• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Borrelli Shirt

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SOLD I'm offering for your consideration this Luigi Borrelli for Neiman Marcus French cuffed dress shirt for $30 shipped in the USA, $35 to our good neighbors to the north, and $40 shipped worldwide. It's been worn a few times, but is in like-new condition with no noticeable defects. Size 18, with 36" sleeves. It's blue, very soft, and has a nice sheen to it because it's interwoven completely with white thread... (if anybody knows the name for this type of fabric, please tell me!) This is an amazing shirt but a bit too big for me so I must reluctantly let it go... Although Borrelli shirts need no introduction, I will nevertheless share with you the following information that I gleaned from various websites: Borrelli shirts are completely handmade by "little old Italian ladies at their homes in the nearby countryside surrounding the Borrelli factory. When the ladies send the shirts back to the factory, the shirts have to be vigorously washed because they are covered in cigarette ash, dirt from the natural oil in the women's hands, tiny drops of blood, and the shirts smell like food. Of course by the time they reach your Neiman Marcus they are perfectly presentable examples of high-quality craftsmanship." http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/...li-shirts.html http://www.luigiborrelli.com/english...camicia_en.htm http://www.luigiborrelli.com/english...amicia2_en.htm http://www.luigiborrelli.com/english...amicia3_en.htm http://www.luigiborrelli.com/english...amicia4_en.htm
dscn8537wz6.jpg
In order to see the incredible detail of this shirt, I have links to some hi-res photos I took: "Mouche - It is the small white pentagon, made of taffeta and folded in a triangle, which joins the front with the back side of a Borrelli's shirt. Its sewing is also handmade in order to give to shirt an incredible firmness." Sleeve length is about 36". It's 36" long from the bottom of the collar to the bottom of the shirt. The buttons are "sewn through a three point stitch, called "a zampa di gallina", [which is] an old but so wonderful looking peculiarity of the Neapolitan sartorial art that only skilled artisans can realise." The mother-of-pearl collar button is etched with "Luigi Borrelli", and is thinner than the other buttons (those thick, mother-of-pearl buttons that Borrelli is so famous for.) Hand-stitching everywhere: This article also mentions the "little old ladies who hand-sew Luigi Borrelli dress shirts out of their homes in the hills near Naples, Italy, [and have been doing so] for the past 70 years": http://men.msn.com/articlebbb.aspx?cp-documentid=899078 A little history: "Founded in the beginning of the 19th Century, the house of Borrelli is one of Italy’s most prestigious boutiques of high quality. Today, Borrelli has a unique pedigree and maintains a century old tradition within the luxury clothing sector. The men's wear collections are renowned for their meticulous detail, uncompromising quality, high aesthetic standards and distinctive designs. Richly imagined, the Borrelli name is synonymous with an indelible portrait of confidence. With strengths and values derived from the very fabric of the greatest Neapolitan tailors, a skill that has been handed down over the generations, Borrelli remains true to the Italian heritage of 'Neapolitan style'. Borrelli maintains over 3,5000 of the best Italian fabrics for handmade shirts and suits that authentically reveal a diverse tradition of elegance. Especially created for the affluent international gentlemen and tailored to those who are adept in the art of living; whose intimate association with the finer things such as made-to-measure suits, Italian Sea Island cotton shirts with Mother of Pearl buttons, the finest cashmere sweaters and seven fold ties which only increase their passion for style. Today, Borrelli embodies that same authentic spirit for Italian-tailoring while maintaining a quest for fabric perfection gained from generations of experience. From the heart of Naples, each distinctive Borrelli original is made with passion to be worn for people who appreciate the details. For those who enjoy the moment and with whom fine Italian clothes mean more than simply a display of refined taste." http://www.workhousepr.com/undergrou...seersucker.php And Borrelli is big in Hollywood! Even Harrison Ford wears them (if you believe the following article): http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...8050/index.htm NOTE: I'm not including the collar stays... since I can't find where I put them at the moment... sorry! As always, money-back guarantee if not completely satisfied with purchase. PayPal and all other forms of payment gladly accepted.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another measurement -- chest (width of the shirt from seam to seam where the bottom of the sleeve meets the torso just under the arms) - 27", so chest is 54"...

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When measuring, I just noticed that the very last button on the front of the shirt is slightly chipped on the bottom of the button (so it's not noticeable, and would be tucked into your pants anyway, but just wanted to throw that out there.)

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New price -- $30 CONUS, $35 Canada and $40 worldwide.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's a stunning amount of care put into a below $100 listing. The guy looks like an awesome seller in many ways. Somebody snap this up!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, whacked, that's very kind of you!
smile.gif

The shirt's not having any fun just hanging in my closet, so I'm trying to find it a proper home... a shirt this beautiful deserves to be worn!

P3R3

Reaction score
This is unfair, the exact shirt I have been looking for, but not my size. What an awesome deal!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P3R3
This is unfair, the exact shirt I have been looking for, but not my size. What an awesome deal!

Thanks -- it is a very good price for a like-new Borrelli! Maybe if it's just too big for everybody I should see if Kent Wang would be interested in making pocket squares out of it...

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sold - sorry Kent! Maybe as I continue to clean out my closet, we'll have an opportunity for pocket squares made of fabrics from Kiton or Matuozzo or Fray or...

DShareef

Reaction score
The shirt arrived today. My first Borrelli. What a stunning shirt. Amazing work throughout. Thanks amerikajinda for a perfect transaction! The only problem- all of the other shirts in my closet, CT, BB et al, no longer seem adequate.

Cheers,

D

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DShareef
The shirt arrived today. My first Borrelli. What a stunning shirt. Amazing work throughout. Thanks amerikajinda for a perfect transaction! The only problem- all of the other shirts in my closet, CT, BB et al, no longer seem adequate. Cheers, D
Thanks, D! I knew you'd appreciate the skill of the little old Italian ladies... one possible solution to your "problem" could be to save the Borrelli just for the most special of occasions, and use the other shirts you have for everyday wear...
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ButtBoss