Fun car for <15K?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by jakejake, May 4, 2010.

1. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

sf-where you ask for a 15k car and members suggest mercedes, beemers and other cars out of the range by 10-15k

2. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

You can get a 2010 Mustang from Avis with 10k miles on it for $12,000.

3. jakejake

jakejake Senior member

Lol... endless possibilities.

4. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

sf-where you ask for a 15k car and members suggest mercedes, beemers and other cars out of the range by 10-15k
    It's the logical extension after people suggest Vass when posters ask for sub $300 shoes.

5. mink31

mink31 Senior member

You can get a previous-gen Mazda3 hatchback with good mileage for under $10k.

Practical and fun to drive, with plenty of performance mod options if you so desire...

6. otc

otc Senior member

You can get a 2010 Mustang from Avis with 10k miles on it for $12,000.

and everyone one of those 10k miles was driven by some jackass who thought it would be the most awesome shit since square toed shoes to rent a mustang and floor it off every stop

stay far far away from rental returns unless you really know what you are getting in to.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Used Mini Cooper.

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Meh, that happens often on SF, but not here. Used BMW E36 3-series in good condition are easily found for $6-7k and the newer E46s for $11-13k. At those prices, he'd have cash left over to overhaul any items that are likely to need replacement and he'd likely be set on maintenance for 50-75k miles. In that price range, there are few practical cars that are as fun to drive as a well-maintained 3-series.

9. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I would definitely skip used sports car unless you know what you're buying exactly. The previous owner usually beat it up pretty well..., so unless you know the guy is a poser, stay away from high mile Corvette...

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I would definitely skip used sports car unless you know what you're buying exactly. The previous owner usually beat it up pretty well..., so unless you know the guy is a poser, stay away from high mile Corvette...
    Driving a car hard is not the same as beating it up. Given equal total mileages, I'd rather buy a used car that was driven by an "enthusiast" than one driven by a little old lady for repeated 25mph trips to the grocery store and the pharmacy.

11. dagman1

dagman1 Well-Known Member

People may scoff at this idea, but I'd say go for a later model Miata, although make sure it's standard. It has a small engine with only about 140hp, but is a really light car that is perfectly balanced. The handling is great and if you want it to step out, you can do it and do it predictably and reliably. The gearbox is also feels real, real nice. Likely you can find one driven by an older lady that has barely seen halfway to the red-line.

It gets a bad rap for being a girly car, but it's a nice drive and an especially good price.

12. uvmboi13

uvmboi13 Senior member

Mini Cooper ftw. Unless you are super old...Then it'll look weird.

13. Staver

Staver Senior member

Twin turbo 93'-95' Mazda RX-7.

14. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

15,000 could get you further than you'd think at some of the Ebay/Kruse auctions as well.

When I thought I was going to be living w/ my parents for a while and as a result would have around $1000 spare a month I was looking into buying a galaxie 500... I knew a guy who hauled cars for folks after the larger auctions Kruse held (scottsdale,auburn,etc). Anyhow, I had him pick up a couple of the results books (which you can occasionally find copies of online for free or cheap) to parouse. You can follow most of the auctions online, or pay a 'proxy' to bid for you IIRC.

I was 19, so its been 5-6 years some of the details are spotty but...

Each of the yearbooks I had (like 03-07) atleast 20 galaxie 500's sold for around 16,000 a piece... these were collector cars so they were in fine running order, had very little (if any) cosmetic damage, and mostly original parts. Many were higher mileage for 'collector' cars, but even still 'high' is lower than what you'd find at a used dealership. Also, cars that old aren't quite as hard to work on yourself, A chilton manual would walk you through it step by step.

That's my idea of fun, and would be closer to your budget than some of the other cars mentioned.

good luck, keep us posted on what you decide.

15. epb

epb Senior member

Your average Mustang, or Camaro has a much harder life than most 2-seat sports cars - most cars sit a lot of the time, waiting for the owner to hit that combination of nice weather, decent roads and free time; typical mileage is 5000-7500 miles a year, and fewer than 10% of most see any track time (especially convertibles, which are all but banned on tracks these days). It would be tougher to find a high-mile Corvette than a low-mile one.