• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Canvas Italian Midnight Navy Suit Recs

westlachill

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new here and registered because I'm desperately searching for my grail suit and am trying to obtain it without breaking the bank.

It's essentially this one from Kiton (https://www.shopthefinest.com/products/kiton-midnight-navy-blue-suit <- they don't have my size, sadly) or the Madison by Brioni (https://www.brioni.com/us/shop-product/men/suits-jackets_cod49241079ba.html). I feel like both Kiton and Brioni retail are overpriced for this, but it's also impossibly hard to find full canvas navy suits that are quite this dark in a luxury fabric elsewhere.

Canali used to have one that was perfect at around $3K, though they seem to have discontinued it. I'm not opposed to MTM (bespoke shouldn't be necessary) if anyone has a good recommendation in LA or NYC.

I have a fairly wide budget. I'm just trying to be mindful about price-value because paying for overpriced products tends to eat away at me.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spier and Mackay

Berg and berg will probably release something soon. Or look at sartoria cararra at no man walks alone.

I have a navy full canvas from Spier and it is pretty nice. People who have higher quality pieces would be able to give better input on the differences in quality between that tier and higher end clothing though.

That being said, the navy neapolitan is definitely not a midnight blue.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suits you post are not really equivalent other than both are blue.
The Kiton looks quite Neapolitan with natural shoulders while the
Brioni is narrow-lapeled "contempo" Not that it matters, but Shop
the finest carries some very old merchandise. New, but from seasons
past. I just checked a sport coat that I have been looking at going on
ten years. PM me for details. So they may be over priced relative to
other web vendors. That said, I have bought from them and am satisfied.

Last edited:

corpseposeur

Reaction score
When you say an "Italian" suit--do you mean a suit styled in different areas in Italy or like a retailer like the names you suggested? As a personally guideline, mass market RTW that costs $3K+ is crossing into bespoke prices and that doesn't make sense to me.

I've found the site Permanent Style to be a wealth of information on Italian tailoring, there are various styles depending on the region ex. Florence, Naples, Rome, Milan, all have great traditions.

My favorite Italian tailoring house is Liverano in Florence. I recently bought a RTW overcoat and while it wasn't a bespoke piece, it certainly feels like a bespoke piece in terms of quality.

If I was looking for a suit that was 100% worth the money I'd look at something like this Liverano midnight blue
Perennial_Giacca_2_1.jpg

If you're in New York, Sartoria Vestrucci is another Florentine tailoring style has an outpost at Stefano Bemer's store in Manhattan. They're a bit on the pricier side at $3K+ but from what I understand the quality of the RTW or MTO is superlative.

If you're into a more unstructured Neopolitan look Orazio Luciano has some beauties.

Orazio Luciano fresco suit
T3593_1_1000x.jpg

Rubinacci is another big name from Naples, but their style is not as much to my taste.

While I've only dealt with Liverano, I am sure with any of these tailoring houses will provide a good suit.

kevinsvindland

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The best neapolitan RTW in my opinion is Cesare Attolini. Though on the pricy end, not as pricy as Kiton. Swing by their Madison Avenue store and have a look.

Orazio Luciano is also as mentioned above a good one. I particularly like the combination of Orazio Jacket and Ambrosi Trousers.

Ring Jacket is also nice, though not made in Osaka, their style is very similar to many neapolitans.
Available at The Armoury in NYC

I am certainly a bit biased, but as it was mentioned in the comments above, I will take the liberty to include a picture from our collection.
This one is the darkest navy in the Cavour lineup this season.

large-17.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buying tailored clothing is not like buying a TV or smartphone where you look mostly at factors intrinsic to the item (specifications). By far the most important factors about buying a suit are (1) does it fit you and (2) do you like the styling/does it flatter your build. These cannot be discerned without actually trying on the suit. Unless you actually have knowledge of how a given maker's suits actually fit you (bearing in mind that many RTW makers actually have different suit patterns, so not all Isaia/Corneliani/Canali/Caruso/etc suits fit the same for the same marked size), buying suits without having tried them on is literally playing the lottery.

If you have access to NYC/LA stores, I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to try suits on in person.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another “ I want the best and with specific requirements but I want it on the cheap.”

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if you end up going MTM/bespoke, knowing what looks good on you will greatly improve the likelihood that you’ll end up with something you like.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
Even if you end up going MTM/bespoke, knowing what looks good on you will greatly improve the likelihood that you’ll end up with something you like.

if you were to do this, check out eBay to experiment.

I placed an order for my first bespoke order in December 2019 and I went with a very soft dark 13oz. solid navy in a wool twill worsted from Huddersfield fine worsted.

While COVID has prevented any fittings I’m very confident with that conservative choice as I can wear it to any situation and it’s my idea of a grail suit.

If you’re still experimenting definitely try some MTM from the lower cost options like Spier and Mackaye or other RTW.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads