• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: (another) Brown Grenson Masterpiece/Paul Stuart Butterfly loafer (sz 11.5)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got these beautiful butterfly loafers from Bennie's sale last week and they are a bit large for me - so here's a chance for another SFer to grab them.

131-l.gif

http://www.benniesshoes.com/Merchant...y_Code=Size115

Same price ($250). Shipping is on me. PM me if interested.
[UPDATE: Shoes are on hold pending payment]
Thanks
---Greg

darkoak

Reaction score
Those are amazingly gorgeous--I have a pair and I highly recommend them. however, gdl, if you're picking up shipping, why not just return them to bennie's and get refund on your credit card? If you sell and get paid by paypal you'll get hit by paypal fees. If you get paid by check that'll take time to clear. Just a thought.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just got a pair of these from Whoopee and they are quite remarkable. The antiquing is superb and the last shape is most elegant. I highly recommend them!

edit: I also want to add that they are a beautiful shade of dark oak.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
gdl:

what size do you normally wear?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkoak
Those are amazingly gorgeous--I have a pair and I highly recommend them. however, gdl, if you're picking up shipping, why not just return them to bennie's and get refund on your credit card? If you sell and get paid by paypal you'll get hit by paypal fees. If you get paid by check that'll take time to clear. Just a thought.

I was under the impression that one could only return for exchange or store credit, not refund. Is that incorrect?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
gdl:

what size do you normally wear?

US11

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on hold

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I was under the impression that one could only return for exchange or store credit, not refund. Is that incorrect?
no, you can return for refund, as long as of course you don't wear them.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chris - good to know for next time... These are already going to another SF member

Originally Posted by nightowl6261a
no, you can return for refund, as long as of course you don't wear them.

darkoak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I just got a pair of these from Whoopee and they are quite remarkable. The antiquing is superb and the last shape is most elegant. I highly recommend them!

aportnoy: you bought the pair that whoopee personally spit shined and featured in a thread a few days ago? lucky dog!

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Probably too big for me. What do you think Chris?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy

Andrew, I got these too in 9.5. I quite like them, and they fit reasonably well (I always seem to have a little heel slippage with loafers, but with these it is minimal). However, I did notice one thing that surprised me a little: If you'll notice where the narrower strap on the inside of the shoe enters the slot in the wider strap, you'll see that the dark oak finish peters out so that a lighter color appears on the rest of that strap (the part lying under the wider strap). If there's no tension on the vamp at the strap location, this lighter color pretty well disappears, but it there is some tension from the instep on the straps, it will show for about 2 mm. That is, if yours are like mine! I think that this can be fixed by judicious use of some dark brown cream applied on the narrow strap for a short distance under the wider strap, but I was surprised to see this in a top-shelf shoe like a Grenson Masterpiece. It appears that the finisher simply treated the parts of the shoe that were most visible and didn't think to extend the finishing a little under the slot. It's certainly not a big deal, and I'm pleased with these shoes and grateful to Chris for making them available at a fabulous price, but I did find this oversight to be a little surprising.

BTW, for those of you who have both Grenson Masterpieces and C&J Handgrades, do you consider them to be equal in quality? The conventional wisdom I've seen on forums is that they are equal. What do you think?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Andrew, I got these too in 9.5. I quite like them, and they fit reasonably well (I always seem to have a little heel slippage with loafers, but with these it is minimal). However, I did notice one thing that surprised me a little: If you'll notice where the narrower strap on the inside of the shoe enters the slot in the wider strap, you'll see that the dark oak finish peters out so that a lighter color appears on the rest of that strap (the part lying under the wider strap). If there's no tension on the vamp at the strap location, this lighter color pretty well disappears, but it there is some tension from the instep on the straps, it will show for about 2 mm. That is, if yours are like mine! I think that this can be fixed by judicious use of some dark brown cream applied on the narrow strap for a short distance under the wider strap, but I was surprised to see this in a top-shelf shoe like a Grenson Masterpiece. It appears that the finisher simply treated the parts of the shoe that were most visible and didn't think to extend the finishing a little under the slot. I'm pleased with these shoes, but found this oversight to be mildly annoying.

BTW, for those of you who have both Grenson Masterpieces and C&J Handgrades, do you consider them to be equal in quality? The conventional wisdom I've seen on forums is that they are equal. What do you think?

Roger...I understand what you're saying but I must say that color variation is not apparant on my pair. That being said, there is some staining on the interior as well as what I consider to be sloppy work on the heel insert. All these minor imperfections lead me to believe that many (perhaps not all) of these shoes are Paul Stuart rejects that have some form of minor defect.

As for Masterpiece vs. Handgrade quality comparisons, I give the edge in antiquing/finishing to Grenson and the edge in construction/finishing to C&J. So they are close, but if forced to pick only one, I would probably go with C&J.

mtf

Reaction score
I think I'm going to return my pair in 10.5D too. Just a little too much heel slippage on my left foot. For reference my 9.5E lobb loafers fit perfectly. But my one other pair of Grenson's (feathermasters) never fit right either. Maybe Grenson's just aren't for me
frown.gif

Maybe I'll try putting in a small heel pad without actually using the adhesive first. They really are a gorgeous pair of shoes.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paul Stuart Grensons are a little more stylish than most of C&J's handgrades.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads