• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Vass U-Last size 45

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings forum members, For sale is a pair of Vass Old English Plain model oxfords in oxblood boxcalf on the U-last in a size 45. I would guess these correspond to a US size 11 or 11.5. I bought them while in Budapest this past August. I hate to sell such beautiful shoes, but I now realize I wasn't fitted properly, and they are running 1/2 a size too big. They were worn only once outside to go to a nice dinner as can be seen by the surface marks on the sole. Other than that, shoes are in new condition. Measurements are: Outside sole Length: 12 3/4 inches Inside length: 12 1/4 inches Width at widest point: 4 1/4 inches I'm asking $760, including shipping in the U.S. International shippingand insurance will be extra. This will also include the shoe trees and shoe bags. I do not have the original box as I had to carry these shoes (among others) around Europe and Japan in my hand-carry before getting them back to the U.S. Hopefully I can sell them here before having to put them on ebay. Let me know if you have any questions or want more information.

pkincy

Reaction score
Puhlease next time you pick up a pair in Budapest, do so in a size 42.5 and I will happily buy them.

Perry

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got a pair of Norweger split toes on the R last in a 44 (US 11), also in oxblood calf, w/ the the same problem - a half size too big. I got them from Skyvalet in D.C. and have worn them a few times, always w/ an insole, so the footbed is nicde & pristine. I put on taps to protect them - they come w/ custom trees, shoebags & box. $450 if anyone's interested....
bigstar[1].gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures?

Thank you.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
I've got a pair of Norweger split toes on the R last in a 44 (US 11), also in oxblood calf, w/ the the same problem - a half size too big. I got them from Skyvalet in D.C. and have worn them a few times, always w/ an insole, so the footbed is nicde & pristine. I put on taps to protect them - they come w/ custom trees, shoebags & box. $450 if anyone's interested....
bigstar[1].gif

well, their goes my commish
devil.gif

BTW, romafan is a legit dude
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
$450 for pristine Vass is a deal that I would be all over if they were my size.

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
devil.gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Same here. I got fitted at Sky Valet in a 43.5 R-last... So close, and what a deal.

pejsek

Reaction score
teddieriley, those are great looking shoes! The U-last is great, of course, but what really caught my eye here was the heel (which is very nicely proportioned and features an expertly-executed slant).
Did you buy any shoes in Japan?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
devil.gif

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Not necessarily - I fall down in the pix department, which is of course the first question asked
musicboohoo[1].gif

I can snailmail crummy snapshots, but digital photography is uncharted territory for me (hence, edmorel's pending commission).

Ed - You're still the man!
thumbs-up.gif
I've got some CT/Loake suede derbys with the same problem - do you do volume?
wink.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
teddieriley, those are great looking shoes! The U-last is great, of course, but what really caught my eye here was the heel (which is very nicely proportioned and features an expertly-executed slant).
Did you buy any shoes in Japan?

I wish! I found several pairs of beautiful Italian shoes, but as you can imagine, they didn't have anything close to my size. I thought Isetan department store would be the place for me, but they had nothing larger than a US 9 1/2. After some effort, the salesperson told me I can find "big shoe," I guess for my abnormally HUGE feet (relatively speaking), on the 7th floor. I escalatored myself up only to find a meager selection of very clunky English shoes.

Shoe shopping wise, Japan was a complete disappointment. Sushi was excellent.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I wish! I found several pairs of beautiful Italian shoes, but as you can imagine, they didn't have anything close to my size. I thought Isetan department store would be the place for me, but they had nothing larger than a US 9 1/2. After some effort, the salesperson told me I can find "big shoe," I guess for my abnormally HUGE feet (relatively speaking), on the 7th floor. I escalatored myself up only to find a meager selection of very clunky English shoes.

Shoe shopping wise, Japan was a complete disappointment. Sushi was excellent.

I stumbled across a Large Size Men's Shoe Shop near Gotanda Station in Tokyo (if you get off at Gotanda Station, and ask someone who works in a nearby store, they will show you where it is -- also there's a large billboard for the shop right outside the station) -- I don't remember what size they started at, but they basically pick up where Japanese department stores like Isetan leave off -- they had plenty in my size (11.5/12) and went up to at least 15. They had all the great makers -- Edward Green and Santoni are two that come to mind, but they had something for everyone... shoe heaven!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
I stumbled across a Large Size Men's Shoe Shop near Gotanda Station in Tokyo (if you get off at Gotanda Station, and ask someone who works in a nearby store, they will show you where it is -- also there's a large billboard for the shop right outside the station) -- I don't remember what size they started at, but they basically pick up where Japanese department stores like Isetan leave off -- they had plenty in my size (11.5/12) and went up to at least 15. They had all the great makers -- Edward Green and Santoni are two that come to mind, but they had something for everyone... shoe heaven!
Outrageous prices? I've not yet been to Japan, so I really don't know. BTW, I would concur that the Vass U-last in a Euro size 45 corresponds to approximately a US size 11D. In my pre-orthotics days, I wore 11.5D and the Vass 45s I bought on the forum were too small.
cry.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're probably right about the sizing. I realize the less than ideal fit is due to my low instep which causes my foot to slide around a bit. I decided to keep the shoes (wearing them now actually). I used two tongue pads, and my heel is better secured into the heel cup. Although I have to tie them up pretty tight (i.e. no "V" spacing for all those that feel that proper fitting Oxfords has to have it). But whatever. The shoes are beautiful, and I had a brain fart thinking I should sell. I subconsciously probably didn't want to sell them, that's why I priced them so high. Either that, or i'm a greedy bastard.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
You're probably right about the sizing. I realize the less than ideal fit is due to my low instep which causes my foot to slide around a bit. I decided to keep the shoes (wearing them now actually). I used two tongue pads, and my heel is better secured into the heel cup. Although I have to tie them up pretty tight (i.e. no "V" spacing for all those that feel that proper fitting Oxfords has to have it). But whatever. The shoes are beautiful, and I had a brain fart thinking I should sell. I subconsciously probably didn't want to sell them, that's why I priced them so high. Either that, or i'm a greedy bastard.
Well, congrats you greedy bastard. Good that you made the fit work rather than having to give them up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics