• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FT Article: Britain's Regional Tailors

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Dude in the pic looks like Ed Koch.

By this standard, DeBoise and Mahon are regional tailors, no?

As would be the MA&SEBTâ„¢.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
By this standard, DeBoise and Mahon are regional tailors, no?

I dunno. Don't Mahon and Steed do the majority of their business in London + United States? I imagine tailors like Johnston, Redmayne, Golding etc. derive the majority of their revenues from local customers.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I dunno. Don't Mahon and Steed do the majority of their business in London + United States? I imagine tailors like Johnston, Redmayne, Golding etc. derive the majority of their revenues from local customers.
Both, Mahon and Deboise are regional tailors. Deboise is based in Carlisle and Mahon is close by. Carlisle is about a far away from London as you can get in England. I'm surprised there are only that many, I though there were a few more, some have probably retired or have passed away since I last enquired.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Don't Mahon and Steed do the majority of their business in London + United States?

Even shortly after he opened up the retail shop in Carlisle, 85% of Edwin's business was in America. I'm not sure what the mix is these days given that his MTM business is also good. All I know for sure is that he is busier today than I can recall.

Note that today, as presaged in the old article ending this post, the location in which Tom and he started Steed at 9 SR is kaput. Edwin sees clients in London now at Chittleborough & Morgan...

3263256403_ef01e1e665.jpg

...downstairs at 12 SR. Some of you will know that C&M incorporates Nutters via Joe Morgan (Edwin was at Nutters when Sexton was still there) and that C&M is tied with Castle Tailors in the City. Edwin's brother John is a cutter both out of Castle and C&M.

It seems to be a small world, Cumbria outposts notwithstanding.

- B

An old article:

Savile Row – just off Shaddongate
The Cumberland News

Published Friday, 17 December 2004

By Stephen Meredith

THERE’S no running water, no toilet and the front door doesn’t open without a good shove – but for tailor Edwin DeBoise his new shop on Carlisle’s Junction Street is a cut above Savile Row.

The 42-year-old now prefers to spend his time pondering the latest look on the catwalk while glancing out the front window of the former TV repair shop rather than measuring the inside leg of London’s great and good in his Savile Row shop.

Just opposite the city’s Post Office depot in a small terraced house bespoke tailors Steed – named after well-dressed Avengers star John Steed – is preparing themselves for an influx of passing trade.

No chance you may think, but right next door the transformation of one of Carlisle’s best-known landmarks – Shaddon Mill – is being turned into luxury apartments with a six-figure price tag.

Mr DeBoise, who regularly travels to New York and Chicago to cut suits for the American upper crust, prefers to stay away from his number 9 Savile Row shop if at all possible. He hopes Carlisle’s solicitors and managing directors may just fancy one of his £1,800 three-piece suits or two-piece garments at a respectable £545 as they leave their plush new apartments and head into the city for a day’s work.

Mr DeBoise purchased the premises, which used to be a tailor’s shop many years ago, with former hairdresser Heather Cowperthwaite. She is launching a line of Steed tailoring for women, with suits priced in the region of £600.

Mr DeBoise, who in the past has cut suits for the Prince of Wales, has owned his shop on Savile Row for nearly a decade but lived in the village of Southwaite for just as long after opening another branch of Steed in Warwick-on-Eden. His new premises on Junction Street opened last week after he decided a city centre location could be good for business.

“Around 85 per cent of my business is now in America,” said Mr DeBoise. “I’m firmly based in Cumbria though and plan to go the Savile Row premises once every three weeks. But if I don’t have to I’d much prefer to stay here. It’s more relaxing.

“There’s a little more to do in our new premises – we’re still without a toilet and running water – but we’re open and settling in well.

While Mr Deboise meets, greets, designs, measures, cuts and re-measures suits for customers, Ron Hardy, who has worked for Steed for seven years, can be found in an upstairs room in the premises busy making their unique creations come to life.

But your suit ordered in Cumbria could just as easily be made on Savile Row as Mr DeBoise regularly sends orders to his London base. The majority of female orders will also be made in London.

