• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Length Trench Coats - How Long?

etb

Reaction score
Just bought a nice used trench (my first) that might need shortening.

Is 3" below the knee too long? I'm thinking that the optimal length is bottom-of-knee (similar to attached picture) but would appreciate your thoughts.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Anything between barely covering your ass to nearly dragging on the ground is acceptable, it's largely a function of personal preference if you ask me.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For heavy rains combined with strong winds, the longer the coat the better.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Disagree that any length will do. Like women's skirts, preferred length vary with fashion. These days, shorter trench coats are in. That is, they should end at your knee or a little above. In times past, longer was better, and no doubt the cycle will come around again.

A lot depends on the other elements of the coat, though. If you have large Burberry-style lapels, I'd avoid cutting the length too short. The proportions won't be right. Also, if the trench has a liner, it may be almost impossible to shorten it anyway and still have it look right.

See a good tailor, I guess, and get their advice.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^I prefer function over fashion. A longer coat on wet and windy days provides greater protection. After all, it is a rain coat.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't like the Marlboro-man-slash-flasher long raincoats - I prefer them on the shorter side (at or just below the knee).

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I prefer longer coats as well and I'm pretty sure both my overcoat and my raincoat go a few inches below the knee. But I'm 6'3" so its fine. I would say it all depends on how tall you are and what style you prefer.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At about 5'6" I don't really have a choice; most regular trenches fall quite low on me. But actually, I quite like that, as it keeps more of the trouser leg dry.

I think it's a personal preference thing, to be honest.

theEnd

Reaction score
Related question:

At around $1500 bucks a pop (and no sign of any sales/discounts), is one of the 'made in England' Burburry trenches (made out of raglan/garbadine) worth it?

I tried one on last weekend and it is clearly a cut above any other trench I have seen (JCrew, BB, RL, even a Brioni).

Just looking for some confidence to make the purchase.

Endeavour

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theEnd
Related question:

At around $1500 bucks a pop (and no sign of any sales/discounts), is one of the 'made in England' Burburry trenches (made out of raglan/garbadine) worth it?

I tried one on last weekend and it is clearly a cut above any other trench I have seen (JCrew, BB, RL, even a Brioni).

Just looking for some confidence to make the purchase.

I have one of the older 'Burberry's" labeled coats and couldn't be happier with it. The fabric is unlike any other cotton gabardine I've seen. Mine has been in the family for years and shows almost no signs of age. With the lining, I wear it pretty much fall through spring without any complaints. That being said, I'm not sure if there has been a quality change with the new ones, and the relaxed fit is not for everyone.

theEnd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Endeavour
I have one of the older 'Burberry's" labeled coats and couldn't be happier with it. The fabric is unlike any other cotton gabardine I've seen. Mine has been in the family for years and shows almost no signs of age. With the lining, I wear it pretty much fall through spring without any complaints. That being said, I'm not sure if there has been a quality change with the new ones, and the relaxed fit is not for everyone.

Thanks for the review. I've experienced Montreal winters, so that's really saying something about the warmth of the coat. I'm also considering one with a removable wool lining. Should serve me well here in NYC.

Amiens

Reaction score
The coat's skirt should be below the knee, but not so long as to hobble you. You should be able to comfortably stride out whilst wearing it; it is a practical garment after all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads