• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Function/purpose of animal skins/hides

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well in tribal areas they were simple floor coverings; the leather side it tough enough to stay in tact while rubbing on the floor and the fur is warm. They were basically a statement of awesomeness/strength, if you killed a lion or zebra (or could afford to have one killed by your staff) and put the skin on the floor instead of into clothing, then you were clearly badass.

With regard to sheepskins and the like, I would wager that it was just an early form of carpet; houses made from mud and straw tend to get cold.

Now days they are purely decorative.

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
they are carpets and meant to be walked on. sheepskins and other "hairy" skins are comfortable to sit on.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I always thought the purpose of animal skins was to keep their guts on the inside.
confused.gif

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a sheepskin that we put by the fire and the cat sits on it. It was also a good surface to put me and my sister on as babies; soft with good rolling room.

Mr. White

Reaction score
I keep a eight-sheepskin rug on my bed and use it as a cover in winter (fur side down). They're also useful in winter on leather sofas -- the leather is just too cold to the touch. Lamb's wool is hypoallergenic. Single-sheepskin rugs are bedding for infants who are too sensitive for cotton.

The other skins creep me out, though.

Annadale

Reaction score
I use four sheepskins sewn together when camping. Great insulation from the groundsheet, and it adds a certain luxe to my canvas tent. You must air it every day though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads