1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fugliest Cars

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by acidboy, Aug 8, 2006.

1. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

The other car thread got me thinking about the ugliest vehicles around....

you guys probably havent seen these babies in your local showrooms

the ssangyong rodius/stavic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the ssangyong kyron
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the toyota yaris verso
    [​IMG]

the 1989 daihatsu sneaker
    [​IMG]

and of course, who would ever forget the aztec
    [​IMG]

2. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

The Excalibur is both fugly and tasteless.

3. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i would of course sell my liver for either the aston or the alfa.

4. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

Daimler SP 250 "Dart". Supposedly an exceedingly good sports car, but the looks...[​IMG]

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I hate the looks of the Buick Grand Am, and I hate their drivers who, 9 times out of 10, speed.

6. otterhound

otterhound Senior member

7. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

MC Pacer: the bay window of automobiles.

8. DNW

DNW Senior member

[​IMG]

The nose has an Enzo-esque quality to it. I wonder if this is where Ferrari got their inspiration. [​IMG]

9. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

The nose has an Enzo-esque quality to it. I wonder if this is where Ferrari got their inspiration. [​IMG]

LOL!

+1 on Excalibur (MAJOR agreement on tastelessness)
    Sa we are kicking Ssangyong, let me kick their side now that they are down:
    The Musso. Ok, not SO ugly but so damn uninspired it hurts

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

LOL!

+1 on Excalibur (MAJOR agreement on tastelessness)
    Sa we are kicking Ssangyong, let me kick their side now that they are down:
    The Musso. Ok, not SO ugly but so damn uninspired it hurts

To quote Jeremy Clarkson:

"It is a moose"

Jon.

11. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

AMC Pacer: the bay window of automobiles.

I'm not sure which was fuglier, the AMC Pacer or the AMC Gremlin. The Pontiac Aztec is right up there.

12. j

j Senior member Admin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nicest example I've seen:
    [​IMG]

Along with pretty much every Saturn... the headlights/running lights being crosseyed has never, ever been cool and should have been stopped long ago:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But without the attractive bodywork...

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Ssangyong musso:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jon.

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Ssangyong musso:

http://www.4wd.ru/images/car/cobra/s...o/musso_01.jpg

[​IMG]

Jon.

Thanks, that's the one!

And now, for two different things. One bad one good (or at least iclunkily charming):

Good example of Russian/Soviet tough workhorse - the Lada Riva:
    [​IMG]

BAD example of Russian/Soviet tough workhorse - the Lada Samara:
    [​IMG]

I had seen back home some "special" I think Group N specific Samara with a really garish bodykit, wish I could find a photo.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]
    There used to be a really tacky wood-effect body kit you could get with that car. I still think this is very hideous. It will never be a future classic. [​IMG] I also find numerous Japanese cars quite ugly.

16. Nantucket Red

There used to be a really tacky wood-effect body kit you could get with that car.

My mother once had a Chevette that came with fake wood decals. It was not only extremely ugly, but was also horribly engineered.

I still think this is very hideous. It will never be a future classic.

[​IMG]

I also find numerous Japanese cars quite ugly.

As usual, we're in complete agreement. Rolls-Royce's obstinate retention of that graceless square chrome radiator cowl completely precludes the possibility of achieving a tasteful design. Add the square, recessed headlights that look like they belong on another car and the round running lights (?) that look like yet another afterthought, not to mention the perfunctory bumper and, well, the result speaks for itself. When I first saw this, I thought someone had done a very good Photoshop spoof of a Rolls.

The past two nights, I've seen the ugliest Japanese car ever in the form of a taxi that is a hideously misconceived imitation of a vintage Rolls/Jaguar style design, complete with a cheezy, low-rent Flying Lady wannabe hood ornament. It reminds me of those vile Rolls-Royce hoods made for Volkswagen beetles years ago, but worse. The overall effect is that of an ailing bloodhound.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

My mother once had a Chevette that came with fake wood decals. It was not only extremely ugly, but was also horribly engineered. As usual, we're in complete agreement. Rolls-Royce's obstinate retention of that graceless square chrome radiator cowl completely precludes the possibility of achieving a tasteful design. Add the square, recessed headlights that look like they belong on another car and the round running lights (?) that look like yet another afterthought, not to mention the perfunctory bumper and, well, the result speaks for itself. When I first saw this, I thought someone had done a very good Photoshop spoof of a Rolls. The past two nights, I've seen the ugliest Japanese car ever in the form of a taxi that is a hideously misconceived imitation of a vintage Rolls/Jaguar style design, complete with a cheezy, low-rent Flying Lady wannabe hood ornament. It reminds me of those vile Rolls-Royce hoods made for Volkswagen beetles years ago, but worse. The overall effect is that of an ailing bloodhound.
    The Rolls Royce is like the bastard of the family. Was that an actual production vehicle or one of those dastardly modifications that are somewhat rare but still out there? I happen to think some of the post-war Stutz cars are not pretty at all: [​IMG]

18. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

The AMC Matador, a masterpeice of mis -proportion!

Its animal counterpart: the tadpole

19. Nantucket Red

The Rolls Royce is like the bastard of the family.

The one about whom everyone is too discreet to mention the inconvenient truth.

Was that an actual production vehicle or one of those dastardly modifications that are somewhat rare but still out there?

It looked like a production car to me, though it had the air of one of those hideous modifications. Neither are terribly rare in Japan.

I happen to think some of the post-war Stutz cars are not pretty at all:

[​IMG]

The one time I actually saw one of those Stutz abortions in a showroom, I also saw a similarly vile waste of resources that I believe was called the Packard Blackhawk. That one in particular caused me an acute aesthetic malaise from which I did not soon recover.

20. Nantucket Red

The AMC Matador, a masterpeice of mis -proportion!

Its animal counterpart: the tadpole

Good lord, if that's not a blast from the past! I'd forgotten about that one. As I recall, it was roughly contemporaneous with the glorious DeTomasso Pantera marketed by Ford. I only saw two or three Panteras in the flesh, but I seem to remember that Matadors were plentiful. Further proof that you can never underestimate the tastes of the American consumer.