For more information on Steed call 01228 599555 or visit www.steed.co.uk

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
Both, Mahon and Deboise are regional tailors. Deboise is based in Carlisle and Mahon is close by. Carlisle is about a far away from London as you can get in England.

Yes - I know, but my pt didn't have to do with their physical location, but rather the fact that the vast majority of their customers (their "business" if you will) are based in London or the U.S.

sellahi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Even shortly after he opened up the retail shop in Carlisle, 85% of Edwin's business was in America. I'm not sure what the mix is these days given that his MTM business is also good. All I know for sure is that he is busier today than I can recall.

Has Deboise considered just moving to NYC (setting up in brooklyn maybe)? I think he would dominate the market at his price point.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22
Has Deboise considered just moving to NYC (setting up in brooklyn maybe)? I think he would dominate the market at his price point.

He would also have to live in NY.
teacha.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sellahi22

I think that he's quite happy in Carlisle, although the charms of Brooklyn surely beckon us all.

- B

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't get it. Off the Line? Off the Phone?

The Doctor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Note that today, as presaged in the old article ending this post, the location in which Tom and he started Steed at 9 SR is kaput. Edwin sees clients in London now at Chittleborough & Morgan...

3263256403_ef01e1e665.jpg

...downstairs at 12 SR. Some of you will know that C&M incorporates Nutters via Joe Morgan (Edwin was at Nutters when Sexton was still there) and that C&M is tied with Castle Tailors in the City. Edwin's brother John is a cutter both out of Castle and C&M.

It seems to be a small world, Cumbria outposts notwithstanding.

- B

An old article:

Savile Row - just off Shaddongate
The Cumberland News

Published Friday, 17 December 2004

By Stephen Meredith

THERE'S no running water, no toilet and the front door doesn't open without a good shove - but for tailor Edwin DeBoise his new shop on Carlisle's Junction Street is a cut above Savile Row.

The 42-year-old now prefers to spend his time pondering the latest look on the catwalk while glancing out the front window of the former TV repair shop rather than measuring the inside leg of London's great and good in his Savile Row shop.

Just opposite the city's Post Office depot in a small terraced house bespoke tailors Steed - named after well-dressed Avengers star John Steed - is preparing themselves for an influx of passing trade.

No chance you may think, but right next door the transformation of one of Carlisle's best-known landmarks - Shaddon Mill - is being turned into luxury apartments with a six-figure price tag.

Mr DeBoise, who regularly travels to New York and Chicago to cut suits for the American upper crust, prefers to stay away from his number 9 Savile Row shop if at all possible. He hopes Carlisle's solicitors and managing directors may just fancy one of his £1,800 three-piece suits or two-piece garments at a respectable £545 as they leave their plush new apartments and head into the city for a day's work.

Mr DeBoise purchased the premises, which used to be a tailor's shop many years ago, with former hairdresser Heather Cowperthwaite. She is launching a line of Steed tailoring for women, with suits priced in the region of £600.

Mr DeBoise, who in the past has cut suits for the Prince of Wales, has owned his shop on Savile Row for nearly a decade but lived in the village of Southwaite for just as long after opening another branch of Steed in Warwick-on-Eden. His new premises on Junction Street opened last week after he decided a city centre location could be good for business.

"Around 85 per cent of my business is now in America," said Mr DeBoise. "I'm firmly based in Cumbria though and plan to go the Savile Row premises once every three weeks. But if I don't have to I'd much prefer to stay here. It's more relaxing.

"There's a little more to do in our new premises - we're still without a toilet and running water - but we're open and settling in well.

While Mr Deboise meets, greets, designs, measures, cuts and re-measures suits for customers, Ron Hardy, who has worked for Steed for seven years, can be found in an upstairs room in the premises busy making their unique creations come to life.

But your suit ordered in Cumbria could just as easily be made on Savile Row as Mr DeBoise regularly sends orders to his London base. The majority of female orders will also be made in London.

For more information on Steed call 01228 599555 or visit www.steed.co.uk

Just to let you all know that we do have running water and a toilet now....
fing02[1].gif

Edwin DeBoise

Steed Bespoke Tailors

www.steeds-view.blogspot.com

www.steed.co.uk

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads