• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full wardrobe makeover need lots of advice! :)

WorldTraveller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by netovargas90
This is a stupid thread. You write a novel about what you're buying and tell us you need lots of advice but when given any advice you shut it down. It's not advice but validation you seek, and its obviously not being given to you since what you want to do does not exactly align well with the overall approach of most forum members to clothing.

Not so sure I view it the same way, I was kind of looking for advice on style decisions but other than a handful of very thoughtful ideas about color (thanks!) I'm getting feedback about the purchasing plan itself, which, while also helpful, isn't quite what I was after when I started the thread. I do appreciate the feedback of all types though.

WorldTraveller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I think the "cheapest is best for now" mentality is a false economy... From what I understand, Chan (for example) are talented tailors, and should be able to produce some classically styled pieces that won't be disasters. If you have a good tailor, you really don't need to expend that much effort with direction & instructions. You're more likely to produce is disaster with a lower-end tailor who is just trying to please, and responding to your perhaps less than expert directions on styling, fit...

great food for thought. Thanks. totally agree that my directions are less than expert. lol

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 6'8" you're limited to RTW brands that stock LT or XL in suit lengths. Same for shirts. You may do well to go the MTO route if your finances permit. I would start off with 2 suits, one solid navy and one in a gray (anything but very light gray) and about 5 shirts.

I would allot a big chunk of my budget for shoes. Also, have a look at the TM Lewin site, they offer shirts with spread collars, no chest pocket and FCs in 38" sleeve lengths.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WorldTraveller
great food for thought. Thanks. totally agree that my directions are less than expert. lol
I didn't mean this as a criticism. I just think that if you find the right tailor, there's no real need to micromanage them. I suspect - with their wealth of experience - Chan would be in this category. Re: stylistic advice or input. You may want to consider single pleat as an alternative to double pleats. Will you be making up your suits with belt loops or with side adjustors? I tend to prefer my odd trousers with belt loops, but have all my suit trousers made up with side adjustors...They give your suit an overall cleaner, more stream-lined look... With regard to buttoning point, if you're happy with your 2-button suits, why not stick to that? You may also consider 3-roll-2 as an alternative. 3 button coats can also look good, but I personally prefer showing a bit more shirt, so personally tend to opt for 3-roll-2 or 1-button configurations in my commissions. Why not have a mix of jetted versus flapped pockets, to give yourself a range of formality in your suits... This decision could be made depending on fabric colour and pattern. Lastly re: fabric choice. In addition to stripes and patterns, why not consider fabrics like flannels, birdseye, pick-and-pick, or sharkskin?

WorldTraveller

Reaction score
Thanks again. Given some of the feedback, I went back and did a little more research before coming back here.

I love the idea of beltless suit pants as well as single pleat and have began trying out a few pairs.

For the pockets, I was thinking the flapped/jetted ones that convert (not sure the name off hand, but they are jetted when the flap is tucked in, but the flap can be taken out as well for a different look in the same suit).

Looking at some more casual fabrics / color combos as well based on your advice. Great stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads