• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Fun" socks for the office - yay or nay?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they count as "fun" socks, but most of my dress socks are colored. They usually are a color play with my shirt or tie without being too matchy.

It really depends on where you work though. My workplace is business-casual and only about 20%-30% of the men wear ties or jackets to work. So, the fact that I usually wear a tie a jacket already makes me more formal than most. I feel I can get away with louder socks.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Possibly nothing has been said is that, as an intern, they know they will be rid of you soon.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little color (think Paul Smith) is not a problem, weird designs or like snowmen of course is an obvious no.

optimator88

Reaction score
Have some fun with color, just nothing too crazy.

They are just socks... As was mentioned, I think this is being over thought.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
It really depends on where you work though. My workplace is business-casual and only about 20%-30% of the men wear ties or jackets to work. So, the fact that I usually wear a tie a jacket already makes me more formal than most. I feel I can get away with louder socks.

+1

Really depends on the particular office.

Also worth asking this buddy exactly what his idea of 'professional' attire is. If it includes square-toed shoes, 'skinny ties' or dark/black shirts then all of his opinions on clothing should be summarily dismissed.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Depends on how much fun the socks are having.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
Anyone else think SF way way way overthinks things?
Oh yes. I also think it over-worships bespoke tailoring ... not that I plan to stop patronizing SR.

Azzurri

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Also worth asking this buddy exactly what his idea of 'professional' attire is. If it includes square-toed shoes, 'skinny ties' or dark/black shirts then all of his opinions on clothing should be summarily dismissed.

+1

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
So true. Not knowing how your 'buddy' dresses, we have no way to know the worth of his advice.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
To be fair ,when I see guys with fun socks , an prat alarm bell is ringing in my head...

I know it's wrong but i'm thinking the guy is trying too hard at being different.

Wear them casually not at work.

Your prat alarm must ring quite a bit, a lot of people wear brightly coloured (that counts as 'fun' right?) socks with their suits here.
A fair number of people I know who don't even care about their clothes, beyond looking respectable at work, and dress totally conventionally wear brightly coloured socks.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan
Since you're an intern, you should be focussed on trying to fit in as a professional-in-training, not stretching the limits of the dress code. So don't wear fun socks. ....

Sadly, this is probably correct.

May also want to add a poal.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far back as junior high school (and I'm in my 30s now), I've been wearing argyle socks or ones with bold or bright stripes or other patterns.

These days my wife, friends, and coworkers are more likely to comment when I'm wearing just plain brown, black, or navy socks than when I wear something brighter.

watchingdetails2002

Reaction score
I all depends on the office. But I wear "fun" socks as you call them all the time. I try to match them with my tie. Go for it, enjoy it.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysc
Your prat alarm must ring quite a bit, a lot of people wear brightly coloured (that counts as 'fun' right?) socks with their suits here.
A fair number of people I know who don't even care about their clothes, beyond looking respectable at work, and dress totally conventionally wear brightly coloured socks.

A lot of people wear nothing else than jeans and football shirts replicas outside work , is it a good reason for me to follow that trend...

No.

I don't see that many people wearing bright coloured or novelty socks around me...

Work is work and people judge others through trivial details such as what you're wearing , your haircut and so on..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads