• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Functional difference between pleated shirt sleeves and shirred/gathered into cuff

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, let me try again.

On a dress shirt sleeve, is there any functional difference between your usual sleeve with two pleats tucked into the cuff and the shirring or gathering or the use of many tiny pleats to fold the sleeve into the cuff? The latter is the "signature shirring" on Brooks Brothers and Turnbull & Asser shirts.

The way I understand it, there is no difference in terms of fit. However, the change in pleat style means the way the sleeve fabric falls around the cuff is different. The usual pleats are more structured and the shirring makes the fabric fall more evenly. The latter looks less formal to some, more feminine to others, and trad to still others.

I think Kabbaz also said the shirring around the cuff is easier to tailor than the pleats.

Sorry for bringing up the shoulders and memories of a clusterf*ck about pattern matching.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I prefer the pleats because they lay flatter and slimmer and thus don't have as much of a chance to bunch up and catch at the jacket cuff. The puffiness of the shirred type makes it that much more likely that the cuff will get stuck outside the jacket after a long reach, which I find annoying.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kolecho: That's interesting. Why exactly?

Yeah, I'd love to try it and see what I like. What I'm wondering is how to get the pleats without increasing the circumference of the wrist. A tailor may make the mistake of thinking you want to see pronounced pleats instead of understanding that you just want it to look and drape differently. Thus, he may make the wrist fuller and you will need a cutlass and tricorner hat.

How many small pleats do you have done?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
Kolecho: That's interesting. Why exactly?

Yeah, I'd love to try it and see what I like. What I'm wondering is how to get the pleats without increasing the circumference of the wrist. A tailor may make the mistake of thinking you want to see pronounced pleats instead of understanding that you just want it to look and drape differently. Thus, he may make the wrist fuller and you will need a cutlass and tricorner hat.

How many small pleats do you have done?

If you have a lousy shirtmaker, you will confuse them with all your verbose instructions.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, but I just realized terminology is somethimes different from tailor to tailor.

I ask about how many small pleats or gathers as I have no baseline to evaluate whether my guy does them well.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to find a good Mafoofan photo to e-mail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics