• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Body Workout Recommendation

DeadDJ

Reaction score
There are about 1,413 full/total body workouts and I have no idea what to choose. I was hoping someone here knew of a good program or at least some guidelines. If you have questions about this type of program feel free to make this a general thread.

Not looking to bulk at all, just lose about 5lbs of fat, tone, and not embarrass myself if someone needs help moving. I'm realistic about my goals and I'll maintain a decent diet to go with it. I'll have a fitness center with quite a few machines, dumbbells but no other free weights, and squat/bench machine.

-3 days a week, M/W/F.
-I'm planning on elliptical cardio T/TH. Most plans say light, would it be stupid to try HIIT? Can't run due to knee issues.
-I've seen plans for low rep w/ high weight and high rep w/ low weight. A friend who lifts told me low/rep high weight was best for low bulk but he does splits. Recommendation?
-How much time between each set?
-Pre and post meals that vital?

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Thanks for the links.
Originally Posted by closetmess
Read. Then ask questions. - Gandhi
I was looking for information specific to Full/total body training did a search, and found nothing. I've done split day training, I keep track of my lifting, and I know basic eating rules. I'm was asking for advice specific to that training and if anyone had a plan. That one thread still doesn't address a few things I'd like to know (HIIT+Full body = too stressful? And I didn't ask just for eating advice, I've got that handled, I asked if pre/post meals were vital to full body). I started the thread because I knew it's a big topic in exercise but I knew relatively little about it and saw there's wasn't a dedicated thread. So you can take your quote and **** off.

virus646

Reaction score
I started out training with this routine : http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 which focus on compound movements and is the same program every day. I then moved on a typical starting strength program when I felt it didn't fit my goals anymore. Keep in mind, I sticked on the program for 3-6 months, don't even think of changing before at least 4-6 weeks of good training on a program. And yes, Jarude's thread will answer most of your questions so read read and reread. PS: I linked a BB.com thread and there's only so much threads worth reading, don't stick around too much on that forum or you'll just start following ''bro science''.

BYucko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kill the DJ
There are about 1,413 full/total body workouts and I have no idea what to choose. I was hoping someone here knew of a good program or at least some guidelines. If you have questions about this type of program feel free to make this a general thread.

Not looking to bulk at all, just lose about 5lbs of fat, tone, and not embarrass myself if someone needs help moving. I'm realistic about my goals and I'll maintain a decent diet to go with it. I'll have a fitness center with quite a few machines, barbells but no other free weights, and squat/bench machine.

-3 days a week, M/W/F.
-I'm planning on elliptical cardio T/TH. Most plans say light, would it be stupid to try HIIT? Can't run due to knee issues.
-I've seen plans for low rep w/ high weight and high rep w/ low weight. A friend who lifts told me low/rep high weight was best for low bulk but he does splits. Recommendation?
-How much time between each set?
-Pre and post meals that vital?

So you first identify your goals:
gain a bit of lean muscle
strength

For a 3day/week program, I'd recommend Rippetoe's Starting Strength. You can Google it up if you want. Definitely challenging, activates most muscles, and finally, strengthens the sh** out of you. The workouts are short as well.
HIIT is a very goal-specific cardio program which lets the person burn calories as s/he sits. However, since it seems like you're just starting out, I'd put it off till later - build up a strong heart first so when you actually go into HIIT, then you will have a strong base/cardio foundation.
Low rep/High weight is best for muscle strength and size. If you're up in the 12+ reps, then you are working more for endurance (see: MMA fighters). So do what your goals want you to do. I think you're looking to do low rep/high weight.
Time between sets depends if you're an ecto/meso/endo. Most people take about 1.5 minutes, but I sometimes take 2-3 since I'm an ecto and my CNS needs some more time to recover between sets.
Pre I'd have something light, with carbs. Oats are always good, some people have tuna, or an apple. You may also want to consider a preworkout stimulant somewhere down the road (Jack3d, 1 More Rep, White Flood).
Post-workout you want fast-absorbing whey protein and simple carbs to replenish energy stores. I have a whey protein shake with a banana/oats. You can also just take full-on supps like a weight gainer (which has protein, fats and carbs) or something like Golden Gains.

Don't forget a multivitamin and fish oil everyday! Good luck.

Dexx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shanker
Try circuit training:

I was to post the same. It is a great cardio workout too.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kettlebells

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
kettlebells

+1

Not only is it full body, but it's also a lot of fun to work out with them. I really enjoy it.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go starting strength first. Throw in some short high intensity once or twice a week. Rippetoe's book is excellent, but try and get a bit of coaching on the lifts to start with to make sure your form is solid.

Do this for a while, and then figure out where you want to go next - you will be in good shape to go on to kettlebells, crossfit, O-lifting, whatever. Or just continue the SS workouts until you completely run out of gains (which should take a long, long time). But having that baseline combination of strength and high intensity fitness will set you up pretty well for whatever.

I think high intensity work beats steady-state work entirely - so I'd probably skip the elliptical stuff to use that time more effectively.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by akatsuki
I'd go starting strength first. Throw in some short high intensity once or twice a week. Rippetoe's book is excellent, but try and get a bit of coaching on the lifts to start with to make sure your form is solid.

Do this for a while, and then figure out where you want to go next - you will be in good shape to go on to kettlebells, crossfit, O-lifting, whatever. Or just continue the SS workouts until you completely run out of gains (which should take a long, long time). But having that baseline combination of strength and high intensity fitness will set you up pretty well for whatever.

I think high intensity work beats steady-state work entirely - so I'd probably skip the elliptical stuff to use that time more effectively.

yeahh boi

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Heh, three guys upping Rippetoe, good timing. I was discussing with a friend of mine who has been lifting for a while and he suggested that, since I'm just restarting and my fitness center lacks a barbell+free plates (I misspoke on my first post) but has a lot of machines, I should go with Rippetoe or doggcrapp. If Rippetoe, do as many dumbbell exercises as possible until maxed on them. If DC, machines would be fine or maybe better since my form is definitely going to be off. Either way, then join a gym with adequate facilities.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there's zero barbells, try this instead. Its ironaddicts simple power-based routine. It'll work better with dumbbells since Rippetoe has specifically raged against DBs for SS. Not having a BB for squats and deadlifts blows, since that's really the core of any strength program, but like you said you're getting a new gym so that's all good. this should be good for now

Monday
Squat or box squat 2-3 x 5 - squat with the heaviest DB's you can?
Glute/Ham Raises or pullthroughs 3 x 10
DB row or chest supported row 4 x 6
Dumbbell Curl 3 x 8
Calf Raises 3 x 15

Wednesday
DB bench press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8
Skull Crushers/tricep exercise of choice 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10

Friday
Deadlift or rack deadlift 2-3 x 5 - try doing DB stiff-leg deadlifts or DB romanian deads, DB deficit deads... make it as hard as you can
Leg press 2 x 10
Chinup or lat pull-down 4 x 6
Dumbbell Curl variation 3 x 8
Seated Calf Raises 3 x 15

Monday
Incline Dumbbell Press 3 x 5, or 3 x 3
Dumbbell Bench Press 4 x 8
Dumbbell Shoulder Press or delt move variation - lat raise, upright row, etc 3 x 8
Tricep pushdowns 3 x 10
Ab work 3 x 10

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics