're less common then they were in the past, but still an everyday sight, and they still serve their original function of keeping the tie from flapping around.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
As long as you don't wear it obnoxiously high like the dopes that wear them 2 inches below the knot, you'll be fine. They're less common then they were in the past, but still an everyday sight, and they still serve their original function of keeping the tie from flapping around.

To a degree, however, where you place the tie bar should be dictated by how long your tie bar is. You're not going to post a 2 inch tie bar high on the tie just like you shouldn't place a 1.5 inch tie bar low.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's