"Fun" socks for the office - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Flame, Jun 20, 2011.

1. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Anyone else think SF way way way overthinks things?

Anyone else think this is one of those times?

2. Patek

Patek Senior member

I don't know if they count as "fun" socks, but most of my dress socks are colored. They usually are a color play with my shirt or tie without being too matchy.

It really depends on where you work though. My workplace is business-casual and only about 20%-30% of the men wear ties or jackets to work. So, the fact that I usually wear a tie a jacket already makes me more formal than most. I feel I can get away with louder socks.

3. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Possibly nothing has been said is that, as an intern, they know they will be rid of you soon.

4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

A little color (think Paul Smith) is not a problem, weird designs or like snowmen of course is an obvious no.

5. optimator88

optimator88 Member

Have some fun with color, just nothing too crazy.

They are just socks... As was mentioned, I think this is being over thought.

6. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

It really depends on where you work though. My workplace is business-casual and only about 20%-30% of the men wear ties or jackets to work. So, the fact that I usually wear a tie a jacket already makes me more formal than most. I feel I can get away with louder socks.

+1

Really depends on the particular office.

Also worth asking this buddy exactly what his idea of 'professional' attire is. If it includes square-toed shoes, 'skinny ties' or dark/black shirts then all of his opinions on clothing should be summarily dismissed.

7. RSS

RSS Senior member

Depends on how much fun the socks are having.

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

Anyone else think SF way way way overthinks things?
    Oh yes. I also think it over-worships bespoke tailoring ... not that I plan to stop patronizing SR.

9. Azzurri

Azzurri Well-Known Member

Also worth asking this buddy exactly what his idea of 'professional' attire is. If it includes square-toed shoes, 'skinny ties' or dark/black shirts then all of his opinions on clothing should be summarily dismissed.

+1

10. RSS

RSS Senior member

So true. Not knowing how your 'buddy' dresses, we have no way to know the worth of his advice.

11. ysc

ysc Senior member

To be fair ,when I see guys with fun socks , an prat alarm bell is ringing in my head...

I know it's wrong but i'm thinking the guy is trying too hard at being different.

Wear them casually not at work.

Your prat alarm must ring quite a bit, a lot of people wear brightly coloured (that counts as 'fun' right?) socks with their suits here.
    A fair number of people I know who don't even care about their clothes, beyond looking respectable at work, and dress totally conventionally wear brightly coloured socks.

12. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Since you're an intern, you should be focussed on trying to fit in as a professional-in-training, not stretching the limits of the dress code. So don't wear fun socks. ....

Sadly, this is probably correct.

May also want to add a poal.

13. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

As far back as junior high school (and I'm in my 30s now), I've been wearing argyle socks or ones with bold or bright stripes or other patterns.

These days my wife, friends, and coworkers are more likely to comment when I'm wearing just plain brown, black, or navy socks than when I wear something brighter.

14. watchingdetails2002

watchingdetails2002 Senior member

I all depends on the office. But I wear "fun" socks as you call them all the time. I try to match them with my tie. Go for it, enjoy it.

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Your prat alarm must ring quite a bit, a lot of people wear brightly coloured (that counts as 'fun' right?) socks with their suits here.
    A fair number of people I know who don't even care about their clothes, beyond looking respectable at work, and dress totally conventionally wear brightly coloured socks.

A lot of people wear nothing else than jeans and football shirts replicas outside work , is it a good reason for me to follow that trend...

No.

I don't see that many people wearing bright coloured or novelty socks around me...

Work is work and people judge others through trivial details such as what you're wearing , your haircut and so on..