• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full cut pants

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I was looking at a pair of pleated, full cut pants the other day and just wondered what the consensus was about this style?

I don't have a picture, but they were very urban-style, NBA player getting off of the plane look if you can imagine.

Bradford

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm not keen on that look, personally. i like flat (plain) front trousers. either vertical or horizontal pockets, depending on the situation.

the multi-pleats look a little...(no offense)...slick? like the guy in the marketing department who wears italian suits of almost zoot-suit proportions, while the rest of the company, um, doesn't.

/andrew - has cleared his closet of pleats

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I don't mind pleats -- indeed, I have been coming around to the view the last month that pleats look more classic and gentlemanly (though I look perfectly good in flat front pants) -- I can't say I am a fan of the full cut. I had a suit with pleated pants where the rise was very long, and yet not meant to be worn high-waisted, and were cut very full in the legs. Looked awful with the jacket, which was much slimmer. I sold the suit on Ebay.

Phil

Reaction score
I think it comes down to two details - the rise, and the leg opening down by the ankle. Once you start getting into pants that hang very low, with a long rise, but sit low on the hips (as johnnynorman said), and have tapered ankles but billowing material in the legs, then you are into zoot suit, NBA player style. However, pants with a long rise, which are meant to sit high on the waist, with a non tapered ankle are very 1930s classic style. They were called "bags", and were very popular back then. The bottom leg opening was often as wide as 22 inches, which is much wider than today's trousers. Not for everyone, but I think they have a certain appeal.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the fuller-cut trousers with form-fitted db suit jacket look. That having been said, I would only wear fuller-cut trousers if they were made of substantial material that wouldn't flap around annoyingly when I would walk in them.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I personally cannot stand full-cut trousers - the slimmer, the better, the way I see it. It frustrates me greatly to see fashion designers with runways full of baggy trousers. Have you guys seen the Emporio Armani designs (F/W 2004 I think)? It's like a circus, its some of the ugliest stuff I've ever seen.

Brian SD

Reaction score
ear001.jpg
There is a sample for you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Full legged trousers can look pretty good (check out John Varvatos' first collection.) They worked because they were 1) cut *very* slightly tapered - really closer to being straight legged, 2) flat front, which makes the look cleaner, and 3) substantial material (tweed, wool flannel or corduroy) to give body and weight, unlike those Emporio Armani pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads