• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fully Canvassed BrooksCool Regent Suits

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
These suits were definitely not GF quality. Just because they are full canvas doesn't mean that they stack-up to GF in other aspects of construction.

I picked up an 1818 that is fully canvassed (link below). All the ones I have seen are either made in China or Thailand. Not sure which are supposed to be higher quality if at all.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

waarior

Reaction score
Isn't that the point. Consumers demand "high quality" features, in this case full canvas construction, because...well thats what they heard is thee defining feature of "high quality."

Only way to provide it at this point is to outsource.

So no one buys the 1818 'cause its only 1/2 canvassed (despite being Made in USA/Italy), because of the cheaper 'full canvass' (and full canvas means its better, end of story!) alternatives which leads to additional outsourcing........

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
I picked up an 1818 that is fully canvassed (link below). All the ones I have seen are either made in China or Thailand. Not sure which are supposed to be higher quality if at all.

Didn't see this one, but glad somebody validated my claim!!

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster

you mean sportscoat. 1818 suit are made in Italy while 1818 sports coat are mostly made in Thailand (not all of them though)

Roger Everett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
you mean sportscoat. 1818 suit are made in Italy while 1818 sports coat are mostly made in Thailand (not all of them though)

Brooks, like most all clothiers, get their suits and SC made in many areas, most likely depending on price. I have an 1818 SC ( bought this year ), which is fully canvased and has a sewn in tag that says " union made in USA ".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads